Freedom Mini Review

IwannaGo Now

I was on the Freedom Thanksgiving week for the 8 day to Panama, Costa Rica, and Cozumel.

I've been on 4 Carnival cruises. I usually try to get 1 CCL vacation per year.

I've been on several lines over the last 25 years.

I enjoy every cruise I go on, and I usually book a balcony. This is the first time in many cruises that I did NOT have smokers for neighbors....heavenly. Although on several occasions someone was smoking a smelly cigar that wafted by.

I sailed solo, and was assigned early seating at a table for ten. We were all singles...5 of us. Plenty of room. The food, unfortunately, continues to slip.

The things I noticed most were the soups (not much flavor), and the breads have really gone downhill, in my opinion. I am a bread person, but EVERY meal I didn't finish the one piece of bread I selected! It was somewhat dry. I thought the first dinner might have been older bread from the previous cruise, but it was consistently not so good. I felt like it had been frozen, and thawed. I did question the chef on the "Behind the fun tour". He told us they now buy they baked goods par-baked from a vendor. The supper club is the only place they have on board-baked bread.

The other food was just okay...nothing that stood out, nothing that was really bad....just so-so. The desserts were hit or miss too. I ended up getting a banana split from the kids menu after the first night....that was good...small, but good. The chocolate desserts were lacking, except for the choc melting cake...that I didn't dare eat, lest I go into a diabetic coma! The chocolate "buffet"...many selections, not too much good chocolate flavor.

The lobster was advertised in the menu as "Maine"....liar-liar-pants-on-fire. It was good, but I've had shrimp that were as big as the lobster tails...they seem to be getting smaller with each cruise.....but my waiter did bring two, so I didn't go hungry. The wait staff was good (Dante), and took care of us. Most of the seafood was pretty good. I managed to gain 5 lbs, so I managed to find stuff to eat. LoL

The buffet, too, had declined somewhat. The fish and chips that I had on the Glory a couple of years ago was really good. The Freedom's fish and chips were dripping in grease....literally, when you tried to cut it with a fork. They also are using a different fish, as this was very mushy, and not at all flaky. The bouillabaisse soup was okay though. The pizza was just okay...again not as good as it used to be.

Room service was pretty fast. I ordered a pot of coffee every morning, and it was delivered within 10-15 min., the pastries and muffins were good.

The entertainment was very good for the most part. The 1st comedian, however, I had seen on a previous Carnival cruise, and he had the same routine as a year ago....I knew all the punch lines. His late night "R" show was pretty much the same too. The production shows were GREAT. The solo performers throughout the ship were very good too.

I was greeted with a smile from all, or just about all, employees.

Embarkation went well. Debarkation went even better. The only issue I had was outside trying to get a cab. The people waiting for a shuttle were waiting where the cabs were lined up, and it was impossible to tell where the line was for each.

All in all I enjoyed my cruise, and of course will continue to do my yearly CCL cruise. All the lines are cutting corners, I was on NCL, MSC, and CCL last year,....cruising isn't what it used to be, but all things considered.....I'd rather be cruising.......:D

The weather was warm, and humid....typical.

The ports are poor areas. I took a city and canal tour in Costa Rica, for $20 (PP), but not through Carnival. It was in the building at the pier. I think it was tours by Laura, or something like that. It was worth the $20....but not much more. Be aware on the main street, I think it was called the "Boulevard". Lots of seedy characters, and I was accosted by one, :( who grabbed my thumb, and wouldn't let go...however, a local came to my aid. I think he was just trying to beg for money, as I had just gave a guy with no legs $1...but he was speaking Spanish...I'm American. I did buy "Britt" coffee at the "mercado" there for about $6+ American....great coffee, btw.

In Panama....again be aware. Carry your Passport. I tried to walk into a shopping area very close to the ship that was like a city within a city, but was gated, and guarded by police with automatic weapons. I didn't have my passport, just my drivers license, and ship card. They were still insisting on my passport. Again, a local came to my assistance, and convinced the police to allow me to go, that I was from the ship.:eek: I hired a private cab to the Gatun locks. I got the trip for $40. The cab was pretty tough, no A/C, but the driver let me stay at the locks for 1 1/2 hrs, and I got to see a few ships transit....very interesting.

Like all foreign ports, just be aware of your surroundings. I was traveling alone, and am 62, so I may have been a target, that's what the guy at the shopping area warned me about anyway.

Just enjoy your cruise!

There is a review of my experiences at these ports you can read by clicking the link in my signature...pictures, too! I found both Panama and Costa Rica to be very humid. Our roll call booked private excursions which I though were well worth the cost....

We ate at the Sun King one night... the waitstaff tried to sell us on 'warm water canadian lobster'... HUH?

The MDR lobster was much better....and you could have two!..which we did!

Archived