We Turned Down the Upsell

yoyocruiser

I posted last week my dilemma over whether or not we should take an upsell if it was offered--and it was. I know people are often curious as to the specifics. We are on the Jewel for the Jan 3 sailing. We have an AB suite--and there are six of us (our four college age children and us); as well as my sister in an inside right across the hall. Given our numbers, the only thing available was--as i suspected it would be--an A3. The A3 is exactly the same size and configuration as our current suite, the only difference was the courtyard access. We were offered the A3 for an icnrease of $350 each--or $700 total. Frankly I thought it was a very good deal and price--the regular increase would have been around $700 each of $1400. I did not try to see if it would go lower, as after thinking it through, and getting advice/information from folks here, I had already decided not to take it. Obviously we would have taken an A1--but there was none available to even price out.

Our decision was made based on the fact that my sister would no longer be across the hall and while I am comfortable asking a couple of favors in order to have her join us at Cagney's for perhaps lunch one day and sit with us at a show, I am not comfortable (nor would it be allowed) asking her to join us in the courtyard. Secondly, I do not really feel the college age kids would appreciate the setting, and while $700 is not a huge sum of money, it is substantial. I had some slight concerns that they might be too noisy, and frankly I do not want to worry about having to supervise my family. CCers here confirmed that the upgrade would not have provided us with any additional cabin space or balcony space, which, had either been true, might have changed my mind. And finally, we have NEVER been in a suite and only had a balcony once, so this is going to seem extremely wonderful--without a courtyard.

So we are happily remaining in our AB which is what we initially felt best suited our needs when we booked six months ago, after considering a range of options (3 separate rooms, 2 rooms etc.). Our family (the six of us) decided on squishing in the AB (instead of an AB and another room) so that there would be no differences in the amenities to whcih we were entitled. Later my sister decided to come and we were able to get the room right across from us. So actually we are in a very perfect set-up.

Thanks to all who have given wonderful information and I look forward to giving you a report back as to how everything goes. I have always LOVED every cruise, so I am sure that this one is going to be extra special.

The best of holidays to all,

yoyocruiser

i think you made a good choice. You have a good setup right now and I would stick with it. Even at even money, I do not think I would have bothered in your situation.

Also, having that extra cabin right across the hall might provide a little relief to your full AB.

Enjoy your cruise.

garycarla

You know--I did think of that too and forgot to put that in my reasoning--LOL.

I guess I will also be able to update folks on what it is like to have SIX people in a fairly small suite!! Maybe I'll end up moving in with my sister in the inside cabin!!!:eek:

yoyocruiser

Are the AB suites and the A3 suites different than on the Gem? I am sailing on the Gem for a 10 day cruise in AB with a total of 5 people (one if which is only 18 months old). I called about a potential upsell to an A3 and I was qouted at about $3500 total! We booked a year in advance so saved some. Also we booked through a TA. For the benefit of the courtyard it is not worth that amount of money!

dmark

I am not sure if the AB and A3 are exactly the same, but I believe it is a similar situation. I am not surprised at that difference in price--the $3500. The courtyards suites are truly the ultiamte luxury. In fact, that is why I felt that I had the potential to get such a good deal--for only $700. However, as noted above it just was not the right thing for my situation.

Perhaps the same opportunity will come to you in the 10 days prior to your cruise--you can upsell from the AB to the A3 for a much smaller amount. However, there is no guarantee. The advice I have seen here so often is totally true--book what you want in the beginning. Then you can hope for an upsell to make it even better--but even then, as in my case, what I booked really was just what I wanted.

You will have a great time in your AB I am sure!

yoyocruiser

Archived