Costa Menu (Fortuna)

Cruise4Andy

Due to several questions and inquiries about the dinner menus on Costa's ship, here is an example from the Fortuna, which we enjoyed. I hope this takes some of the concerns and fears out of first-time Costa cruisers...

Keep in mind this is the dining-room menu! You always have the option to go to the buffet restaurant on Deck 9 for dinner or enjoy a fantastic dining experience in the specialty/club restaurant (surcharge applies, unless you are sailing in a suite category or above).

ALWAYS AVAILABLE

Insalata Caesar

Caesar Salad

Spaghetti

Spaghetti tossed with fresh tomato sauce and basil or Spaghetti tossed with Italian meat balls and fresh tomato basil sauce

Filetto di Salmone

Fillet of Salmon prepared as you like it: poached, broiled or grilled

Petto di Pollo

Chicken Breast, poached, broiled or grilled

Baked Potato

with a choice of butter, sour cream, bacon bits and chives

French Fried Potatoes and Fresh Steamed Vegetables are available at your request

Chocolate Delight “Costa”

A chocolate ganache over a rice flakes in white chocolate

New York Cheese Cake

served with strawberry sauce

BON VOYAGE DINNER

Appetizers

Cocktail di gamberi e carpaccio di polpo

Cocktail shrimp and octopus carpaccio dressed with extra virgin olive oil and lemon dressing

Calzoncello con friarielli e salsiccia

Oven baked pizza turnover filled with sausage, mozzarella and rapini

Papaia al liquore di cassis

Papaya cup sprinkled with cassis liquor

Soups

Crema di broccoli

Cream of broccoli with herbed croutons

Consomme di manzo

Beef consommé with celery, carrots and wild rice

Crema fredda di pesche e melone

Chilled cream soup of peach and cantaloupe melon

Salads

Insalata mista

Baby spinach salad served with roasted turkey stripes, toasted pinenuts and goat cheese bruschetta

Insalata del giorno

Romaineand bibb lettuce, tossed with daikon and bell peppers

Pasta

Fettucine alla buzara

Pasta tossed in a testy crustaceous sauce served with shrimp, tomato fillets and chives

Penne all’Arrabbiata

Penne pasta with garlic, tomato sauce and chili flakes

Entrees

Marlin alla griglia

Grilled Mahi-Mahi filled served with light Creole sauce, green asparagus tips, vichy carrots and steamed potatoes

Medaglioni di filetto di maiale alla sorrentina

Pork fillet medaillions “Sorrentina style” seared and topped with fresh tomato and mozzarella cheese, served with fluffy mashed potatoes, buttered snow peas and vichy carrots.

Costata di manzo al forno

Slowly roasted dry aged prime rib of beef served at your preference with its natural juice,

snow peas, broiled roma potatoes and Idaho baked potatoes

Pollo alla cacciatora

Chicken cacciatore stewed in a rich tomato, mushroom and vegetable julienne sauce, served with taglioline pasta, vichy carrots and sautéed mushrooms

Lasagna ai vegetali

Vegetable lasagna – traditional pasta garnished with a layer of ricotta cheese, tomato and fresh mozzarella

Insalata mista

Baby spinach salad served with roasted turkey stripes, toasted pinenuts and goat cheese bruschetta

Desserts

Chocolate soufflé served with orange sauce

Chocolate, ricotta cheese and candied fruits cake covered with pistachio marzipan

No sugar added baked apple crumble

Coconut sherbet with fresh fruit cocktail

Chocolate, vanilla or butter pecan ice cream

Lime or Pineapple sherbet

Cheese

Fruit

ITALIAN DINNER

Appetizers

Baccala mantecato alla vicentina

Creamy stew of Norwegian dry cod tossed with extra virgin olive oil and fresh cream, served with polenta

Prosciutto di Parma con perle di melone

Italian prosciutto with melon perls

Mozzarella e pomodoro alla caprese

Tomato and mozzarella

Soups

Pasta e fagioli alla veneta

Pasta and bean soup

Minestrone di verdure con riso allo Milanese

Vegetable soup with rice

Consomme freddo di manzo

Chilled beef consommé enhanced with marsala wine and tomato fillets

Salads

Insalata mista

Tossed baby leaf with bacon bits, copped hard boiled eggs, parmesan cheese and croutons

Insalata del giorno

Fresh sliced tomatoes and heart of lettuce with red onion rings

Pasta

Trafie “Portofino”

Pasta tossed with potatoes, string beans and pesto sauce

Ravioli di ricotta in salsa di funghi

Ricotta ravioli with mushroom sauce

Entrees

Medaglione di pesce spada al salmoriglio leggero

Grilled swordfish medallions served with light salmoriglio sauce, steamed potatoes, broccoli and roasted roma tomatoes

Vitello arrosta alla Toscana

Oven roasted veal rack served pink with chianti-rosemary sauce, roast new potatoes and sautéed spinach

Brasato al Barolo

Pot roast beef in red wine Barolo served with mashed potatoes, button mushrooms and stewed bell peppers

Petto di pollo ripieno “Costa”

Stuffed chicken breast “Costa” filled with truffed mushroom duxelle and served with a rich white wine sauce, mashed potatoes, yellow wax beans and carrot sticks

Melanzane alla parmigiana

Eggplant with parmesan cheese and tomato sauce

Insalata mista

Tossed baby leaf with bacon bits, chopped hard boiled eggs, parmesan cheese and croutons

Desserts

Tiramisu

Five deck carrot cake with vanilla sauce

No sugar added poached pear in red wine

Sultana and rhum, strawberry and vanilla ice cream

Watermelon or lemon sherbet

Cheese

Fruit

CARIBBEAN DINNER

Appetizers

Escargots buruignone

Vitello tonnato

Thin sliced veal with tuna sauce

Coppa di melone

Cantaloupe melon cocktail scented with port wine

Soups

Crema di asparagi

Cream of asparagus soup with turbot quenelles

Consomme di codadi bue con sherry

Clear oxtail soup with sherry

Crema fredda di fragile e banana

Chilled strawberry and banana cream soup

Salads

Insalata del giorno

Seasonal tender leaves tossed with Belgium endive and radicchio

Insalata mista

Grilled vegetable salad, zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions, grilled and marinated over a nest of bib lettuce

Pasta

Liguine alla scoglia

Linguini with seafood and a touch of fresh diced tomatoes

Casarecce al ragu di funghie zucca gialla

Pasta csarecce with a mushroom ragout and yellow pumpkin

Entrees

Filetto di tilapia alla piastra

Broiled fillet of Talapia offered with lemon, caper, tomato and parsley butter, stuffed artichoke bottom, spinach flan and steamed potatoes

Carre di agnello in crosta di mandorle

Roasted rack of spring lamb in an almond crust, served with braised red cabbage, roasted potatoes and pearl onions

Bistecca di manzo allo griglia

Grilled sirloin steak, served at your preference with herb butter, macare potatoes, corn on the cob, bacon string beans “mazzetti”

Taraona arrosto

Roasted free range of guinea flow served with smitane sauce, barley risotto, asparagus and cherry tomatoes

Torta di ricotta con formaggio taleggio

Ricotta and leek pie served with taleggio cheese cream sauce and vegetable ratatouille

Instalata mista

Grilled vegetable salad, zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions, grilled and marinated over a nest of bib lettuce

Desserts

Rhum baba

Crème brulee

With fresh raspberries

No sugar added apple strudel

Chocolate, coffee and vanilla ice cream

Kiwi or Pineapple Sherbet

Cheese

Fruit

WELCOME GALA DINNER

Appetizers

Frittelo di granchio

Crab cakes served with cognac and chives creamy sauce

Carpaccio di manzo all’olio di tartufo

Beef carpaccio with shave parmesan and white truffle dressing

Sinfonia di frutta tropicale

Tropical fruit medley enhanced with fine champagne

Soups

Crema di funghi

Creamy soup of forest mushrooms flavored with fresh tarragon

Zuppa di cipolla bianca con crostini di formaggio

White onion cream soup served with cheese croutons

Crema fredda di tamarindo con yogurt e aroma di limone

Chilled tamarind cream with yoghurt and lemon zest

Pasta

Manicotti alla Sorrentina

Manicotti filled with ricotta cheese, ham, parmesan and spinach, served with tomato sauce, basil and mozzarella

Risotto matecato al gorgonzola e noci

Cream risotto with gorgonzola cheese and walnuts

Entrees

Filetto di pesce dell’Altantico dorato con pepperoni rossi e gialli

Golden pan seared orange roughy fillet served with yellow and red sweet bell pepper sauce, broccoli florettes, carrot parisienne and steamed potatoes

Ossabuco alla Milanese con grmeolata d’erbe

A traditional Italian dish of veal shanks cooked in an aromatic tomato sauce, topped with finely chopped herbs and lemon zest served with saffron risotto

Combi****one di gamberi e filetto di manzo allo griglia

Surf and turf, combination of grilled beef medallions and jumbo prawn, served with roasted new potatoes, broccoli and carrot parisienne

Anatra all’arancia

Crispy roasted duckling complemented by the traditional orange sauce with “Berny” potatoes and wax yellow beans

Verdure saltate con tofu

Fried tofu n a stir fried vegetables with sweet and sour sauce

FAREWELL GALA DINNER

Appetizers

Cocktail di gamberi

Shrimp cocktail composition topped with cocktail sauce

Terrina d’anatra

Duck terrine served with orange compote and pan brioche

Barchetta di ananas e banana con cocco rosa

Pineapple boat and banana dressed with pink coconuts

Soups

Crema di aragosta

Lobster bisque flavored with fine champagne

Tortellini in brodo di cappone

Tortellini in a capon broth

Chilled Vichyssoise

Pasta

Risotto Royale

Risotto Royale with lobster meat and champagne

Cresplle ai funghi porcini e gruviera

Oven baked crepes filled with porcini mushrooms and swiss cheese fondue

Entrees

Filetto di tonno grigliato

Grilled tuna steak with crushed black pepper corn served with garlic red mashed potatoes, yellow squash and broccoli

Crancio d’Alaska

Alaska king crab legs steamed and served with steamed potatoes, asparagus and tarragon clear butter

Tagliata di manzo

Roasted tenderloin of dry aged beef served at your preference with gorgonzola cheese creamy demi glaze, caste roast potatoes and bouquette of premium vegetables

Fagiano Reale arrostito

Roasted “Royal Pheasant” served with foie gras jus, roasted potatoes and bacon string beans “mazzetti”

Strudel di verdure

Vegetable strudel of rice and vegetables wrapped in a crispy phyllo, served with a red bell pepper coulis

Please be aware that the above menus are for Caribbean cruises. In the Med the choices are much more limited and there is NO evening buffet.

Costa Fortuna Eastern Mediterranean 23/11/09-30/11/09:

Click to enlarge the pictures.

1st formal night menu at http://www.ucruiser.com/gallery/view...-Night-menu-1/

2nd formal night menu at http://www.ucruiser.com/gallery/view...-Night-nenu-2/

Meal times at http://www.ucruiser.com/gallery/view...imes-27-11-09/

on formal nights the second sitting was 15 minutes later and some days the buffet opened for lunch 1 hour earlier. I believe dinner is served later in the summer months.

progress.gif

I had to laugh when I saw the "spaghetti tossed with Italian meatballs" on the "always available" menu! For sure Costa dreamed that up for the American clientele on their Caribbean cruises. Who ever heard of spaghetti with meatballs in Italy??!!

I find it funny as to how one nation has a "typical" idea as to how another country is:

Germans think (or used to) that all Brits where a bowler hat and carry an umbrella.

The Germans run around in leather trousers / shorts, with a beer mug in one hand and slapping their thighs with the other.

Any other ideas?

Ron

Ron, since you're a Brit living in Germany, I picture you with leather shorts, bowler hat, beer mug in one hand and slapping your thighs with your umbrella in the other. Am I close?

I guess I'd be the guy sitting in the piazza with an espresso and wearing a Hawaiian shirt and bermudas.

Ron, since you're a Brit living in Germany, I picture you with leather shorts, bowler hat, beer mug in one hand and slapping your thighs with your umbrella in the other. Am I close?

I guess I'd be the guy sitting in the piazza with an espresso and wearing a Hawaiian shirt and bermudas.

That's about it except exchange the umbrella for a bratwurst.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question for past Costa passengers, particularly on Mediterranean routes- is there some flexibility in the dining room with regard to ordering courses?

I no longer eat bread/starches so I fill in the gap with lots of veggies, cheese and protein. So can I, for example, get a 2nd appetizer in leiu of a pasta course? Also I see sauteed spinach a few nights. I love this stuff. Do you think they would bring an extra side on nights this is available?

On this thread or another it seemed someone had some proscuitto every night as antipasto. that is right up my alley!

Does this kind of thing generally fly on Costa? or are they pretty rigid in the main dining room?

• 4 weeks later...

, ships etc..I have never been denied anything that was available..makeable..doable...I usually order fresh steamed asparagus every night..lastmonth, I got it...you may eat/choose what ever you wish..there is no "plate police" on board..I will taste as much or little as I wish..share with my cabin mate etc...just do it !!!!!!!! as the plates are done up in advance for the most part..portions are already on the plate, so you get the whole shebang..it is up to you what you choose to eat..or not. (this upcoming May Costa will be my 50th cruze)

I had to laugh when I saw the "spaghetti tossed with Italian meatballs" on the "always available" menu! For sure Costa dreamed that up for the American clientele on their Caribbean cruises. Who ever heard of spaghetti with meatballs in Italy??!!

I think you'd have to be very brave to order saghetti with meatballs in Italy. The waiter would feel stunned - just as one waiter was when my friend wanted cheese on her linguine al mare.

Archived