Gluten,Wheat,Soy,Dairy,Beef FREE Cruising?!

beachchick24

Hello !!

We are cruising for our first time ( !!!!!!!! ) in February 2010 on Carnival Freedom, and one member of our party of 6 has a very specialized diet which doesnt allow any of the above mentioned (Gluten, Wheat, Soy, Dairy, Beef). Just wondering if Carnival offers alternatives such as Turkey Bacon or gluten-free muffins for breakfast , any Rice Bread, (that one may be a stretch!) and sauces to put on salmon/chicken which fit the diet requirements?

I have read on this forum that most cruise lines are extremely helpful when it comes to food allergies, but I have not read anything about rice bread, or turkey bacon or gluten-free muffins.

Is the best think to do is to just talk to the maitre'd (sp?) on the first day aboard and work out a gameplan? Has anyone been cruising with the same allergies?

Thanks !

Hello !!

We are cruising for our first time ( !!!!!!!! ) in February 2010 on Carnival Freedom, and one member of our party of 6 has a very specialized diet which doesnt allow any of the above mentioned (Gluten, Wheat, Soy, Dairy, Beef). Just wondering if Carnival offers alternatives such as Turkey Bacon or gluten-free muffins for breakfast , any Rice Bread, (that one may be a stretch!) and sauces to put on salmon/chicken which fit the diet requirements?

I have read on this forum that most cruise lines are extremely helpful when it comes to food allergies, but I have not read anything about rice bread, or turkey bacon or gluten-free muffins.

Is the best think to do is to just talk to the maitre'd (sp?) on the first day aboard and work out a gameplan? Has anyone been cruising with the same allergies?

Thanks !

Haven't ever been on Carnival, but many others. Call NOW - or have your travel agent do so. There should be an equivalent of NCL's Special Needs department. Better yet, FAX or Email so you have a written record showing the full list of needs since it is so complex.

There are many things that can be brought on board for your cruise that might not normally be onboard. I'm trying to get Redbridge beer for my January/ Feb cruises.

Most lines work hard to be accommodating, but there are lots of hidden problems. Don't know how long your friend has been dealing with this, but hard ones for me to learn were ketchup (Heinz is GF), hot chocolate (Nestles is a no-no, Swiss Miss is fine - malt), soy sauce (1/2 wheat) and some champagnes (malt).

Oh, I forgot to mention bringing your own packaged snacks to take off ship. That is when I really find myself in a bind, since ship food can't be removed unless it is packaged and most ports don't have a wide selection of things I can eat.

I agree with the above poster. Call ASAP and make sure they are aware of the food needs. Then, once you are on the ship, go to the dining room first thing and make sure that you find your table and alert your servers to the needs as well.

Most likely, they will give you a menu to choose from for the following night, and they will cook the order accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived