Norwegian Fjords June 2010

ronanrn

Has anyone done this cruise before Looking for info Have sailed an Quest last June and loved it in Best of Italy Need info on Norway shore excursions Thanks

I see that nobody answered yet - so here is little information that I can provide.

We haven't done the Norway fjords cruise (although it's one I would love to do) - but we did the one of Iceland (June 2009) and it included just one fjord - Geiranger. While there we took the ship excursion to Dalsnibba mountain which is spectacular..

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

It sure was a beautiful sight looking at our ship so far below while snow was softly falling on us.

Since the original poster is new to Cruise Critis, I suggest he or she go to the "Ports of Call" section of this board and hit on "Europe", then "Northern Europe" as there are posts there regarding Norway ports.

Best regards,

Sheila

Hi ronanrn,

My DH and I were on the Norwegian cruise last July and loved it. Norway has got to be one of the most beautiful countries we've ever visited. While we were able to navigate Bergen nicely on our own, we took the ship's excursions everywhere else. For Oslo, public transportation is available, but too much time is wasted waiting for the buses. The ship's tour we took just made better use of our time, taking us to the four places we most wanted to visit, and providing a tour guide as well. As for the other stops, they are in small villages, with the emphasis on stunning scenery. There is generally no public transport, with the exception of one port where there is a train. What you need to consider is the time that you arrive and if there will be any other ships docked at the same time. The train can only accommodate so many passengers, and the pre-arranged ship's tours take up a fair number of seats. In the other towns, at best, there may be one or two taxis, and I've read that even if one pre-books them, they may not honor that reservation if someone comes along before you get there. I guess "a bird in the hand..." At any rate, for peace of mind we went with the ship's tours and had no regrets, and we are usually DIY'ers. If you have any specific questions, please post them. I can always pull out my notes and give you more detailed information once I know exactly what you want to know. Hope this overview helped.

Harriet

My DH and I were on the Norwegian cruise last July and loved it.
For our future reference, would you be so kind as to tell us about that last voyage of yours: how many days, which port to which, what fare for which category (and do you remember how much for a basic balcony), and whether it included airfare or shipboard goodies? Thank you kindly.

Hi Ronanrn

We just booked that cruise this week!

We did two Azamara cruises this year and both were outstanding! So we decided to book with Az again for this itinerary I had my eyes on for a while.

We also did a Norway-Iceland-Greenland cruise last year, and just loved the scenery and the relaxing cruising days.

I've started a Roll Call, so if you decide to book, make sure to join me on there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1097050

Hope to see you on board!

MC

The cruise was 12 nights, departing from and returning to Copenhagen, Denmark. We had the option of booking with air, but chose not to, as we went on to London from Copenhagen. (There's a great non-stop overnight flight from Phoenix to London that gets us to Europe most efficiently.) I'm sorry, but I do not remember the cost of the cruise, but we did think it was reasonably priced, so much so that we booked the Baltics cruise prior to the Norway trip and did back to back cruises. There were no incentives given by AZ, but our TA always gives us onboard credit. Hope this info. helps.

Harriet

Hi Ronanrn:

Just joined this thread this morning. My husband and I are booked on this cruise and I'm very excited. I traveled to Norway in 1968 (still young at heart) and loved it. I particularly enjoyed Flam and the special train that goes between Myrdal and Flam and the town of Voss. Though I was dating my husband at the time, we were not married and I always wanted to bring him to see the fjords. I have looked for a cruise just like this for quite a while, but most only stopped at one or at the most two ports. I would highly recommend that ship's tour. I am a do-it-yourselfer also but there is a lot to see at that one stop. Also my husband and I sailed on the Journey to Bermuda, the first year of its operation. Enjoyed the intimacy of the ship and feel it will be able to get into the smaller ports.

By the way, I live on Long Island as well. We live in Freeport. Let's communicate some more. Where are you?

Mary Ann

• 1 month later...

Well Generals Lady we have a lot in common. We live on Long Island in Smithtown I am 62 and a retired RN from the North Shore Health System. I am Norwegian and Irish so I have a special desire to see some of the places I heard about. We are still deciding on the trip, and have a few friends also interested I just bought Frommers Norway Will we get to see the Northern Lights????? Maureen

DH and I did this trip 2 summers ago. First time on AZ. We were worried it would not be as good as Oceania. It did not matter at all and was almost as good. To be able to gaze at such beauty almost 20 hours a day was incredible. Every fjord is breathtaking, every excursion takes you into more fabulous scenery. I never wanted to sleep. We have cruised a lot and this trip remains our favorite. We also loved our time in Copenhagen. We walked or took water taxis everywhere. You will love the cruise. ddcruiser

• 5 weeks later...

Archived