NCL versus Princess - Western Caribbean

MayasWay

We are looking at two western Caribbean cruises that fit our timeframe, one from NCL (Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize) the other a Princess (Roatan, Cayman, Cozumel) cruise. We've only cruised on RCC. We'll be traveling with our mid-70's parents, it will be their first cruise. Any opinions on which might be the better pick or advice on what the differences might be between lines?

Thanks!

We have only sailed NCL, (until four days from now, RCCL) but we loved NCL Star. The specialty restaurants were fantastic and extremely affordable. We have heard that the cruise lines are more the same than different.

I imagine that the best thing you can do is read as much as you can and decide on your own, knowing quite a bit about each line from this website.

Sorry I couldn't actually have real advice.

We are looking at two western Caribbean cruises that fit our timeframe, one from NCL (Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize) the other a Princess (Roatan, Cayman, Cozumel) cruise. We've only cruised on RCC. We'll be traveling with our mid-70's parents, it will be their first cruise. Any opinions on which might be the better pick or advice on what the differences might be between lines?

Thanks!

I just got back from my first Princess and loved it. I have traveled on NCL many times. I prefer Princess. But, to me the ports and timing is more important then the ship. (and best deal):o

To me Princess is more formal, and NCL is more relaxed. The only thing I see is the Costa Maya port and the Grand Cayman port difference, if you are taking 70's something parents you might want to decide what you would do at those ports and let that determine which cruise to take, also Belize is much more primitive then Cozumel. I think if I were taking 70's something parents I would look at Eastern ports instead, the Western ports are more activity and excursions and the Eastrern is geared more for sightseeing and shopping. I think any cruise is great, but if your parents aren't real active of the two choices you have I would go with the Princess ports. If they are in great shape and like to snorkel, and cave tube go with NCL, you can get a nice massage in Costa Maya for 20.00.

DH and I are taking NCL's Spirit to the Caribbean in April, and Costa Maya is on the itinerary... Where did you find a massage for 20 bucks?? Sounds way too good to be true. We plan on deep sea fishing there, but I'd MAKE time for a good massage (lol).

Thanks for this and any other info you might be willing to share about shore excursions.

Marsha

Bowling Green, Kentucky

m.slevin@insightbb.com

DH and I are taking NCL's Spirit to the Caribbean in April, and Costa Maya is on the itinerary... Where did you find a massage for 20 bucks?? Sounds way too good to be true. We plan on deep sea fishing there, but I'd MAKE time for a good massage (lol).

Thanks for this and any other info you might be willing to share about shore excursions.

Marsha

Bowling Green, Kentucky

m.slevin@insightbb.com

When you get to Costa Maya you walk through the shopping area to the bus and taxi area behind it and you go to Mahahual and there at the beach they do massages for 20.00 for 50 minutes, they take the ladies to a covered area and they do the men on the beach. They also have good food and drinks, you just run a tab with your waiter and at the end of the day pay out. This is one of our favorite stops to just relax for the day and let the Grandchildren play at the beach. The shopping is nothing special, but the massage for 20.00 plus tip is a big plus.

Archived