Golden Princess

tcworld

We got off of the Golden Princess on Sunday. Just wanted to let everyone know about the new Princess policy regarding tendering. If you cannot stand and take a few steps you will not be able to tender. A notice was left on our bed when we arrived. Needless to say I was very disappointed since I am unable to stand or walk. Since it was up to the Captains discretion we contacted the Captain and finally got permission since I use a small manual chair and am only 120 pounds. I hope we don't have to go through this every time we cruise Princess.

Yes, we have discussed this "new" policy (about 2 years old) on this forum many times. You might not have had to had such a rude surprise if you had read the previous posts here about this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=722097

My mother also cannot stand or walk, and we have resigned ourselves on Mexican Riviera cruises with Princess to no longer attempt to get off a Cabo, but we will not be taking Princess round trip to Hawaii again until they change this policy. HAL will still tender you in a manual chair (no wider than 18" seat), and there are at least two tender ports on the Hawaiian cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the Hawaii cruise in November on board Golden Princess and I must say the small ramps over the doors were a proper pain in the but. I could not travel about the ship unaided even tho I use a manual wheelchair. Never the less I enjoyed the cruise despite not the best weather and the disapointment at not dissembarking at one port of call due to tendering, sea was a bit too choppy anyway and I would not have gone even if the option was available.

With a bit of common sense and a man at each corner of the chair lifting most obsticles can be overcome but the ownus of risk should ultimately be down to the wheelchair user.

Archived