Norvirus Relief?

tropicaltammy

I have contracted the Norovirus on my last 2 vacations (one cruise, one resort) I must be prone to it as no one else in my family got it. (The couple we were with at the resort got it, also). What should I pack to make me feel the least miserable as possible? Pepto? Immodium? Order bananas and ginger ale from room service? What have others found to bring them the most relief? Leave a week from today and want to prepare for the worst and expect the best.

1. Boost your immune system before you go. Take your vitamins, eat healthy, sleep well. I'm not a big fan of Airborne and Emergen-C, but I know people who swear by it.

2. Wash your hands often, but don't go all Howard Hughes freaked-out about it.

3. Immodium is your friend.

DD or I or both get sick nearly every time we travel. I picked up H1N1 on the CTN in October.

AD is great. For nausea, I take Emetrol. Works wonders. Trick is you have to keep it down.

And please, people. If you THINK you've contracted a bug, please stay away from others! True, you probably won't feel like getting out of bed for a couple of days, other than to run to the bathroom. But too many people, when they first start to feel bad, will just ignore their symptoms and that is when they're most apt to be walking around spreading the virus to others.

No one wants to self-impose a quarantine while on vacation, but it sure would help keep this stuff from spreading.

Don't lick your fingers when you eat. I see people all the time at buffets lick their fingers while in line for food and then touch the handles of the spoons. Then the next person comes along and voila the first person's saliva is now on the second persons hand when they lick their fingers while eating. Most people deny doing this but I watch all the time and see it everyday as I am somewhat paranoid being an infection control practitioner.

So far, we've found that prevention works best. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!! Keep your hands away from your face. We always carry the foil wrapped wet wipes and use them all the time after we serve ourselves at the buffet, after touching railings etc.

We also use Clorox wipes when we first enter the cabin or hotel room on everything, door handles, phone, light switches, remote, bathroom fixtures etc. A few minutes of prevention is worth it if it keeps that nasty virus away.

I sound like a germophobe but it really seems to work.

Archived