Alexandria with El Alamein

kiwicruiser

Has anyone been able to locate a tour that combines in one day the sights of Alexandria with a visit to El Alamein. We are in Alexandria on Tuesday 28th September (Westerdam) and keen to make the most of our day as the ship doesn't sail until 11 pm.

If you have visited El Alamein, what did you think - is it worth the visit?

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I took a look at the Moustafa website and it seems that their Alamein tour just goes there for the day and I was hopeful that we could combine it with a half day tour of Alexandria.

Maybe I'm asking for too much and a decision has to be made re Alamein OR Alexandria.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I took a look at the Moustafa website and it seems that their Alamein tour just goes there for the day and I was hopeful that we could combine it with a half day tour of Alexandria.

Maybe I'm asking for too much and a decision has to be made re Alamein OR Alexandria.

Kia ora,

Hope there are other replies to your query too as we are interested in doing something similar when we overnight in Alexandria next year

Aquarians icon7.gificon7.gif

Wow - another Kiwi. Good to hear from you.

From the research I have done it would appear that hiring a cab for the day is the best option and asking the driver to take you to the Alexandria sites that you want to see followed by Alamein. Actually the oher way around might be better as the Alamein Museum closes at 4 pm (earlier in Ramadan).

We did something similar a few years ago in Ephesus and it worked out well provided you have access to Lonely Planet or info from the net so you can read about what you are seeing.

Certainly Ramses tours were less than enthusiastic about customising something for us and I haven't found anyone else.

Wow - another Kiwi. Good to hear from you.

From the research I have done it would appear that hiring a cab for the day is the best option and asking the driver to take you to the Alexandria sites that you want to see followed by Alamein. Actually the oher way around might be better as the Alamein Museum closes at 4 pm (earlier in Ramadan).

We did something similar a few years ago in Ephesus and it worked out well provided you have access to Lonely Planet or info from the net so you can read about what you are seeing.

Certainly Ramses tours were less than enthusiastic about customising something for us and I haven't found anyone else.

Kia ora,

Thanks for info.

Aquarians

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Alexandria on the Equinox in October and did El Alamein and Alexandria with Nile Blue. We had a driver, a guide, and an armed guard who met us at the passenger terminal in Alexandria (there were 2 of us - it was our honeymoon).

Our tour was arranged so that we first drove to El Alamein and toured the museum and the memorial. We then drove back to Alexandria and saw the Library of Alexandria, the Catacombs (amazing), Fort Qaitbay, Montaza Palace, and the Abul Abbas Mosque. It was a fantastic day and we really enjoyed the drive to El Alamein in the morning.

Our second day (ship overnighted in Alexandria), we went to Cairo and saw Giza, the Nile, Memphis, Sakkara, and a couple of shopping stops that we requested.

-Jen

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Alexandria several times and seen everything I wanted to see. Later this month I'll be on the MSC Splendida stopping again at Alex. This time I arranged a private tour with Ramses to El Alamein. I told them I just wanted to go see Alamein, have lunch, and then return to the ship. No problem. The quoted price for the trip and guide was €84 or $120 which I thought was more than reasonable for just one person.

• 4 weeks later...
We were in Alexandria on the Equinox in October and did El Alamein and Alexandria with Nile Blue. We had a driver, a guide, and an armed guard who met us at the passenger terminal in Alexandria (there were 2 of us - it was our honeymoon).

Our tour was arranged so that we first drove to El Alamein and toured the museum and the memorial. We then drove back to Alexandria and saw the Library of Alexandria, the Catacombs (amazing), Fort Qaitbay, Montaza Palace, and the Abul Abbas Mosque. It was a fantastic day and we really enjoyed the drive to El Alamein in the morning.

Our second day (ship overnighted in Alexandria), we went to Cairo and saw Giza, the Nile, Memphis, Sakkara, and a couple of shopping stops that we requested.

-Jen

if you had to choose between the two which would you choose?

thankyou. sandy:)

Archived