New to cruising

I 1have just booked dream caribbean highlights cruise for my mother and myself for march 2011, and this will be our first cruise, my husband and myself have travelled worldwide but this will be my first cruise and travelling without my husband. it feels quite daunting after reading reviews as you sometimes have you own way of talking, nieve i know. any good pointers would be appreciated regarding booking excursions, money, visas, costs of drinks as to be ai was £300+ and my mother doesn't drink as i do, like a fish

Hi and welcome aboard.

DW (wife) and i were in the same position as you in April last year. She's never cruised before and I had not been since the school educational cruises in the 1960's.

What a ship to start your 1st cruise, Thomson's new one. (Even though she's 2nd hand)

We've never done Caribbean so can't help with the destination.

But you ask away there's loads of lovely people on here who are glad to help, doesn't matter how silly you might think the question is.

about the All Inclusive, we are all very surprised that they have charged for it on both ships doing the Caribbean next winter. Normally it's "free" for early bookers like you and then they charge as it gets nearer the sailing date.

Unlike the U.S. cruise ships Thomson's are reasonable for drinks prices, about same as normal pub prices. eg. about £2.80 a pint for beer.

Berwyn

You'll soon get the hang of it - and I'm sure you'll find plenty of help and tips on here. Quite a few of the ports are common to those on the Coral Islands itinerary (on Destiny) which a number of us did last season. If you have a look at the thread on 'Coral Islands' (I think it's just been pulled up to near the top again) you'll be able to see which excursions people have tried - also DiY approaches. Barbados is under the Caribbean Gems itinerary reports from last year - in the 'Search this forum' tab, enter Caribbean Gems and the threads covering that itinerary appear in a new window. If you have any problems finding them, get back but there's loads of info/discussion about those ports which I'm sure will help.

As Cuba, Curacao and Aruba are new to Thomson you may gather more information from the 'Ports' Forum (Caribbean) - but a few other posters on here may have been to those ports with other cruise lines and will be able to help.

Any general questions you have though - just ask - it's a friendly bunch on here so don't be shy!!! I'm sure you'll love cruising and as Berwyn has said, you've chosen well - the Dream looks lovely and with the 'Thomson product' it looks like a very good combination.

Found the links (your destinations are a mixture from both itineraies):

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=929750

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=930536&highlight=caribbean+gems

Hi,

Was thinking there's not much point bombarding with you with too much information just yet as you've got so long to go, unless there's anything specific you want to know..

Also we should get plenty of info. back from the cruisers who go on her when she moves over next year.

Berwyn

Archived