What to buy in Mexico???

nicrang

When we were last in Cabo we went to a little store in San Jose del Cabo that specialized in Tequila. we purchased a chocolate-coffee Tequila liquor called Kalore - licor de cafe. Delicious! We bought some for ouselves and as gifts. We have enjoyed it in shots and over ice cream. Yum!:D I do not care for the tequila you buy in the states, but love the blue agave licors available in Mexico.

I am looking forward to replenishing my vanilla stock. I plan on stopping at the Wal-Mart in PV for that. Also silver at a reputable store - not street vendors, unless it is so cheap that you really don't care as another poster said. I have done that also.

Talevera - available everywhere, but do look for the Talavera name. Some vendors will tell you that most of the pottery IS Televera, but that is not true. Talevera is much higher quality and is more expensive.

would love to know what kids usually ask their parent for? What souvinors are popular for kids. What are kids must haves/?

dd is 10 and ready to shop

My dd who was 10 at the time when we were in Mexico and we just sat on the beach for these she wanted her hair braided, brought a lovely sun dress and bracelet made out of string with her name on it she also brought a couple for her friends. She also wanted a soparndo which we didn't end up buying so maybe this trip we will.

We are from Australia doing Mexican Riviera cruise in March.Love shopping and just wondering if different ports offered different things?Where is best place to buy what???Thanks for your advice.Don't want to miss out!We intend to do Randi's Horse riding and Zip lining.

Make sure you get to the "normal" shops lots of bargains compared to Australia! Walmart is a must visit there is one in PV. Makeup is very cheap in US. All your Quicksilver and Billabong etc, jeans, Guess watches & bags and brand names are a lot cheaper than home.

Tile or pottery.

Talavera Pottery is Mexican Pottery. Make sure it is labeled on the bottom Talavera. Examples below:

101326_small.jpgTalavera_Plates.jpgInterior.jpg

I picked up a small bowl for about 100pesos.

I also have picked small 2in x 2in tiles to use in my countertops. I think I paid 75cents American for each of them. These are not Talavera, but a good imitation.

I am also going to be looking for Talavera pottery. Did you see large garden pots. Since we drive to our departure port it will be easy to take some big items home. Did you notice any difference in prices between Mazatlan, PV or Cabo?

Thanks.

I would love to pick up some of these tiles for my kitchen..They are so pretty and colorful. Is Talavera a special manufacturer? At which port did you purchase these? Do you remember the name of the place?

Thanks,

Emmy

I am also going to be looking for Talavera pottery. Did you see large garden pots. Since we drive to our departure port it will be easy to take some big items home. Did you notice any difference in prices between Mazatlan, PV or Cabo?

Thanks.

sorry, Just checked back on this thread:o.

I bought a small 6" bowl in Ensenada. They (and the imitations) are sold in a lot of the tourist shops. It is handmade/painted and the real ones are marked with "Talavera" on the bottom. The real ones are more money than the imitations but they have more intricate patterns. Since it is a popular pottery I am sure other ports have it as well.

Different shops have different items. I have seen large pots, vases, wall hangings, ornaments, assorted dishes, sinks, you name it.

Archived