Can you use Skype on P & O's computers?

mrssoexcited

If so, is there a camera? Does anyone know what the charge for internet use is at the moment? thanks - Karen

Hi Karen,

Not sue about the Jewel, but Internet on the Sun was $0.75/min casual and I think $0.40/min if you paid $100.00 and then you got 250 min, from memory, so Skype may work but would be expensive and I didn't see any cameras on Sun and the speed was VERY slow, also the WiFi didn't work, so your own laptop can be a hassle, if you do have a laptop take a data cable, because we managed to borrow one from the purser but they only had 2 or 3.

But good luck and it maybe different on Jewel. Have fun!

Cheers

Richard

Internet time onboard is quite expensive - so even if Skype worked, I cannot see it being an economical option .

Also - I use Skype here at home and it works best on a high speed Broadband connection. I have never used onboard Internet, but everybody says that it is slow. So on that basis, I would think that Skype probably would not work onboard.

Barry

Barry, could you computer people help me please it's about skype........with a computer at home does it cost extra to skype...can some one explain this in simple terms please

Nope, it does NOT cost to use skype (If you do just computer to computer calls)

I regularly use Skype for computer to computer voice chats with my son who is in London. It is free for this purpose. Mind you - it is now cheaper to call London via a landline telephone than it is to call a mobile within Australia, so Skype doesn't save that much money really.

BUT - we find it good as we can send one another photos while we are talking - and send one another Internet website links, look at Google maps, etc. We even switch our web cams on occasionally

Barry

We also have a daughter in London and use skype to keep in contact with her. It is free to use... at the moment.

It does not cost anything to download it, but if you want to add a camera you will need to purchase one, and they are not too expensive. Our is a Logitech

When using skype it does freeze at times but it is great to be able to talk and see our daughter at the same time.:)

We also talk to her on the home phone as she has free calls to Australia for an hour at a time.:D

Spoke/saw my DD today on the Sapphire Princess using skype, she was using her laptop in the crew bar so one would assume it works on the ship. Not too sure of the cost but I know she buys an internet card.

On our last cruise we used Skype on the Sun Princess (Feb 09) with our own laptop and had no problems at all,we had good WIFI connection although some times a bit slow.

I didnt see it available on the ships computers in the computer room .

Cheers Johhno

Archived