Deeply shocked: MSC adds 15% on drinks and obligatory tips

atleetalie

I cruised with MSC THIS SUMMER. And now, for the coming season everything seems to be changed. I just read they add, for the coming season, 15% to your account for drinks. And the tips or gratuities, whatever you prefer, are obligatory by the name of 'service charge'.

I don't know if they changed the prices for this, but I think it's ridiculous doing this suddenly. It seems to me this is just for paying loans, which should be included in your fare.

I'm really upset about this.

I cruised with MSC THIS SUMMER. And now, for the coming season everything seems to be changed. I just read they add, for the coming season, 15% to your account for drinks. And the tips or gratuities, whatever you prefer, are obligatory by the name of 'service charge'.

I don't know if they changed the prices for this, but I think it's ridiculous doing this suddenly. It seems to me this is just for paying loans, which should be included in your fare.

I'm really upset about this.

Cruise lines have been adding tips to drinks (both individual and bar tabs) for as long as there have been people buying them, I think. As for the gratuity that you would be giving to your porter and waiter and others, most ppl ten to pay it up front added to their cruise cost so that they don't have to worry about it at the end. Can always add extra for someone who does a FABULOUS job for you, going FAR ABOVE and BEYOND. And, I suppose, if you are EXTREMELY disappointed with a particular individual and the service that he or she provided, you could go down and have that particular gratuity be taken off your room charge by the pursor. (sp?)

I don't understand what you are so upset about tho.:confused:

Well, some people here are always complaining that MSC isn't enough like the U.S. cruise lines. :-)

If it's any consolation, several other major cruise lines have bar service charges of 18 percent, which is 20 per cent more than MSC's 15 per cent. On a $5 drink, you'll save 30 cents by cruising with MSC. The more you drink, the more you'll save!

Allright,

This all may be a bit over the top, but you don't see my point. 'Suddenly' prices increased, packages cost still the same, and 15%. After a long time of calculating that's a 15% increase. And they are adding a service charge. Prices are still the same. And for me gratuities/tips sound like you want to thank the staff. Service charge sound like their income, which is apparently not included in your fare (partly of course). This may be personal, but I think some'll feel obliged paying additional tips.

P.S. Here in Holland, we are not used to service charges, (you order, see a price and pay that). And we are not quite statisfied when some strange costs are added.

P.S. Here in Holland, we are not used to service charges, (you order, see a price and pay that). And we are not quite statisfied when some strange costs are added.

Better stick to cruising in Holland, then. The Kinderdijk boat cruise from Rotterdam on the NEHALENNIA is quite pleasant, and you won't pay a service charge on the appelgebak or the drinks. :-)

It is funny how people see things very differently. Years ago I was on RCCL Song of Norway, I liked the cruise but did not like the fact that the tip wasn't included on drink orders, there was a line on the bill to add a tip, which meant MATH. So I would just throw a few bucks on every drink, then maybe skip that on one order and the waiter would ask if everything was OK....at the end of the cruise that was one thing I was sure to mention on the end of cruise questionaire. RCCL has long ago changed that policy to the automatic tip which is a good thing. I mean we all know these hard working people work for tips, I wouldn't want them to be shortchanged because I do not like Math....

Joe

We just returned from the Transatlantic cruise on the Poesia. A service charge of 6 Euro per person per day was added to our bill. This information was given at the beginning of the cruise, and you had the opportunity to change that if you wished. The service charge is then divided between all the staff doing jobs that affect all passengers. You then can give a little extra to particular individuals who have done extra for you, if you wish. There are so many people who are serving you at meals, working around the pool area, etc, that would not be receiving individual tips, so the shared pot is really more fair. We had the service charge automatically charged, then gave a few Euro extra to our cabin attendants and our evening waiter. Charges for the bar items include the tip in the price because not everyone drinks, so it's not fair for them to share in the other money pool. The same for the Spa. There the tip is not included, so you would tip those workers as you would anywhere else.

Two days before the end of the cruise you receive an accounting of your charges up to that date, and they again explain the service charge policy for the automatic charge and let you know that if you want to do it differently, go to the accounting desk and talk to them. Some people asked to have it taken off because they thought it should be paid by MSC. All the staff worked so hard to please everyone and were so accommodating, that we didn't resent paying it at all. It's much more fair than just tipping a few people.

By the way, when the Poesia is in this part of the world, all charges are in dollars, not Euros.

I don't know when your cruise was, but ours was in July. And it was just the way you described. But I thought they were changing it for the new season (starting this winter), 'cause I read so on their internetpage. Maybe, and I wouldn't be surprised, it's just a translation fault. It wouldn't be the first time.

Allright,

This all may be a bit over the top, but you don't see my point. 'Suddenly' prices increased, packages cost still the same, and 15%. After a long time of calculating that's a 15% increase. And they are adding a service charge. Prices are still the same. And for me gratuities/tips sound like you want to thank the staff. Service charge sound like their income, which is apparently not included in your fare (partly of course). This may be personal, but I think some'll feel obliged paying additional tips.

Hi Atleetalie

Would you mind telling me whether thsi new pricing structure is for all cruises or just the US ones and when it comes into effect

Thanks

BEDIENINGSTOESLAGEN

Alle diensten aan boord voor de MSC gasten zijn onderworpen aan een bescheiden bedieningstoeslag die aan de gasten gefactureerd zal worden. De betaling gebeurt aan het einde van de cruise en hangt af van het aantal dagen dat de diensten geleverd worden. De bedieningstoeslag heeft als doel de hoogste kwaliteitsstandaarden van diensten voor de passagiers te verzekeren.

Het bedrag van de bedieningstoeslag staat vast en kan niet veranderd worden:

· Cruises op de Middellandse Zee en in Noord-Europa:

- 8 dagen of minder: 7 euro/dag per volwassene

- Meer dan 8 dagen: 6 euro/dag per volwassene, de transatlantische herfstcruises inbegrepen.

Er is geen bedieningstoeslag voor kinderen jonger dan 14 jaar, voor gasten tussen 14 en 17 jaar wordt 50% van de bedieningstoeslag voor volwassene aangerekend.

· Cruises naar de Caribbean en Noord-Amerika: 12 dollar/dag per volwassene; 6 dollar/dag per kind onder 18 jaar, transatlantische lentecruises inbegrepen.

· Cruises naar Zuid-Amerika: 9 dollar/dag per volwassene; 4,5 dollar /dag per kind onder 18 jaar, transoceanische lentecruises inbegrepen.

· Cruises naar Zuid-Afrika:

Seizoen 2009/2010

Zuid-Afrika Cruises: 4 dollar/dag per volwassene

Positioneringscruises:

- Naar Zuid-Afrika: 6 euro/dag per volwassene

- Komend van Zuid-Afrika: 6 dollar/dag per volwassene

Vanaf het seizoen 2010/2011

Zuid-Afrika Cruises: 6 dollar/dag per volwassene

Positioneringscruises:

- Naar Zuid-Afrika: 6 euro/dag per volwassene

- Komend van Zuid-Afrika: 6 dollar/dag per volwassene

De toepasselijke service charge voor kinderen onder 18 jaar bedraagt 50% van de bovenstaande bedragen.

Op alle aankopen in bars en restaurants wordt aan het einde van de cruise een service charge van 15 % aan de rekening toegevoegd.

Deze genoemde bedragen zijn geldig op volgende cruises:

MSC Armonia herfst transatlantisch van Europa naar Zuid-Amerika 15.11.2009-06.12.2009

MSC Fantasia Middellandse Zee cruise 22.12.2009-30.12.2009

MSC Lirica herfst transatlantisch van Europa naar Zuid-Amerika 5.10.2009-23.10.2009

MSC Melody herfst transatlantisch van Europa naar Zuid-Amerika 23.10.2009-06.11.2009

MSC Musica herfst transatlantisch van Europa naar Zuid-Amerika 1.11.2009-19.11.2009

MSC Opera herfst transatlantisch van Europa naar Zuid-Amerika 26.10.2009-12.11.2009

MSC Orchestra herfst transatlantisch van Europa naar Zuid-Amerika 30.11.2009-18.12.2009

MSC Poesia herfst transatlantisch naar de Verenigde Staten 24.10.2009-10.11.2009

MSC Sinfonia herfst transatlantisch van Europa naar Zuid-Afrika 24.10.2009-13.11.2009

MSC Splendida Middellandse Zee cruise 19.12.2009-29.12.2009

Er worden geen fooien gevraagd aan boord.

msccruises.nl

The quote above is my source, it's in Dutch but from MSC's own website.

In short it says you have to pay a service charge, these charges are different for each cruise region, Cruises to Nothern America and the Carribean 12$ per person. Europe is 6 or 7 euros. South America 4$ for this season (2009/2010) for the next this will be 6$.

And it says 'Het bedrag van de bedieningstoeslag staat vast en kan niet veranderd worden' which means you can't change the service charge.

"Op alle aankopen in bars en restaurants wordt aan het einde van de cruise een service charge van 15 % aan de rekening toegevoegd." This means a 15% charge is added to your purachases in bars and restaurants.

And below "Er worden geen fooien gevraagd aan boord." We do not ask you for gratuities.

I hope I explained it well to you, so you know the way it is, although what the website claims.

msccruises.nl

The quote above is my source, it's in Dutch but from MSC's own website.

In short it says you have to pay a service charge, these charges are different for each cruise region, Cruises to Nothern America and the Carribean 12$ per person. Europe is 6 or 7 euros. South America 4$ for this season (2009/2010) for the next this will be 6$.

And it says 'Het bedrag van de bedieningstoeslag staat vast en kan niet veranderd worden' which means you can't change the service charge.

"Op alle aankopen in bars en restaurants wordt aan het einde van de cruise een service charge van 15 % aan de rekening toegevoegd." This means a 15% charge is added to your purachases in bars and restaurants.

And below "Er worden geen fooien gevraagd aan boord." We do not ask you for gratuities.

I hope I explained it well to you, so you know the way it is, although what the website claims.

Thanks you explained that really well for me.

Interestingly enough, I just got off a cruise to South Africa at the weekend and the service charge was indeed 6 euros per day. I noticed in the blurb in one of the dailies that they were saying that it was fairer to all staff as everyone gets a cut including those we may not see (e.g in laundry). They also for the first time recommended that you did not give cash to individuals. I did not alter the auto tip, but several at my table did without any issues (except they had to wait until the final few days of the cruise to get the form to sign to vary the amount) - i.e. the usual policy. However it could be that the ship has not yet caught up with the new rule and they may start enforcing the website policy of not allowing alterations soon.

We did not get a 15% add on to drinks bills either - but again that is not to say they won't in the future

Archived