Princess versus NCL - Western Caribbean

MayasWay

We are looking at two western Caribbean cruises that fit our timeframe, one from NCL (Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize) the other a Princess (Roatan, Cayman, Cozumel) cruise. We've only cruised on RCC. We'll be traveling with our mid-70's parents, it will be their first cruise. Any opinions on which might be the better pick or advice on what the differences might be between lines?

Thanks!

Based on the age of your parents I would recommend Princess. The crowd won't be as rowdy. The Freestyle cruising concept of NCL at dinner time is hectic. Princess' Anytime dining works much better. Princess will have plenty to offer in the way of entertainment for everybody. Unless you need a rockclimbing wall and bowling at sea, I would recommend Princess.

Some of it, of course, depends on your parents. Princess has a lovely but more subtle decor, and generally a pretty lively but elegant atmosphere. Food in the MDR is better, buffet is open 24 hrs, and MUTS is a big hit with most people on warm weather cruises. Princess does observe 2 formal nights where almost everyone dresses up in the MDRs--- although the buffet or specialty restaurants are always smart casual. On NCL, the colors are very bright, which you may or may not like. There are no required formal nights, and dress overall is much more casual than on Princess. There is a bigger choice in specialty restaurants ---- all have a surcharge ranging from $10-$25/pp, but we really enjoyed the chance to have Italian or Mexican or teppanyaki when we wanted. Anyway, we prefer Princess overall but don't hesitate to book NCL if the price and itinerary are right.

I would say go with Princess. We felt like Norwegian charges for everything! They have nice cabins, but it always smelled like sewer. We have done Princess twice with our third cruise coming up and just feel like the service is better on Princess. I think Princess is more sophisticated if that makes sense...Hope that helps your decision.

We are looking at two western Caribbean cruises that fit our timeframe, one from NCL (Roatan, Costa Maya, Belize) the other a Princess (Roatan, Cayman, Cozumel) cruise. We've only cruised on RCC. We'll be traveling with our mid-70's parents, it will be their first cruise. Any opinions on which might be the better pick or advice on what the differences might be between lines?

Thanks!

Cayman and Coz trump Costa Maya and Belize, no contest.

BTW -Age is not an isssue, so says this mid 70s cruiser! :p

Thanks so much for the input. I was concerned about crowds and congestion being overwhelming ... I'd like the trip to be relaxing and fun for them so they'll consider going again! I think we'll go with Princess as a first cruise.

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend Princess. Your parents will be intrigued by the sheer elegance, beauty, and layout of the ship. It has a more relaxing and peaceful vibe. I haven't done NCL but Princess twice this year.

As a RCCL travelers you might miss the more lively and upbeat vibe.

Archived