Transportation from hotel in Rome to dock in Civitavecchia

Streak

Can anyone tell us if there are shuttle buses from Rome hotels to the dock for Costa Cruise on Jan.7,2010? What is the approximate cost for 2 people?

Also, are there shuttle buses from the dock to the Termini RR station in Rome for the end of the trip?

Thanks

If you are asking about a ship-run transfer, you should check with Costa. Some lines will let you purchase a transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia but you likely have to get yourself to whatever hotel they are using for passengers. I'm unsure if Costa does this since they are an Italian line.

Same thing with the return, although if transfers are offered they are probably to the airport.

(P.S. There is usually a pretty hefty charge associated with these transfers. You might be better off looking for your roll call group here on Cruise Critic and seeing if you can get a group of like-minded passengers together to rent a car or van yourself.)

I would use the train.

It was maybe 20 euro total for two first class tickets a few weeks ago when I went with my wife. Buy tickets at the station....we used the express train, took 45 minutes, no stops. The 1st class car was mostly empty, so plenty of room for luggage...

When you get to port, take a right out of that station and walk about 3 blocks (5 minutes or so)....there are shuttles to take you from the entrance to the ship.

Costa transfers back to the airport after the cruise were $24 USD pp...nice deal. About 1 hr 15 min trip. (they wanted $60pp for the trip to port though....rip off)

Can anyone tell us if there are shuttle buses from Rome hotels to the dock for Costa Cruise on Jan.7,2010? What is the approximate cost for 2 people?

Also, are there shuttle buses from the dock to the Termini RR station in Rome for the end of the trip?

Cruises from 'Rome' don't leave from Rome, they leave from Civitavecchia, approx 80km (50mi) away. You can take direct trains from Civitavecchia (station is about 4-5 blocks from port entrance) to Termini.

If you're headed North (by rail), there are also direct trains up the coast to Genoa (and beyond)

We just got back from The Solstice's Nov 20 roundtrip Rome cruise. We took the train both ways between Rome and Civitavecchia. We found it was easy to do, but I want to just alert you to some of possible "down-sides."

Getting to the ship from Rome is pretty simple, and I recommend the train service for this leg. As I recall, prices for the express trains are 8.5 euros pp. When you arrive at the Civitavecchia train station there are taxis that will take you to the cruise ship terminal for 20 euros (+ extra for luggage) and you can split this cost with another couple also heading to the ship. Couldn't be easier UNLESS there is a "sciopero" - the Italian word for strike, or if there is a "slowdown" - more on that below.

On our way back to Rome from the cruise terminal, we took a free shuttle service from the cruise ship terminal to the town of Civitavecchia. Note that the shuttle leaves you several blocks from the train station, and you must be able to haul your luggage yourself for maybe half a mile on level ground (sidewalks) and up some stairs. We had two rolling suitcases that weighed the max 50 pounds each, plus another 30 or 40 pounds in other bags, so we were pretty loaded down. My DH is 65 and I am 51 and we are in good shape. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who isn't in good shape.

Also, when we got to the train station it was packed - I was quite surprised. Found out there was a work slowdown that day so few trains were running. We later found a notice posted in Rome that a strike was scheduled a few days later on the day after we flew out of Rome. Whew!

We are able to get onto the train and I was very lucky to get a seat. But it was standing room only. In fact, after a few more stops so many commuters were cramming into the cars that the automatic doors wouldn't close anymore. After 20 minutes of not moving, the Carabinieri arrived (Italian police). Another 10 minutes to convince some commuters that no one was going anywhere unless a few of them got off the train. 50+ commuters were left standing on the platform, wondering how they would get into Rome (or, perhaps thankful that they couldn't get into work....who knows).

I speak Italian and we were not flying out that day and I was comfortably seated so this was all an adventure to me (I lived in Italy for a year...). You might not have the same reaction if you can't communicate and you have no idea what's happening....etc.

So, in summary, I recommend using the train from Rome to Civitavecchia as a cheap and easy transfer if you arrive at least one day in advance of your cruise departure. You will handle your own heavy luggage for a minimum of time. If a sciopero is scheduled on your departure day, you will have time to make alternate arrangements.

The cost is 8.5 euros for the express train pp and 20 euros (plus more for your luggage) for two couples for the train from the train station to the cruise ship terminal.

PS, there is a 9:46AM express train that will get you to the cruise ship terminal so that you can be one of the first to get on board your wonderful ship! Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...
I would use the train.

It was maybe 20 euro total for two first class tickets a few weeks ago when I went with my wife. Buy tickets at the station....we used the express train, took 45 minutes, no stops. The 1st class car was mostly empty, so plenty of room for luggage...

Hello Adamsommer -

can you tell me which train you took? I'm trying to locate 'first class' tickets and cannot find that fare on any of the trains. Also do you know if there are specific days that the express train does not run by chance?

Thanks!

Archived