Car with driver Alexandria

kiwicruiser

Has anyone hired a car / limousine WITH A DRIVER in Alexandria for the day (as opposed to getting a taxi) with unlimited mileage.

Any recommendations for a good company?

What is the cost likely to be?

We are keen to go to El Alamein and also see the sights in Alexandria. I have tried Ramses Tours and they are not keen on going to El Alamein and I'm a bit reluctant to take a taxi. I read somewhere that renting a car with a driver is a good choice.

We are keen to go to El Alamein and also see the sights in Alexandria. I have tried Ramses Tours and they are not keen on going to El Alamein and I'm a bit reluctant to take a taxi. I read somewhere that renting a car with a driver is a good choice.

Hi Kiwicruiser,

We have just returned from our cruise with a stop in Alexandria, and for sure, driving does NOT sound like a good choice... I'm pretty adventurous and I would never risk renting a car in Egypt.

We had a tour with Ramses to Cairo, but some people on our cruise did a day tour of Alexandria with a visit to El Alamein which is about 100 km from Alexandria. They did their tour with Ramses and were really pleased! You should email them again to let them know your needs - I'm sure they'll customize a tour for you!!

MC

We were in Alexandria in November 2009 and had a wonderful half-day tour with Soha Soliman of Egypt Tripod Tours. Soha was personable, knowledgeable and most accommodating in every way. Soha has a law degree, but now owns her own tour company. She provides group tours as well as arranges private, customized tours of Alexandria, Cairo, Luxor, etc.

Our half-day tour of Alexandria was the highlight of our recent Holy Land/Med cruise on the Royal Princess. There were 6 of us in a 9-passenger van. (Approx $45 US pp) Our tour included visits to the catacombs, the Roman ruins & theater, Quait Bay Fort, the site of Pompey’s Pillar, narration as we drove across the old town and then finally a visit to the bazaar for shopping and ordering cartouches as we had requested. While many guides take tourists to what might be considered the “tourist rip-off” shops, Soha took us to a local jeweler where we purchased 2-sided silver cartouches for $13 US. We also purchased scarves, Egyptian cotton robes and other souvenirs at bargain prices. Trust me on this…We spent 2 weeks in Egypt in 2008 & these were bargains!

What made Soha so delightful was her engaging personality and spirit…That combined with her knowledge made the entire experience so memorable. We have had other knowledgeable guides in Egypt…But they typically drone on & on and leave you on “information overload”. Soha was recommended to us by another Cruise Critic poster and my one concern when I booked with her was that, in my mind, there was no way she could live up to the glowing recommendation and hype. Well, I am happy to say she exceeded our expectations in every way!

You can check out her web site at: http://soha.egypt.tripod.com/index.html

Or email her directly at: Soha_guide@yahoo.com

PS Please note…Soha’s spoken English is excellent…far, far better than her written English!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

We were on the Quest last November and we used Moustafa Egypt Tours for a private tour for 6 persons and we were very satisfied with their services,in fact they exceeded our expectations !

The guide spoke excellent English,was very interesting and open minded and the driver was smooth and prudent ( this is exceptionnal in Egypt )

The price was very good and we decided ourselves about the schedule for the day (no shopping)

Moustafa has many vehicles and I am sure that he could accommodate 2 persons ! Oh,I forgot, the vehicle we used was in perfect condition ( I used to look after a fleet of 1200 vehicles )

You could reach them at moustafa@moustafaegypttours.com

Enjoy !

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone hired a car / limousine WITH A DRIVER in Alexandria for the day (as opposed to getting a taxi) with unlimited mileage.

Any recommendations for a good company?

What is the cost likely to be?

Kiwicruiser,

I'd like to second what HRHMadonna wrote. We've used Soha twice. Once last year with a group of six for an all day tour of Alexandria, and this October my wife and I went with her to El Alamein.

She is personable, most interesting (though HIGHLY opinionated) and very flexible. Her prices are most reasonable. It's likely that we'll be back there in the next few years, and assuming that happens, we'll use her services again.

Bruce

Archived