which activity on which island?

berkyvdr

We are cruising the Southern Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess in February, visiting St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados.

I am interested in diving, kayaking, doing a zipline and a sailing regatta. We have cruised before and find that ship sponsored shore excursions are often overpriced and crowded. However we are also aware that if one books an excursion privately, the ship will not wait for you if you are late.

If we book a private excursion, we plan to do this early in the day, so we would have plenty of time to return to the ship, considering of course that ship booked excursion goers would be first off the boat.

There are ziplines in Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados—which one should I choose if I can only go once?

Is it possible to participate in a sailing regatta if one does not book this through the ship? I would gladly do this through the ship if one cannot participate privately.

Having just received my open water certification, it is very important to me to do another dive feeling confident that the dive operator will respect and understand my novice status. I wish to book a dive where my husband will be able to snorkel while I dive (an ear problem prevents him from diving) Because St. Thomas is a US Virgin Island, US safety standards would apply, so that offers me some measure of reassurance, however many of the other islands also have PADI sponsored instructors and dive masters.

We can afford one excursion per island and the remainder of our port time we will wander around or check out a beach close to the place we are docked or anchored.

So what activity would you suggest I do on which island? I am planning to email tour operators on the islands, but your comments will help me narrow it down.

Thanks for all your help.

Archived