Swim with dolphins in Melbourne

Luvsailing

Has anyone been on the Diamond Princess excursion in Melbourne, Australia which is a 2 hour drive to Sorrento and then a swim with dolphins? I'd love to know details and if you encountered any dolphins. Many thanks.

Holiday Greetings.

There are several operators around Port Philip Bay. Make Google your friend ;) None of them can guarantee you'll get to see any dolphins as they are living in the wild but they probably have a pretty good idea where to find them. Sorrento and Queenscliff are about equidistant from the cruiseship wharf at Station Quay in Port Melbourne (about 2 hours drive).

• 3 weeks later...
There are several operators around Port Philip Bay. Make Google your friend ;) None of them can guarantee you'll get to see any dolphins as they are living in the wild but they probably have a pretty good idea where to find them. Sorrento and Queenscliff are about equidistant from the cruiseship wharf at Station Quay in Port Melbourne (about 2 hours drive).

Thank you so much for your reply. I definitely will go on an excursion. Is the temperature in February going to be warm?

From what I have heard, you usually always see and swim with the dolphins. As they are down near Queenscliff, it is more open water and they live around that area.

I believe it is a great excursion. Enjoy. http://www.dolphinswims.com.au/

Jennie

Thank you so much for sending me the site. It looks absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to get to Australia. I will get in touch with Sea All and see if they provide transportation. If they don't I'll try to find out how to get to Port Phillip from the cruise ship. Thanks again for your response it was very helpful.

The whole of our huge bay (one of the biggest in the world) is officially called Port Phillip Bay and Melbourne is just one city/town on it. Look at a map and you'll see that Queenscliff is a small town right on the western entrance to the bay. It's about a 2 hour drive from Station Pier in Melbourne where the cruise ships dock. If you contact the dolphin swim operators they will be able to tell you about transport and perhaps even provide their own.

Luvsailing,

February is officially our hottest month of the year though at the moment I am beginning to wonder if January has taken over from it as it was 44C yesterday and is going to reach 40C today before we get a cool change hopefully in the next few hours.

The water will be fairly warm though down at Queenscliffe with the tides sending the colder water in from Bass Strait twice a day, it could be a little cooler. Unless you strike a cool day, the water should be pleasant.

Jennie

Luvsailing,

February is officially our hottest month of the year though at the moment I am beginning to wonder if January has taken over from it as it was 44C yesterday and is going to reach 40C today before we get a cool change hopefully in the next few hours.

The water will be fairly warm though down at Queenscliffe with the tides sending the colder water in from Bass Strait twice a day, it could be a little cooler. Unless you strike a cool day, the water should be pleasant.

Jennie

Thank you once again Jennie. You are wonderful. I saw somewhere that the temperature was 68 F and that's too cool for me. Must have been an error. I am amazed at your temperature - 44 converts to 118, oh my. You must be sweltering.

The whole of our huge bay (one of the biggest in the world) is officially called Port Phillip Bay and Melbourne is just one city/town on it. Look at a map and you'll see that Queenscliff is a small town right on the western entrance to the bay. It's about a 2 hour drive from Station Pier in Melbourne where the cruise ships dock. If you contact the dolphin swim operators they will be able to tell you about transport and perhaps even provide their own.

This is wonderful information. Thank you so much. I have contacted Sea All but haven't heard back. I probably will take the Diamond Princess excursion.

Archived