Orlando/Port Canaveral

mnsawyer

Am doing some research into whether or not staying in Orlando is better than going directly to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area. I know that many cruise critics go to the Radisson but I checked for April 2005 and it's expensive ($160+). Also, in looking at other Cocoa Beach hotels, some are not highly rated (from this board and trip advisor) but cheaper than the Radisson. The Hampton Inn looks pretty good and is actually has some good reviews. The Hampton Inns I have stayed at in the past have been excellent

But on the other hand, I can stay near the airport for half the price. While cost isn't the driving factor, I'm curious as whether Cocoa Beach and the pier are worth the extra cost. We typically cruise out of Miami and love Bayside but not sure if the pier that is advertised is that good. If I go with staying in Orlando, would try to get a room on Priceline which 3 stars are all nice hotels and have pools, etc. We'd just then take the hotel shuttle to the airport the next day and take the Carnival transfer (we're not renting a car). We can get to MCO the day before the cruise as early as 10:30 a.m.

Any input and advice is appreciated - especially looking for information on Cocoa Beach...things to do, beach, shops, restaurants, etc.

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn. It is as good as any Hampton I have stayed at before. As for things to do, you can go to the famous Ron Jon's surf shop, a huge place with t-shirts galore as well as other knick-knacks, etc. The beach is right behind it, but it is not a pretty white sand, rather a brown sand/rock combo -- we used swimshoes so we didn't hurt our feet.

You can also take a tour of Cape Kennedy and the Launch areas from NASA. They have rockets to explore, an IMAX theatre and exhibits, etc. There is usually an astronaut there to talk to and get an autograph.

Then again, there are the usual minigolfs, race cars, waffle houses, etc.

Some of the more talked about hotels by the Orlando Airport include the Hyatt Orlando airport which is a part of the airport. Nice hotel but you will pay for it, and when it comes to dining you, will definitely be under the airport pricing influence. A lot of people though stay at the Marriott or the Hampton Inn on International Highway whcih is only a couple miles from the airport and both hotels have free shuttles.

Many people really like the Hampton Inn because it is a new property, the staff seems to always get good reviews and best yet, you can walk to a large number of restaurants such as TGI Fridays, Bennigans, Chillis, Hooters etc. So you can get off the plane, take the free shuttle to the hotel and then drive or be driven into Port Canaveral in the morning. This is exactly why I booked several rooms for my whole family for our cruise departing there this summer. I should also tell you that I've seen a number of posts that many people are finding good deals on these two properties on Hotwire. I booked several rooms right on the Hampton Inn (Hilton) website and got AAA rates of $70.00 per night w/ c. breakfast.

I think there is something to be said for "getting there" but... too many of the hotels by the port are quite worn, not too clean and charge as if they were a much higher grade of property (as you found out) when in fact they are often truly "one nighter" types of properties. Plus, I am an experianced traveler, I don't feel a need to pack for a airplane flight a week in advance, nor do I feel the need to sleep in a hotel a block from my next cruise ship a day or two early just to be there. Its only a 40 minute or so drive anway. No dis intended on those who chose the arrive in Canaveral a night early method at all, I just prefer not to follow the crowds, and hopefully get a little more value and conveinance for my buck.

Same thing for transportation from the Orlando Airport. Carnival charges $50.00 per person round trip to the port and back. Of course you need to wait for everyone else before they leave. This trip I have my family a party of 7. I've rented a stretch Limo picking us up at the hotel for a roundtrip price that saves me $75.00 over the Carnival method! Its ALL about research and planning. Good luck and happy sailing to all!

George

George - thanks so much for the great information. I have actually looked at the Hampton Inn both at the airport and Cocoa Beach. The couple of Hamptons that I have stayed in have been very nice and at a reasonable price. I don't have to be right at the port on the date of departure but know many people prefer to. We would also probably purchase the Carnival transfers as well. I believe someone had mentioned that they start running after 9:30 a.m. or so. We did Carnival transfer years ago just from the port of Miami to the hotel (included since we used Carnival's fly package) and it was fine. I know that many of the nicer airport hotels can be found through Priceline but again, the Hampton sounds pretty good especially with a nice breakfast included. I'm also pleased that you recommend the Hampton as well. Thanks again for your post. It's appreciated!

Actually, the Mears (Carnival) shuttle is the cheapest from what I have found. It's $19 per person one-way. Art's Shuttle is $55 for 1-3 people. Renting a car would cost nearly that. To me, the advantage of staying near the airport is to stay at a hotel that has a shuttle, take it from the airport to the hotel and then the next morning, take it again to the airport to get the Mears bus. Others will disagree in that many cruisers rent a car and go to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area. For more than 2 people, I think that is the best way, but for 2 it's a toss up

The $19 per person one way is directly through Carnival.

Hmmmm.....I booked the transfers on Mears and it is $100 for 2 people, both ways...when did you book yours??? Maybe I need to call them....

They told me the earliest shuttle leaves MCO at 11:00 AM

I'm staying 2 nights pre-cruise in Cocoa Beach in the Holiday Inn Oceanfront. It was re-opened Jan. 1st after some hurricane damage. The hotel is only 7 miles from the port. My mom, who lives in Cocoa Beach, went to the hotel and looked at a room. She said the hotel looked great with a nice pool area. I booked 2 nights for 60.00 per night through Priceline. The room goes for 125.00 per night if you book without Priceline.

Hope this helps.

Archived