Pre and post cruise San Juan review

vikqueen

We just returned from a Southern Caribbean cruise round trip out of San Juan and I wanted to share our experience with everyone who was so helpful in planning our trip. We came in a day early and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde and we thought it was the perfect place! We checked in quickly and were given an upgrade to an ocean front suite, very nice. We hit the beach in record time and loved the beautiful sandy shore and the trees and hammocks. We had fun body surfing and playing, we didn't even want to leave for dinner so we ate poolside along the beach, the hamburgers were very good. Someone had gotten married there and there was a live band playing while they danced, very fun. Yes, there is airplane noise, but it didn't bother us because we knew it would be there. The beach more than made up for it! We loved the location because it was so near the airport that we could jump right into our vacation almost as soon as we landed, we knew we'd need to cab it to the pier regardless the next day. The balcony was very large and nice. There are no see- ums, they have bug spray at the towel desk.

We requested and were granted a 1 pm checkout so we could enjoy the resort Sunday morning as well. We arrived at the Pan Am pier around 1:30 and had no problem with long lines to embark. The duty free liquor store was very convenient, we bought a case of water, sodas, and wines and had no problem bringing them aboard. Very nice!

On our return we had booked a private tour through Legends of Puerto Rico (***********.com). They picked us up at the pier and took us on a tour of the Rainforest followed by a visit to Luquillo beach. I can't say enough about the knowledge, enthusiasm, and friendliness of our guides, Debbie and Carlos. They stopped at a deli and helped us order a great picnic lunch to eat at Mina Falls. Carlos gave us a fun and fascinating tour of the rainforest, I had visited before with a cruise excursion and didn't learn half as much or enjoy it nearly as much. They texted us afterwords to make sure we had enjoyed ourselves and to see if they could help us in any other way during our stay in PR., checking on baseball schedules and everything. Really top notch. The traffic in old San Juan on a Sunday night is horrendous, be aware of this! It took us an hour to get from the entry into Old San Juan to the El Convento hotel where we stayed. The hotel was beautiful, we had a great view and the courtyard was stunning. I loved this hotel. Going up to the roof top pool in the evening was magical, the kids took a dip in the small pool while we enjoyed the view. There is a free wine reception each evening with cheese and grapes from 6 until 7 pm. The only weird part was we didn't get maid service the next day until turn down.

We tried to eat dinner at Raices but the wait was almost 2 hours, the same for everywhere with the cruise ships in on Sunday! We finally gave in and went to the Hard Rock. We had fun!

The next day we took a Segway tour which I discuss on the Segway thread, it was really fantastic! There is also a great coffee shop right there on pier 2 as well. We had breakfasted at Bombonera for Malloracas that were very yummy. We lunched at Raices, which still had a small wait at 2:30 pm! The food there was great! We shopped around the rest of the day and played on the roof top pool. I found Santos at the Puerto Rican Arts and Craft store on Fortaleza street between San Justo and Cruz; but I bought them at El Galpon on Calle del Cristo a block down from the El Convento because I liked the looks of theirs better. Both places ranged basically from $45 to $150 for the ones I was looking at. Neither place will deal down on their Santos prices, unlike everything else we bought in San Juan. We had dinner at the hotel's El Picoteo, sharing tapas and a very good sangria. The next morning we had breakfast at a kiosk in the Plaza de Armas, we had 4 pastries and two coffees and two waters for less than $10 and it was great coffee. We then walked to fort San Cristobal and toured it and found only a couple of iguanas, I guess they were hiding from the heat. We lunched at Patio de Sams and had great sandwiches and very friendly service before sadly leaving for the airport. The airport is a big line, get there early. First you have to wait to have your bags xrayed by the USDA, then line up to check your bags, then line up for security. But we made it home safe and sound and had a really great trip, can't wait to return!

Thanks for the review. I am sailing the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan in March. I have sailied from this port before....the southern caribbean is beautiful, but I was on RCCL...not Princess, so some things are new to me about their policies.

Could you tell me more about the duty free purchases you took onboard? When you are at that pier to get to the duty free shop you hav ealready checked your bags right? So did you carry it right on and to your room??? They allowed you to keep it to consume?? WHat all were you alowed to have?

I was thinking about having a cab stop somewhere to buy wine/water etc, but if I can buy it there and carry it on...thast great!!

In the past with RCCL when I got off my plane I could go right to the port and usually get on in a reasonable amount of time and use the public areas right away till my room is ready. Is this the same for Princess? Our plane comes in at 1133am.

I agree the Segway tour was GREAT!!! We did that this past May and then grabbed lunch at Hard Rock before catching a later fight.

RN, yes, you just carry them right on to your room. It is much cheaper to buy at the duty free so wait until then! We spent more than $100 so they gave us a free wheeled carryon and put our wine in inflatable holders. It fit all our wine and our case of water, the soda we just carried. I think basically you can buy as much as you can carry on. They had water, coke, sprite, tonic water, wines, rum, whiskey, vodka, baileys, etc. No beer. Princess let us take it all on and into our room to consume.

wow thats great. Did they ask you what was in the bag or scan it? Its good to know they have water too....Ilike to have bottled water on hand. Our plane lands at 1133 am and we plan to go right to the ship. I have read mixed opinions about getting on early.....did you have any trouble at all?? They still had water available at the duty free at what time? How long till your actual room was ready?

We got to the pier at 1:30, the embarkation was very easy. They did scan my bag but said nothing about it. With the duty free right there I think they expect you to bring it on! My room was ready as soon as we boarded, I believe on Princess they usually are.

No we didn't take our wine to dinner, you can, but I don't know if there is a corkage fee. While we chat about wine, the $25 wine tasting on the last day of the cruise was really great, good wines, fantastic appetizers, and fun people!

That sounds good Ill have to try that out maybe:) Yes while we are talking wine anyone have good suggestions. I like sweet/cold wine. I usually buy Beringers White Zin and I have started to like some sweet Reislings....oh and Concord red too...yum. It tastes like grape juice. Can anyone suggest a type or brand they think Id enjoy I could try on this next cruise??

Hi,

I thought I'd give you a heads up! If your planning on taking your duty free liquor in your carryon onto the Victory be advised that Carnival is now tagging all carryons with liquor inside. They will take it away from you & hold it for you until the end of the cruise. I guess it just started on Dec 13th sailing. :(

Not sure if Princess & Rccl will go that route but be advised!

Sue

Archived