Los Angeles 2 days pre-cruise ideas for 10adults

HappyTRIPs

We are a Nashville group of 10 adults who would like to see the fun sights of LA before our 2/21/2010 Mariner cruise. I need help with a hotel in a good area that would have a airport shuttle after the flight and a easy transportation to many sights. I would then need a shuttle to the ship from the hotel. We could do rental cars but it would be great to avoid the hassel. Yall

Thanks for info from my cruise buds:D

If you don't want to rent a car - then you absolutely need to stay somewhere right near the Sights to See...

There are only a few hotels that are nice, safe, and convenient to all of the sights for 2 days.

Click this thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1098727

Look at all of those hotels and links and those are really your best bets.

After you look through all of those, let me know if that answers your question - or if you need other different options...

Thanks. I have read several of your posts and I guess we may really need to get rental cars to help us move from airport to hotel to cruise port. Do any hotels in the Hollywood area offer a shuttle from the airport? We will be coming in Friday afternoon and going to the ship on Sunday about 11. I would like to avoid excessive driving and hassels.

We are a Nashville group of 10 adults who would like to see the fun sights of LA before our 2/21/2010 Mariner cruise. I need help with a hotel in a good area that would have a airport shuttle after the flight and a easy transportation to many sights. I would then need a shuttle to the ship from the hotel. We could do rental cars but it would be great to avoid the hassel. Yall

Thanks for info from my cruise buds:D

LA is really so widespread as you will see when you get here. Most likely only the LAX hotels will have a free shuttle from the airport. And they will have a certain radius that their shuttles will go, which won't include any of the sights you'll want to see. So your best bet is to catch a taxi or shuttle (like Supershuttle) to your hotel, or else rent a car.

As for free shuttles from the hotels to the port (which for the Mariner is in San Pedro), you would need to stay in San Pedro or Long Beach at specific hotels.

You will be here for a day and a half in reality for any pre-cruise sightseeing. I guess your next step would be to poll your group to see what they want to see in that short amount of time (tour, museums, clubs, etc).

Cruisin chick--Your so helpful and I think I have read lots of info that point out what you said. I think we may need rental cars. Now I need to poll my group for their idea of fun. I like the red line tour that I am reading about. We could go to lots of places based on different desires.

Instead of rental cars, I think I'd search for a group tour company to handle the tour of the sights. I've organized a group of 15 relatives for pre-cruise activities before and if you try to get them all together at one time in rental cars and then try to follow each other around, yikes! It would be like herding cats ;)

Set the time and place to meet the tour company, you will never get all 10 people to agree on what to see and how much time to spend there on your own. Having a guide to tell everyone what, where, how long takes the pressure off you and you won't get lost or seperated.

Then have a shuttle van pick you up the morning of the cruise and drive you to port. The cost split between 10 people is generally manageable.

Or, if you insist on renting cars, split into groups and meet up for dinner that night. Three small groups are best. We won't try to stay in an individual group of more than 4 people.

Or like Curt says, don't rent cars!

Trip!

Be sure to read all of my info...

You don't NEED rental cars - if you book the right hotels.

You can all just get an easy SuperShuttle to the hotels I'm recommending.

Then, you are easy peasy in convenient and good areas to get the Hop On Hop Off Bus and the Red Line Tours.

All 10 adults will have lots to do on their own in easy distance, but then meet up again for dinner or whatever you want.

Then just take another Shuttle down to the pier on the last morning.

Super easy and convenient for everyone!

HappyKs you are so right about herding cats. I just want to get people to a fun place and let them go in smaller groups.

Thanks Curt--I love all your help and info. I have been checking the Best Western on Sunset as one option and I looked at the Sportmen. A Supershuttle from LAX to Best Western is quoted at $81 for up to 9. At this point there will be 7 to 9 arriving together on Friday so that is perfect. Now I need to get a quote to the Port on Sunday. I like the hop on hop off bus for this group.

Hello,

I have a different view. You will be much better off with a van. You will be able to see more and do more here. This is coming from someone who has visited Nashville, and has lived in Southern California for 40 years.

With a van you have transportation from the airport to the hotel and then on to the cruise terminal. It is my opinion that a van rental here will reduce hassles.

let's say for example someone needs some last minute shopping. Do you really want to go looking for a shopping mall on foot or using a taxi?

Having a van allows you to select very nice but less expensive places to stay than Sunset Boulevard or Santa Monica.

I may just price a van for that option. I found room in the Hollywood area for $135 to $180 per night so far.

HappyTRIPs...

#1 Please, be sure that you really stick by my recommendations on hotels. Or if you think you have a new hotel possibility, please let me know what you are thinking.

Unlike most people on this board - I not only live and grew up in the LA area, but for part of my job I regularly check out, book events at, and stay in the local Los Angeles hotels. I live here now, and I'm always in the area and know their status currently. I know the pros and cons of each one, and one or two blocks can make a big difference.

#2 If you choose one of these hotels, you really, really don't need a van. You don't need it. People who don't know the areas, or know otherwise think everyone needs a rental car to get around LA. I've researched specific hotels and routes that make it easy and simple without one.

In the right hotel, you don't need it.

#3 Last minute shopping? Every hotel that I'm suggesting has TONS of shopping options around. Most right across the street even. No need to search anywhere for "last minute shopping" with my suggestions.

It's all right in walking distance.;)

Hello,

With due respect to Mr. Wild, if you want to stay in the west side of Los Angeles and see only Hollywood and Santa Monica, then use one of his hotels. I know the Raddison Hotel LAX very well. We used this hotel when my daughter got married in 2005 as the hotel for out of town guests. It is a nice hotel but if some one wants to go for a walk in the morning there is absoutely nothing of interest to see.

If you want to see much more of Los Angeles then a van is the best way to go. I have visited Nashville and so maybe this will help.

Visitors to Nashville want to see Opryland and that is great. You stay at a hotel at Opryland. Do you miss seeing Andrew Jackson's home (which is a DO NOT MISS), the Ryman (another DO NOT MISS), or a walk on the campus of Vanderbilt University. Or maybe you want to spend more time at the Country Music Hall of Fame, and walk around/into the last of the great honky tonk bars near there?

In closing here are some ideas for things to see...

The Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum in Simi Valley (there is a lot of stuff about movies here)

Richard Nixon Birthplace and Museum (DO NOT MISS no matter what you believe politically, because of the sheer history of the place and grounds.

The Huntington Library and grounds in Pasadena (especially for art and gardens fans)

Will Rogers State Park (see his home and ranch...a country boy who made it big in this part of the world)

Laguna Beach...see this lovely beach city, walk on the beach, have breakfast,lunch or dinner at the Beach House.

Whatever you do, I hope that you and your friends have a great time here.

Thanks for all the info. My group will only have Fri. afternoon and Sat. all day to see the sights. Due to time I think we are better off to fly in and take a supershuttle to a hotel near lots of events we can walk to or take that hop-on-hop-off bus. I would love to see so many of the things that are "way cool" in LA but 36 hours is very short. I wish we had 3 or 4 days to take in the sights. I really like that Best Western and we will need 5 rooms for senior rates. So far that is $180 plus fees on the website per room. I also checked the Sportmen and could get that for $135 plus fees. Several of this group are budget minded as you fully understand but with such convience to the area they may choose a $200 night place over a lesser. I always trust experienced "hometown folk".

Hello,

With due respect to Mr. Wild, if you want to stay in the west side of Los Angeles and see only Hollywood and Santa Monica, then use one of his hotels. I know the Raddison Hotel LAX very well. We used this hotel when my daughter got married in 2005 as the hotel for out of town guests. It is a nice hotel but if some one wants to go for a walk in the morning there is absoutely nothing of interest to see.

If you want to see much more of Los Angeles then a van is the best way to go. I have visited Nashville and so maybe this will help.

Visitors to Nashville want to see Opryland and that is great. You stay at a hotel at Opryland. Do you miss seeing Andrew Jackson's home (which is a DO NOT MISS), the Ryman (another DO NOT MISS), or a walk on the campus of Vanderbilt University. Or maybe you want to spend more time at the Country Music Hall of Fame, and walk around/into the last of the great honky tonk bars near there?

In closing here are some ideas for things to see...

The Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum in Simi Valley (there is a lot of stuff about movies here)

Richard Nixon Birthplace and Museum (DO NOT MISS no matter what you believe politically, because of the sheer history of the place and grounds.

The Huntington Library and grounds in Pasadena (especially for art and gardens fans)

Will Rogers State Park (see his home and ranch...a country boy who made it big in this part of the world)

Laguna Beach...see this lovely beach city, walk on the beach, have breakfast,lunch or dinner at the Beach House.

Whatever you do, I hope that you and your friends have a great time here.

As the OP has noted, that group will only have a very limited time to get around and see the sights. Most of the places above would involve a lot of driving around. So unless that group has a collective urge to see just one of those places...and not see places such as Hollywood or the beach area, then it's not practical for them (just expressing this view in case someone else unfamiliar with LA/Southern California reads this thread and bases their planning on this info).

For example, the Reagan Library is up in my area (about 15 miles to the west of me). Coming from San Pedro, Hollywood, even Studio City/No Ho (where the Sportsman Lodge is) would involve a few different freeways to get up to the 118 freeway (which is called the Ronald Reagan freeway, just because that's the only way to get to Simi Valley area where the library is, unless you travel to the west end of the Valley, etc.). And staying in a hotel around here involves renting a car to get here or an expensive shuttle or taxi drive. And there's nothing else to see here. Seriously (unless you're in the area Saturday 12/5, I've got a great student play to recommend!:D:) Can you tell I'm doing the publicity?).

Crusin,

You miss the point. I mentioned the Ronald Reagan Library as an example of major things to see and do here. Maybe a walk around Santa Monica is preferable to seeing something that is a part of our history. If you are interested in the motion picture industry, for example, Reagan was a major part of this industry for a long time. He always credited much of his success to the work/training he had as an actor. Sure it is a long ride but well worth it. And sure is a lot more thought provoking and interesting than looking at some shopson Hollywood Boulevard.

Or seeing Hollywood is preferable to seeing the Gene Autry Museum or the Will Rogers State Park. There is more about the motion picture industry in the Autry Museum than thereare in all the shops in Santa Monica.

My point are that Los Angels has much to see and do and that having a car is the best way to do this. Secondly everyone should know that the distances are considerable, but with some planning you can see quite a lot of Southern California.

Having a rental car saves you all around. In the special situation of the OP, her group does have limited time and maybe a walk down Hollywood Boulevard is just about all they want to see.

As a lifelong resident of Southern California I don't know why anyone wants to visit Hollywood or Santa Monica. Parking in either place is terrible. Hollywood is a filthy armpit. The Third Street Promenade is just a shopping area with mediocre food at overpriced restaurants. I get to visit Hollywood when I visit doctors at Kaiser. I see Santa Monica regularly when my lady friend and I visit her mother or brother. And, they live in the nicest parts of SM.

Just my opinion, of course.

Again, I was just trying to point out that if one is unfamiliar with this area, they need to pin down what they want to do. But not be unreasonable if they want to visit one place in Laguna and another place in Simi Valley, if all they have is one day pre-cruise. And this applies to any of our visitors, not just this group.

In this case, with such a big group, better to have some ideas to poll the group on and pin down one area to visit based on their interests. Of course, if maybe two couples want to do shopping at a fancy shopping center and another couple or two want to see historical parts of LA and another couple wants to just relax at the hotel pool, maybe they should decide to split up for the day and do those things without the others. Everyone is happy.

Cruising,

I agree with everything you say in your last post.

Surely, people who visit California should go and see what they want.

I think though that as providers of information we should tell them that there is so much to see and do here apart from Hollywood ,Santa Monica and the west side. One prominent responder seems to imply that this is all that there is to see here

I can see that LA and surronding area could provide a travler with overwhelming possibilities. I could stay weeks and in the future I just may be able to do that. I think that for this group we will use a "walk to" or jump on off bus the see the west section. We will get a shuttle so avoid the rentals. The group can then split up and meet back at will. Most of the group would love a trip to natural beauty areas but there is a time limit. I will use lots of Curt's info for this trip. I just need to check out a shuttle from the hotel to port.

I can see that LA and surronding area could provide a travler with overwhelming possibilities. I could stay weeks and in the future I just may be able to do that. I think that for this group we will use a "walk to" or jump on off bus the see the west section. We will get a shuttle so avoid the rentals. The group can then split up and meet back at will. Most of the group would love a trip to natural beauty areas but there is a time limit. I will use lots of Curt's info for this trip. I just need to check out a shuttle from the hotel to port.

HappyTRIPs!

I know that you realize that I've really taken your groups needs and everything into account in my recommendations.

You're really going to have a great time, have ability for everyone to do what they want; and still "meet back at will" whenever you want.

Trust me. You are all hooked up.

I'll check back with some more specifics to help your group out further as it gets closer.

You've got everything you need at your fingertips there, so you are good to go...

I'll get you some various shuttle options in the next day or two.:D

Thanks Curt. I have been doing my research(when I'm not working;)) and it sounds like a great area to explore. The Best Western is near the Comedy Store and House of Blues and right on the Red route for a bus. I'm not too sure about the Sportmen Lodge yet. Is in near a bus stop for the red zone? I am also assuming you can take the red route over to the yellow route and go out to Santa Monica Pier using the Hop on bus.

Pefect thread for me. I will be in LA 5 days in April. This is not for a pre cruise stay but a dance competition event. We will have two and a half days afterwards to experience LA.

Curt,

Do you know anything about the new hotel due to open in February. The Marriott at LA live? They are offering our group a rate of 179 a night which I am guessing is a pretty good rate for the amount of stars. Will we be in an area that we can pick up the hop on and off plus guided tours? Or will we need to rent a car?

Our plans are to put on our tourist shoes and see as much as we can in this time as I dont know when we will be back again. Can anyone help with ideas?

What I know I dont want.... Universal studios(been there), Catalina Island(been there too) or Long Beach Queen Mary(been there). We do like tours where we can learn about where we are, some history.

We would like to do some of the star and glitter stuff!

We love traveling along shorelines but dont want to use up our time actually laying on a beach.(thinking we may need a car for one day for this)

What else would be a good idea that could be in contrast maybe with a star tour?

In the evenings we like dining at somewhat upscale resturants, lively/interesting atmosphere, contemporary menus would be fun too. Any other evening entertainment we should consider? Finally, we could, if two and a half days just is not enough, extend our stay. This is an 8 hour flight for us so getting there and back quick, a short stay, is not important or necessary.

Any other travel sites I should look at and is it necessary to book tours in advance?

Thanks all for advise!

Curt, giving you link to the event website if case I did not describe good where we will be staying. http://www.usadancenationals.org/

I would figure out what you want to do and consider moving hotels closer to what you want to do. Also, if you rent a car, check how much will parking at hotel will be. $30+???

Stars homes tour? Hop on and off bus and see different sights? Disneyland? Museums? etc.

Hop on hop off may work if you stay there, but what are the hours? We used hop on hop off as our transportation in Edinburgh last summer and the hours ended a bit early for us.

LA Live has nice restaurants, Flemming's, Lawry's and more. Phillipe's French Dip is a great spot for French Dip close to Union Station.

Staying in downtown LA would not be my first choice but you can make it work.

Jen in SoCal

Pefect thread for me. I will be in LA 5 days in April. This is not for a pre cruise stay but a dance competition event. We will have two and a half days afterwards to experience LA.

Curt,

Do you know anything about the new hotel due to open in February. The Marriott at LA live? They are offering our group a rate of 179 a night which I am guessing is a pretty good rate for the amount of stars. Will we be in an area that we can pick up the hop on and off plus guided tours? Or will we need to rent a car?

Our plans are to put on our tourist shoes and see as much as we can in this time as I dont know when we will be back again. Can anyone help with ideas?

What I know I dont want.... Universal studios(been there), Catalina Island(been there too) or Long Beach Queen Mary(been there). We do like tours where we can learn about where we are, some history.

We would like to do some of the star and glitter stuff!

We love traveling along shorelines but dont want to use up our time actually laying on a beach.(thinking we may need a car for one day for this)

What else would be a good idea that could be in contrast maybe with a star tour?

In the evenings we like dining at somewhat upscale resturants, lively/interesting atmosphere, contemporary menus would be fun too. Any other evening entertainment we should consider? Finally, we could, if two and a half days just is not enough, extend our stay. This is an 8 hour flight for us so getting there and back quick, a short stay, is not important or necessary.

Any other travel sites I should look at and is it necessary to book tours in advance?

Thanks all for advise!

Curt, giving you link to the event website if case I did not describe good where we will be staying. http://www.usadancenationals.org/

Thank you. As I looked further down the posts and saw where Curt gave tons of information, it seems like I am not in the best hotel location. The event is at this hotel, so will stay there but once the event is over for us it looks like we might want to make a hotel change. Perhaps Santa Monica.

It would be convenient for during the competition, but I would agree that if you're going to do any sightseeing after it's over, you'll want to move closer to any areas of interest and to a much safer, nicer area.

I've known people from out of town who'd conventions to go to downtown, but have stayed elsewhere (they've had rental cars to use and didn't use public transport).

Archived