Hotels in Houston

rnjhill

Don't know about shuttle, but the Tremont House in Galveston is very nice. It is an old historic hotel, and is pretty close to the pier. Never sailed out of Galveston, so I really don't know where the ships are, but the island is not very big. Another possibility would be Moody Gardens, very nice. Both of these hotels are rather expensive, by my standards. I have stayed in the Tremont, and would stay there again.

Probably less expensive is a place called the Victorian Condo-Hotel (i think). it is on the seawall in Galveston. i have stayed there a few years ago, and it was fine, nothing elaborate, just a nice place to spend the night.

If you have some extra time, you might consider staying in Kemah, which is a little north of Galveston up I-45. They have a boardwalk there, that is very nice. Several hotels in that area, I believe. Probably twenty minute cab ride to pier in Galveston. Wife and daughter have been to Kemah, loved it.

Hi,

I'm sailing on the Sea Feb 26th.

I just booked the Passport Inn in Kemah.

Very reasonable price, and very close to the peir.

The only problem is that it is quite a distance from the intercontinental Airport so I'm not sure what transportation I'll be using from the airport.

http://www.passportinnkemah-houston.com/index.html

Hi,

We were on the Sea last September....we flew into Intercontinental Airport and stayed at the Doubleetree Hotel ($119 per person!!!). We booked it through Norwegian Cruise Line. We still had to take a taxi from the airport, which costs about $50 and took about 30 - 40 minutes. The hotel was terrific...even had a kitchen, where we could cook.

Then the next day we had to check out at 11, and wait till about 1 for the bus to take us to the cruise port (which is really ugly compared to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale) about a 45 minute ride through a lot of oil fields. After the cruise, we had to take a taxi back to the airport ($75) because our flight was too early for Norwegian to assure us that they would get us there.

I don't know anything about the hotels closer to the cruise port, except that they would be in very small areas that I wouldn't want to roam around in.....

Jane

Wow JMA,

That seems like an awfull lot of money for one night in a hotel and transportation.

We are staying in Kemah, tx which was recommended by several members on these boards. There is a boardwalk with a lot of nice shops and resturaunts.

I think it is about 3 miles from the pier!

We are booked at the Passport inn which is costing us $69 and we are renting a car at the intercontinental Airport for $30 including tax and we can drop it off near Kemah. We may do the same going back, rent a car near the pier and drop it off at the airport. We are staying a day in Houston after the cruise so we'd also have the car to go exploring if we want. It's much cheaper than a taxi!

electro

Thanks for all the info. but we have decided to do something else. We are coming in the day before our cruise and staying at the Sleep Inn (close to the IAH). The next day we will go back to the airport and take the shuttle bus to the pier. It costs $20 per person to go from IAH to the pier.:) I have not yet booked it but will be in the next few days.

No, you haven't been misinformed. Hobby Airport is much closer to the pier than the intercontinental airport.

It's just that not all airlines fly into Hobby. I'm flying with US Air and they don't fly into Hobby so I'm flying into Intercontinental.

electro

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the info. but we have decided to do something else. We are coming in the day before our cruise and staying at the Sleep Inn (close to the IAH). The next day we will go back to the airport and take the shuttle bus to the pier. It costs $20 per person to go from IAH to the pier.:) I have not yet booked it but will be in the next few days.

I am curious where you found the $20 per person rate? I am going on the Dream and I am making plans...

I just made reservations for Comfort Suites in La Porte. From what I can tell it is just 3 miles from Port of Houston where Sea sails from. I have had a hard time finding a hotel that was inexpensive and would sleep 6. The triple AAA rate there is 53.96. They advertise a full breakfast, pool and hot tub (a must in traveling with kids) It appears to be close to other attractions also. Kemah boardwalk and Nasa. Will post after cruise in early April to let you know if it is as good as it sounds.

Was looking for info on Tampa, and saw your thread. We cruised out of Galveston this past January on Carnival. Flew into Houston Hobby Airport, stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Houston Hobby for $72, icluding all taxes. They shuttled us to and from the airport. Nice hotel, very clean and up to date. Very quiet on weekends, since it caters to business people during the week. They even shuttled us to a wonderful Mexican restaurant that evening. Had a very nice buffet breakfast cost about $8. We took the cruislines shuttle to the pier.

Archived