NCL says "Let them drink Rum...or wine"

cruznut1111

Just got word back from the "Special Dietary Needs Department" that my request for a case of Budweiser's Redbridge GF beer for our 14 day January cruise has been denied as has my alternative request for a waiver to bring on board some self-purchased. (I would have expected to pay a reasonable equivilant to a corkage fee.)

Their dismissive solution was "rum or wine are available."

Well, I love the gluten-free pizzas, but "pizza & rum"? Nah, just doesn't cut it. :( So, I guess I will still say "NCL does well on GF" but I'll quit praising them to the skies. It's Budweiser, not some off-the-wall hard to find private maker. I'm bummed right now.

Hopefully you gave someone a good laugh when they read your request. Kudos for trying!

Perhaps so. but it seemed like a pretty reasonable request. At least I would be paying them for the beer. When they get me special bread/ cookies/ meals it is free to me. Your did catch that it was GF beer, right? Not like I could have another choice.

Perhaps so. but it seemed like a pretty reasonable request. At least I would be paying them for the beer. When they get me special bread/ cookies/ meals it is free to me. Your did catch that it was GF beer, right? Not like I could have another choice.

From another GF cruiser, this is a reasonable request...nothing to laugh about. I have made this request before myself. If they would stock it, I would be buying it by the buckets full.

I will say that NCL does a great job with their gluten free food program but falls short with the gluten free beer. (Although, I have heard rumors about another cruise line stocking the GF beer. Maybe that will be the best hint to NCL)

From another GF cruiser, this is a reasonable request...nothing to laugh about. I have made this request before myself. If they would stock it, I would be buying it by the buckets full.

I'm hoping that if word gets out that Bud has a good one, more folks will ask and NCL (& other lines) will think it worthwhile to stock it.

I will say that NCL does a great job with their gluten free food program but falls short with the gluten free beer. (Although, I have heard rumors about another cruise line stocking the GF beer. Maybe that will be the best hint to NCL)

.And the name of that line is ????

I'd take a case (or 2 if you can carry em) with me, and tell them it was a necessary dietary supplement:p

Good luck,

Sandy

I was a bit frustrated that they wouldn't do a carry-on waiver.

Maybe your DR will write you a prescription for GF beer. :D

Yeah, I'd have better luck with NCL. My DR would probably tell me to use the two weeks for a major diet.

Aft_Lover said... I would call Bud and tell them & watch what they do with NCL & other cruiselines.

I think you are on to something here. I'll see if I can try from that end. Perhaps if the distributer were willing to donate a case as a test....

Good luck getting that into a rum runner

MrsLeo - That image gave me a nice morning chuckle.:D

Cruznut

I would try to elevate this request to someone at a higher level. I also feel that this request is a fair one--especially your willingness to bring it on and pay a related "corkage fee". I feel that if you got to the right person that they would consider your request. NCL has made a good effort with their GF foods, and someone may simply be insensitive. Rum and pizza?? My other suggestion is to try to take it on and if they find it and you get called down, try to reason with that person and pay a "corkage fee" on board. The worst is they would say no and you could go home with some beer!!

Good luck and I really hope you can resolve this. But please don't take the word of one person--who perhaps was just in a bad mood that day.

yoyocrusier

DH was disappointed during our Vancouver to LA west coast cruise in September because he couldn't find any Canadian beer onboard. The staff told us they used to carry Canadian beers in prior years and didn't know why they discontinued them. Fortunately we were able to buy Canadian beer at our ports of call.

.And the name of that line is ????

.:D

I have seen on a few GF chat boards that RCCL was going to carry Red Bridge on their newest ship. That and hot GF dinner rolls and maybe some desserts in the specialty restaurants too.

I also have read several times that cruisers were able to order a GF birthday cake on NCL but have not been able to do that on recent cruises. (even in advance)

If you find a person at NCL to consider our request, please post how to contact that person and I will also send them a letter or email.

We cruise with NCL because they do an excellent job with GF. They would do an even better job with the GF beer on their "special diet" list. (hint hint)

Maybe you can try requesting it though the Ship Coordinator who does the in room bar set up. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, we tried that with no luck. They can only stock a in-cabin bar with supplies that are on their list. The Gluten Free beer isnt on the in-cabin bar list or the Special Needs Gluten Free List.

Since NCL does read CC, maybe they will decide to provide the GF beer. A lot of Gluten Free cruisers go with NCL because of they do a great job with "special needs".

I work for a resort and asked them to stock Gluten Free Beer. They did and it sold. Now it is in all of their restaurants and bars.

So why would NCL deny a reasonable request from a customer? First thought is on a 14 day cruise ship's storage room is stocked full and there isn't room for anything extra. A case of beer may not seem like much but I'm sure someone onboard is keeping track of this type of thing. Second thought, what are the profit margins on GF beer as opposed to regular beer. As I recall regular beer sells for around $6 for domestic and up to $8 for imported (memory may be shaky here) and they probably paid, on a bulk sale, 50 to 75 cents per. I don't know how much GF beer costs but how much would they have to charge to get the same type of return? My money is on number 1, they are worried about having enough room in stores for all of the other supplies they need on a 14 day cruise. How many GF cruisers are on the sailing and how many of them are making the same request? One case may not take up much room but 50 cases would. Just thinking out loud trying to make sense of it, because the request does seem reasonable and there should be a reasonable explaination.

Thanks for the ideas and the commiseration. You've given me the little push I needed to pursue this a bit more rather than just heading back out to Margaritaville.

Last night I sent off a request to Budweiser asking them to donate some beer to the NCL ship I'll be on with some advertising materials. Who knows how that will work out? Forty years ago a letter resulted in a full bowling team sponsorship.:D

Today I'll start back on the NCL end. Got my agent's blessing to work directly with NCL. Right now I have 8 weeks of NCL travel pending, but don't know if that will cut any ice.

My first goal will be to discover exactly what is the problem - space, cost, profit-margin, time, bother........... perhaps they've looked at my tequila bills and decided it's best to keep that going strong.:o

Any additional messages to NCL might help convince them there really is a market.

As an aside -- You know all those big beer bellies we see onboard? I always wonder how many of those are really gluten bloat because they look like I look after I've had a little bit of gluten. Just sayin'.....

Thanks for the ideas and the commiseration. You've given me the little push I needed to pursue this a bit more rather than just heading back out to Margaritaville.

Last night I sent off a request to Budweiser asking them to donate some beer to the NCL ship I'll be on with some advertising materials. Who knows how that will work out? Forty years ago a letter resulted in a full bowling team sponsorship.:D

Today I'll start back on the NCL end. Got my agent's blessing to work directly with NCL. Right now I have 8 weeks of NCL travel pending, but don't know if that will cut any ice.

My first goal will be to discover exactly what is the problem - space, cost, profit-margin, time, bother........... perhaps they've looked at my tequila bills and decided it's best to keep that going strong.:o

Any additional messages to NCL might help convince them there really is a market.

As an aside -- You know all those big beer bellies we see onboard? I always wonder how many of those are really gluten bloat because they look like I look after I've had a little bit of gluten. Just sayin'.....

Is gluten responsible for big butts too? LOL

Hope you have a great time and get your beer

YoYo& others - I'm guardedly optimistic, but won't confirm until I get an email- then I'll shout out. Heck, I may even be singing praises... let's hope.

Meanwhile:

VonChap - The NCL Access Department is the one you call. I think the regular number would get you there and then ask for the Access Department Co-ordinator of the specific ship you are going to be on. I did ask your question to the Star Co-ordinator and she said, yes, as long as they know ahead and can get the mix or ingredients on board in time for your trip - no problem.

To All GFs - The other news I got was to contact the Hotel Food & Beverage Director once on board. They would be able to give us a full list of the gluten-free items on board for that particular cruise. First time I heard this. Always before it was maitre'd that I was told to contact and sometimes I didn't know something was an option until late in the cruise.

Sorry, MrsLeo, it's the fat pills (aka morning pastries) and the elevators that cause a problem on that side. I didn't try the fat pills, but a broken toe meant I had to use the elevators this last trip and I did gain weight and that was the location.

Hope I'll be singing the "Chug a Lug" song in a day or two.;)

My Aunt Dawn, who I love with all of my heart has Celiac's disease. This issue with NCL not being willing to do a waiver, a "corkage" or etc. really angers me. People with this disease, people who choose to live G-Free, and people who are allergic deserve to have just as many perks as a regular cruiser. After all, cruising is about luxury and relaxation, and I am just wondering how they can be so insensitive. And you are willing to pay for it! Whomever you talked to, must not have any idea the consequences of some people eating Gluten. Even cross contamination can make some VERY ill. Best of luck.

Dawn

(Surfergirle):confused:

Meanwhile:

VonChap - The NCL Access Department is the one you call. I think the regular number would get you there and then ask for the Access Department Co-ordinator of the specific ship you are going to be on. I did ask your question to the Star Co-ordinator and she said, yes, as long as they know ahead and can get the mix or ingredients on board in time for your trip - no problem.

To All GFs - The other news I got was to contact the Hotel Food & Beverage Director once on board. They would be able to give us a full list of the gluten-free items on board for that particular cruise. First time I heard this. Always before it was maitre'd that I was told to contact and sometimes I didn't know something was an option until late in the cruise.

Hope I'll be singing the "Chug a Lug" song in a day or two.;)

You can also email the Special Needs Department and ask for the GF food list. You can PRE-ORDER gluten free food to make sure it is on your ship. You need to do that about 1 month before sailings from US ports and 2 months before sailing from a European port. I have done this order for every NCL cruise we have taken. You can order cookies, pizza supplies, different types of pastas, English muffins and all types of breads. They will keep your order separate from others and you can ask the Maitre 'D to pull items to add to your meals. I have had pizza and pasta in the Italian restaurant and cheeseburgers and hotdogs, with buns, from the grill.

Now, a cold bear with that pizza or burger would be great. Yes, a GF beer costs more but if you have celiac disease, you will pay more for a beer.

PS: Thanks for the info about the GF birthday cake. Our next cruise is in April, and there are other GF cruisers in our Roll Call.

Keep us posted!

Hi Kim, how are you and Bill? I see you have a cruise booked for April, congratulations! Boy I miss our early morning coffee on the back deck of the Pearl. Say hi to Bill for us. :)

Hi Paul, We miss you too. It is actually Mom and I doing the April Gem Med cruise. Bill and I want to cruise with you again! Where are you going next?

Paul--Please tell NCL that you KNOW that VonChap will drink the Gluten Free beer if it is available on this ship! :D:eek:

Hi Paul, We miss you too. It is actually Mom and I doing the April Gem Med cruise. Bill and I want to cruise with you again! Where are you going next?

Paul--Please tell NCL that you KNOW that VonChap will drink the Gluten Free beer if it is available on this ship! quote]

We just got off a 14 day on the Jewel and had an absolute ball. Although I could cruise anytime Kathy prefers cruising in the spring instead of the fall.She likes coming home to the warm weather.:rolleyes:

We are looking at a 14day on the Epic in the spring of 2011, most liklely the march 26th sailing. Love to do the Pearl again but the ports suck. I don't know whose in charge of picking the ports for NCL but they should be moved to a different department. We're not real happy about the Epic's itinerary but it was the best of the two. We actually thought about trying Celebrity but we love freestyle.:cool:

That's great you and your mom get to spend some quality time together but I know you'll miss Bill.;) My brother in law drinks non alcoholic beer and NCL was nice enough to make sure there was some onboard for him on this sailing. The kicker was they charged him the same price as the alcoholic beer. :confused: When we do cruise again I will put the word out to NCL about the gluten free beer as long as you promise to overindulge. :D

My brother in law drinks non alcoholic beer and NCL was nice enough to make sure there was some onboard for him on this sailing. The kicker was they charged him the same price as the alcoholic beer. :confused: When we do cruise again I will put the word out to NCL about the gluten free beer as long as you promise to overindulge. :D

Well...If NCL can stock some non alcoholic beer then they should be able to stock some Gluten Free beer. Especially on a ship as large as the Epic. You may just see us on the Epic.

Archived