DIY: Monte Carlo to Nice and/or Cannes. HELP

ajtraveler66

We have written quite a lot on this subject which you can probably find by doing a search. But here is a capsule summary. For going between Monte Carlo and Nice the local bus is a good option since you can easily walk to the bus stop from the port, the bus only costs 1 Euro, and you get a better view on the bus as opposed to the train. Cannes is a different issue since its much further (about an hour on the train). So, for Cannes you would definitely want to use the regional train. The line from Monte Carlo actually goes through Nice, Antibes, (plus other stops) and eventually gets to Cannes. These trains are similar to commuter trains and require no reservations or advance tickets. It is possible to walk from the port to the Monte Carlo train station, but many prefer to take a local bus or taxi. In Cannes, the train station is within walking distance to just about everything in the main tourist part of town.

Hank

All I wonder, why you want to go to Cannes at all, when you are already in Monaco? The Principality has so much to offer, that you need more than a day to explore it in depth.

Personally, I like Monaco, the mountaineous coast line and the quaint places in this area much more than Cannes -- but that is, of course, a very personal opinion.

You find everything in Monaco, which you have in Cannes, too... and more. From interesting museums, to beautiful parks, luxury boutiques, a bustling city center, sports and walking/hiking opportunities, bars and cafés, unusual galleries; there's a wide selection of things to do and see.

Check previous write-ups for this port in the message boards and http://www.visitmonaco.com.

Enjoy your stay in Monte-Carlo!

Thanks..... I think I catch your drift. And you are helping us establish our itinerary.

We'd just like to be able to say we've been to France. (This may be the only chance...who knows).

So a quick trip to Nice to grab a bite...or just set foot in the place is probably all we will do....especially now that you've hinted how nice Monte Carlo is.

My guess is a hop on the bus and back is all we'll do. Then we can spend the rest of the day exploring/taking in the view while in Monte Carlo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hlitner (or anybody), I am just starting to research planning a one day cruise ship stop in Monaco, and would probably be interested in taking the bus to Nice and any itineraries planned around that. I appreciate the bit of summary information above, and can appreciate how tiresome it must be to repeat it over and over, and I don't request you do that. I just searched on your username in the France ports of this forum and came up with 8 posts by you dating back to August 26, 2009, all of which I will read. If you (or anybody) have perchance saved links or bookmarks to the best threads on this topic, I would dearly love to read them. Or if I will find the details in the posts sinec August 26, 2009, never mind, and thanks for making thsoe posts.

We will be there April 18, 2010, on the Holland America Eurodam from 10 am to 6 pm.

Thanks,

Juju

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you traviling to Monte Carlo/Nice You must go to Eze. It's

not for the unfit or disabled but worth the walk. You will not see anything

like it. We are taking our two daughters in June.

Archived