Renting a car in Aruba

cruislovin

We were in Aruba back in Oct. and we rented a four wheel drive vehicle. We were one of about 6 other vehicles rented from our cruise. We found it easy to rent a "jeep" and a lot of fun to travel around the small county. We did not arrive until 1:00 pm so our time was short because we wanted to return the vehicle to somebody and they closed at 6:30 (i think). We first headed south (?) to Baby Beach, then to Charlie's Bar for a cold one, then off to the natural bridge and on our way back to the ship we went though downtown and saw some great sights. I would do it again;we had such a good time and it was our time not a tourguide's. The people we met were friendly and helpful. The island is easy to get around except the downtown area There they have quite alot of one way streets and they are much different from the states where you have a one-way street going say to the east and the next is a one-way headed west, that just was not the case. Oh, and the roads along the route to the natural bridge are pretty torn up but we never had to put it in four wheel drive. I hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Rent a jeep if you can!!! We rented a jeep in 4/04 and explored the island ourselves and it was awesome!!! You can go anywhere and parking was not anymore problematic than here in the states. If you can, take a ride out to the natural pool - it is quite an adventure and quite a rough 4x4 experience, but worth the trip to Aruba itself - just allow enough time to get back. If you cannot get to the natural pool (which took us about 1 1/2 hours to get to) then just cruise around the island and check out the local sites and the dwellings and of course stop at a few watering holes. I would say that Aruba is best seen with your own transportation. The island is not very big therefore you can drive around and not get lost (you can judge your compass by the direction of the divi trees) nor be far from the pier....enjoy:)

I have a couple questions if you don't mind...

1 - Which rental agency did you use? I see Thrifty is at the airport and Avis has a couple sites as well

2 - What kind of 4x4 did you get. I see that that some agencies have Suzukis and Hyundais and then Thrifty has a P/T cruiser? Just curous if I should expect a Jeep Liberty or a Suzuki Sidekick!

We rented through a company called More 4 Less (I even have their local tel#887255 from a pic I took of my finace' next to the jeep). It was called a Rocsta jeep, which is basically exactly like a Wrangler jeep. They also rent Susuki jeeps, but I would go with the Rocsta(Wrangler). It is larger, meatier and much more sturdy on the trails - it was a great vehicle. It comes with a stereo that you just pop the face out and take with you when you exit the jeep. The company was located across the street from the airport but they will pick you up anywhere, including the cruise terminal - and on time. We had a great experience with them. We loved the fact the we returned the jeep covered in about an inch of dirt and dust (inside and out) and they didn't even flinch. I highly recommend them.

I am leaving in 12 hours for my wedding cruise so forgive me if you have any more questions and I don't respond until after 1/23:D

Hey Jodi....

Lots of luck on your honeymoon....

Short story.... Some 15 years ago my husband and I went to Aruba on our honeymoon, and it was incredible.....

So now an old married couple, last year after 15 years of marriage we went back to Aruba.... It was so much fun to go back. We remembered how great that week was... It brought back such great memories... All thoes years behind us, we enjoyed Aruba equally as much, 15 years later....

I wish you the best happiness with your marriage and hope that you in 15 yrs are as happy as my better half and me are.....It all started with that great honeymoon in Aruba

Janet

Archived