The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Your info is wonderful, thank you. It is making me think again about the idea of renting a car. We just wanted to keep things simple, you know? I'm just seeing that it may cost us easily a good $250.00 for transportation between getting to the hotel, getting back to the airport and a few things in between. I will definitely follow up with the people you've suggested.

Hello Laurie,

Renting a car is always the easiest and that is my sincere belief for with a rental car, you never feel tied down or get stressed out over who to go with, different prices etc - rental car, jump in and head out - whereever you decide to stay, go to post #295, get the GM's name and I can almost guarantee you that they will help you with directions, questions etc

and the best part, the least expensive way to get around

This is just MY OWN THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS OK?

Thank you Shirley and this must be a first someone going to a Weight Watchers meeting while being on vacation? LOL

I figure if I weigh in on the 1st I have until 10/31/10 to get rid of the cruise weight I always gain.

Thanks again!

:)

Proud of you girlfriend that you have taken yourself on this adventure - I am the opposite of you for I am always underweight - can you give me a few pounds please?

Good luck and give yourself a lot of credit for it isn't easy - I know because it is hard to for to gain the weight :-(

GOOD LUCK

Hello Schooner Bar Girl - I use both and both are great for they both have very clean shops and working areas, good products, good choices of colors and other services - Hollywood is the closest to International Palms so I would go there and also tell them you are off this board - you know there is the cutest dress shop right North of them, maybe one or two store down that carries some of the cutest crusing clothes - don't remember the name, just know I have been in there and really like their clothes - anyhow a taxi from the IP to Walmart is going to cost you a bit and the trolley bus only runs North and South on A1A. I don't even know what to suggest. I understand we now have a new cab company here - I will check tomorrow and see if they have a flat rate or is it like all the others - I had to take one from my car repair shop in Merritt Island and to go about 5 miles, cost about $12.00 plus so I am saying maybe no more than $30.00 round trip. That is just a guess now

Anyhow if I hear something, will let you know but at least you have something here to think about.

Good luck :-))

Hi Shirley! Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to go with Hollywood as they do both fingers and toes. They do an acrylic/gel combo for toes and can do gel nails for me for fingers.:) Diva's only does polish for the toes.

I was able to get a rental car for $50 all taxes in for one day so I'm going to do that and then I'm free to go wherever my heart desires.;)

I will have to check out the clothing shop that you suggested as I'm always needing new cruise clothes. Thank you so much for your help!!!:D

Good Morning,

Shirley, I'm going to be leaving out of Port Canaveral this Friday. We're staying at the Radisson at the Port. I'm driving so will have a car. I'm looking for a nail salon & grocery store in the area, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Vickie

Yes, there are two bathrooms. Both bathrooms are off the bedrooms. In both cases, you enter the bedroom first, than into the bathroom.

Thanks for the info! guess we'll have to book a second room, hate having to go through the bedroom to get to a bathroom.

Hi Shirley! Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to go with Hollywood as they do both fingers and toes. They do an acrylic/gel combo for toes and can do gel nails for me for fingers.:) Diva's only does polish for the toes.

I was able to get a rental car for $50 all taxes in for one day so I'm going to do that and then I'm free to go wherever my heart desires.;)

I will have to check out the clothing shop that you suggested as I'm always needing new cruise clothes. Thank you so much for your help!!!:D

Hello there everybody-----------RISE AND SHINE FOR IT'S ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE;-)

Now SBG -----you made some great choices and this way you won't feel so stressed out and mess up the excitement of your cruise - I wish I could remember that dress shop's name, but I know they have been there for years and they do have the cutest clothes.

You will like Hollywood nails - they even offer facials etc - I believe what I like about their shop is that they have this HUGE mural of a carribean island and I always imagine myself there with a Bahama Mama, cool breeze and looking at the water - oh well its nice ;-)

Good Morning,

Shirley, I'm going to be leaving out of Port Canaveral this Friday. We're staying at the Radisson at the Port. I'm driving so will have a car. I'm looking for a nail salon & grocery store in the area, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Vickie

Hello Vickie,

OK from the Radisson, you will start driving South about 2 miles or less - you will be going to the Cornerstone Plaza where Publix, Diva Nails are both located - if you will go to post #295, it gives addresses etc - ask for Tina and tell her you are off this board - she is the one that I use -She has the neatest new nail gel that is all glitter in so many different colors - I love it cause since I love Bling, it goes with what I enjoy Good luck and have a great time on your cruise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Alex,

Yep feeling better - just had a bug for a few days or just maybe it has just been so darn hot, that it zapped me - anyhow I know we have a few places listed around here with supposely theme park discounts but never really checked into them and know nothing about them - have you thought of writing our Chamber of commerce and asking them for I do know they will be more than happy to help you and also mention you got their information off of this board

you can drop Michelle a note and I know she will be able to answer any/all of your questions and also just maybe someone here will give you more info.

mlamb@cocoabeachchamber.com

BTW have you looked into visiting our local Brevard Zoo - I had never been, tried it and was really quite impressed and maybe doing this won't kinda of stress you out with just one day at the theme park - we also have Cocoa Village which is a neat place to walk around and then of course how can we forget about the Dinosaur Store here in Cocoa Beach - just thoughts ok - I will see what I can find out and get back to you but don't know if it will be this week or not -

Meanwhile have a smily day - we all need them :-))

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for the e-mail. Worse case we'll just hang out at Coconuts on the Beach, how bad can that be;) I told Michelle, that the Chamber should give you an official tittle for all the effort you put into making such an enjoyable and easy visit for anyone on this board going to Port Canaveral.

Some final quick questions-

1-Cara Mia Riverside Grill for Italian close to FourP--Any +/-

2-Aside from the zoo if you anything special is going on 9/3 or 9/4 keep me in mind.

3-How/where do we start that Shirley petition

thanks again for all your help:D

Alex

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for the e-mail. Worse case we'll just hang out at Coconuts on the Beach, how bad can that be;) I told Michelle, that the Chamber should give you an official tittle for all the effort you put into making such an enjoyable and easy visit for anyone on this board going to Port Canaveral.

2-Aside from the zoo if you anything special is going on 9/3 or 9/4 keep me in mind.

Alex

OK here are my own thoughts and feelings

1) I LOVE CARA MIA - it could be for a number of reasons - maybe because of the colors that it is painted (reminds me of my hometown of Key West) - maybe because I thought for a long time the city was going to tear it down due to its age and I actually wanted to LIVE THERE :-) maybe because the food is excellent - who knows but I like it - also there is another restuarant there that is 5 stars plus but it has French Cuisine and it is known all over the world - been there and loved that also - I LOVE COCOA VILLAGE - just read today that they are putting in golf carts so folks can ride for free and learn the deep history of Cocoa Village -

2) there is always something going on like this weekend from the 20th to the 22nd, we have the huge boat race at the port - now that is going to interesting - it is called Thunder on the Beach

3) the petition is not necessary - just make sure that CC is acknowledged for allowing this thread to be so popular, acknowledge their patrons who advertise with them for each of them make this whole thing possible. I love Michelle from The Chamber - she is a neat lady.

Thanks for everything Alex and if there is anything else any of us can do, just let us know.

I sincerely and truely enjoy everyone on here and the sincere kindness that has been shown.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and keep that smile going :-))

PS hey Coconuts isn't so bad - it sure is always interesting and their bands are not bad - you could walk across the street and look at all the stuff the Surf has on their walls going back to the first launches etc - the originial 7 use to start there and drive their red, white and blue corvettes all the way through Cape Canaveral - they would stop and give out autographs - it was quite the time to be here so many years ago - you can walk over to Roberto's introduce yourself from the board, and Roberto's will give you a treat - he has some great pictures of Cuba there - like I said it is a hopping area but I am afride Norm and I are just a little past that age where we can keep up since we work the 7 days or so - take care and again thanks for being such a nice person

Edited by snelsonbrown

Hi Shirley,

Alex

Hey Alex - the Italian restaurant close to 4 Points is called Brando and if you go there ask for Eryn and if you tell her you are off the CC board, she will give you a dessert at no cost.

The food and presentation is awesome.

Cara Mia is in Cocoa located at Cocoa Village

Hey Alex - the Italian restaurant close to 4 Points is called Brando and if you go there ask for Eryn and if you tell her you are off the CC board, she will give you a dessert at no cost.

The food and presentation is awesome.

Cara Mia is in Cocoa located at Cocoa Village

Since we'll have a car it might be fun to drive to CV. Sounds like we have similar taste. I saw some pictures of CaraMia remodel and it looks warm and cozy and I guess we can walk the carbs off at CV...Coconuts looked like a simple/fun place for some snacks right on the beach, which you confirmed by "not so bad";) but we'll save room for cake at Roberto' (Would Sunrise Diner be in the same not to bad category?) Low key, relaxed and not to far are the only requirements for this trip...

I'll let you know how these places turned out when I get back.

Alex

Just got back from FOS yesterday. Rented a car from Avis and stayed at Residence Inn. It was fine, would stay there again. Ate at Fishlips and Rusty's. between the two, my wife and kids all agree the we liked Rusty's better. Way too hot to sit outside, though. Took Quicksilver back to MCO. Would definitely recommend them.

Since we'll have a car it might be fun to drive to CV. Sounds like we have similar taste. I saw some pictures of CaraMia remodel and it looks warm and cozy and I guess we can walk the carbs off at CV...Coconuts looked like a simple/fun place for some snacks right on the beach, which you confirmed by "not so bad";) but we'll save room for cake at Roberto' (Would Sunrise Diner be in the same not to bad category?) Low key, relaxed and not to far are the only requirements for this trip...

I'll let you know how these places turned out when I get back.

Alex

Alex I haven't been to Sunrise Diner in a very long time, but it is a GreeK restaurant - Dimitri is the owner and a nice and polite gentleman - his parents help him quite a bit when they are not spending time in Greece. Sunset is across the street and sits right on the Banana River and it is owned by the same person that has Milligan's Reef out at the Cove - when you go to CV, stop in at the Black Dog Gallery and introduce yourself to the owner Lori - she will REALLY give you a big heads up on CV - she is or was a member of the board of CV. I accidentally deleted her email address or would have given it to you.

Anyhow please take the time to post as to what you did, where you went etc and please give me some feedback since this is the only way I can find out what really goes on OK?

Just got back from FOS yesterday. Rented a car from Avis and stayed at Residence Inn. It was fine, would stay there again. Ate at Fishlips and Rusty's. between the two, my wife and kids all agree the we liked Rusty's better. Way too hot to sit outside, though. Took Quicksilver back to MCO. Would definitely recommend them.

thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience - its great when folks give their own thoughts and feelings

Sounds like you had a great time - now don't stay away too long so come on back for we keep the lights on all night :-)

Hello and good evening! I have read the boards a lot but am new to posting. Coming in on the Pride Aug. 25th with 7 adults and 3 grandchildren 7 and under. My daughter wanted to take the kids to a waterpark just for a few hours, but the only thing I saw closeby was the Ron Jon Resort which has a large pool and a mini-waterpark. Plus it is 3 blocks to the beach. Does anyone know if they have day passes? Also, if we take 2 taxis to Cocoa Beach, does anyone know approx. cost and what all is there besides the beach? Shopping? Anything fun for kids?

Thanks for all your help!

Dana:D

Hello and good evening! I have read the boards a lot but am new to posting. Coming in on the Pride Aug. 25th with 7 adults and 3 grandchildren 7 and under. My daughter wanted to take the kids to a waterpark just for a few hours' date=' but the only thing I saw closeby was the Ron Jon Resort which has a large pool and a mini-waterpark. Plus it is 3 blocks to the beach. Does anyone know if they have day passes? Also, if we take 2 taxis to Cocoa Beach, does anyone know approx. cost and what all is there besides the beach? Shopping? Anything fun for kids?

Thanks for all your help!

Dana:D[/quote']

Good morning Dana,

We do not have a waterpark such as they have in Orlando - guess it would almost be impossible to put one here, but you never know - Ron Jon's is a resort and timesharing but I doubt very serious if they have day passes - There is the Jetty Park that has a playground, the beach, showers, fishing, lunchenette etc - the one thing you have to remember is that the port is just that and you can not walk anywhere from it - what I can suggest is that you drop Michelle (from the chamber of commerce) a note and I know she would be thrilled to help you - also if you will go to post #295 and really take a lot of time to read it, it gives you a lot of information as places to go, places to see, places to visit etc ---One of the places I took my great grandkids was to the Dinosaur store and my goodness I bet we were in there for a couple of hours because it was so interesting. I also took them over to 4 Points to have lunch with Nemo and Fred - 4 Points has a shark tank

with tropical fish and of course I told the kids Nemo was there and Fred is an eel that is huge and acts like a dog who always wants to be petted by the feeders. There is Cocoa Beach Pier which also has a lot of interest - you have the Brevard Zoo - anyhow go to that thread and also I know a lot of folks will give you a lot of imput that will help.

Welcome to the board and may you find all that you want to know and get all the help you are asking for - you will be surprise at all the helping hands that will be extended and you will be fine.

Hello Star,

Wouldn't it be great if each had a thread for Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and Jacksonville - then folks wouldn't feel so fusterated or confused - Maybe someone will start one - the leg work is very hard in the beginning, but once it is put together, it only has to be update 2 or 3 times a year - lets see what happens.

Hope your day is going great

oh heck why stop at just FL.....lol...but this one has been VERY HELPFUL thats for sure!!

anyone have recent experience for seafood in the Cocoa/Canaveral area? We would like fantastic seafood during our pre-cruise stay. I've already been thru #295, just looking for first hand, recent experience. Thanks for all the info that has been provided in this thread, a wealth of info.

anyone have recent experience for seafood in the Cocoa/Canaveral area? We would like fantastic seafood during our pre-cruise stay. I've already been thru #295, just looking for first hand, recent experience. Thanks for all the info that has been provided in this thread, a wealth of info.

I, as a local, can truly say there are several places that give me my fill of excellent seafood

Now remember I was born and raised in Key West where seafood was our daily staples so quite the expert on it

Florida Seafood ----------------Cocoa Beach

Corky Bells---------------------Cocoa, Florida

Grills---------------------------Cape Canaveral

Dixie Crossroad-----------------Port St. Johns (close to Titusville)

These are a few and I am sure others will give their imput

GOOD LUCK :-)