Time Zone question

defreeze

Hi,

I am cruising on the Norwegian Gem out of NYC to the Caribbean on 1/3/10.

I need to find out if the ship's time will change to match the time of the Caribbean ports (there is a one hour time difference).

I want to book an excursion in St. Maarten, and if the ship stays on Eastern time the whole voyage, I can't book this early excursion.

Is there a definitive way to find out whether on my sailing, the ship will change times or will keep Eastern time? I called the NCL 800 number and spoke to several people, none of whom could give me a definite answer.

Is there a way to contact the ship directly to ask the question?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am cruising on the Norwegian Gem out of NYC to the Caribbean on 1/3/10.

I need to find out if the ship's time will change to match the time of the Caribbean ports (there is a one hour time difference).

I want to book an excursion in St. Maarten, and if the ship stays on Eastern time the whole voyage, I can't book this early excursion.

Is there a definitive way to find out whether on my sailing, the ship will change times or will keep Eastern time? I called the NCL 800 number and spoke to several people, none of whom could give me a definite answer.

Is there a way to contact the ship directly to ask the question?

Thanks.

Yes. The ships time will change according to the time zone you are in. They will remind you of the time change via the T.V. and also in the Freestyle Daylies.

We were just on the Pearl in the eastern Caribbean and the ship time changed to local time both forward and back. There was an announcement in the Freestyle Daily the night before each change and all the clocks on the ship and the phone and TV change as well.

Hmm.....We booked an outside excursion on St Martin for the ATV tour. The time they gave for "pick up" was 11:40 St Martin time. You say there is a "one hour" difference. Is that one hour earlier or later than EST?

Also....does this time difference apply to every port...including San Juan as well? I have something booked there too.

I have booked the same St. Maarten tour, but the earlier one (8:40 a.m.)

St. Maarten time is one hour ahead of Eastern time. It is 10:04 a.m. in NYC now, so it is 11:04 a.m. in St. Maarten.

I believe all the Caribbean ports are the same time as St. Maarten.

If the ship changes time in the ports, then there is no problem - however, if the ship stays on Eastern time, I won't make the excursion.

Does anyone know how to contact the ship directly?

Here is a link to some time zone info for North and Central America

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzstandard.php?listsw=namerica&sorttb=CountryID

It seems that it is almost certain that the ship changes time to local time for the upcoming port. "Almost", because some have reported here that did not happen for them. All local excursion folks know about ship arrivals, etc...they will wait for you. Don't worry about it.

Archived