The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

I haven't had time to read all 63 pages of this thread and I apologize if these have been asked before. I have friends taking a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale in April. First of all, is a cab the best way to get to the port from the airport, and what is the approximate cost? Also after the cruise their flight home doesn't leave until about 8:00 p.m. so they would either like to rent a car or get a day rate at a nearby hotel (preferably on the beach). Is there a rental car place at the port? Or do you know of any hotels nearby that offer a day rate? Thanks!

I haven't had time to read all 63 pages of this thread and I apologize if these have been asked before. I have friends taking a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale in April. First of all, is a cab the best way to get to the port from the airport, and what is the approximate cost? Also after the cruise their flight home doesn't leave until about 8:00 p.m. so they would either like to rent a car or get a day rate at a nearby hotel (preferably on the beach). Is there a rental car place at the port? Or do you know of any hotels nearby that offer a day rate? Thanks!

This is a Port Canaveral thread. Ft Lauderdale is a couple hundred miles south of here.

As much as I would like to go through each & every post.... :rolleyes:

My boyfriend & I are cruising on Carnival Dream in October. We have our flights booked, I'm going to book Radisson At the Port for the night before & Clarion Maingate in Kissimmee for the night after. We are going to rent a car at MCO to get to Cape Canaveral & then rent a car in Cape Canaveral to get to Orlando.

Any suggestions on which company to use.

Originally I was going to book with Hertz, but it is saying cars are unavailable for 10/7. :confused:

I'm looking at Budget now & they seem pretty decent.

It would be a plus for the rental company to have a shuttle to & from the port. Although I am kind of impatient & hate waiting for shuttles to fill up, so taking a cab would be okay too. hehe

Suggestions/past experiences welcome! :o

My boyfriend & I are cruising on Carnival Dream in October. We have our flights booked, I'm going to book Radisson At the Port for the night before & Clarion Maingate in Kissimmee for the night after. We are going to rent a car at MCO to get to Cape Canaveral & then rent a car in Cape Canaveral to get to Orlando.

Originally I was going to book with Hertz, but it is saying cars are unavailable for 10/7. :confused:

It would be a plus for the rental company to have a shuttle to & from the port. Although I am kind of impatient & hate waiting for shuttles to fill up, so taking a cab would be okay too. hehe

We booked Budget and got a good price if you look around for a coupon code. I wasn't too high on sailing out of Port Canaveral at first, but it couldn't have been easier. We also stayed at the Radisson the night before and dropping off the car the morning of the cruise is simple and the shuttle fills up quickly.

Same for getting off the cruise, the shuttle is sitting there waiting for people and it fills up quickly.

I also should add I recently returned to Port Canaveral because I was traveling in the area and had dinner at Grills. The food was better than I remembered and a Carnival cruise left port while I was there. I'd recomened it to anyone looking for a dinner spot the night before their cruise!

Budget, Avis, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar and Enterprise are all here and close by!

Shirley, thanks for the info. Will check out that site. I'm sure we will find alot to keep us busy.

As to my footnote on veterans - my son enlisted in the Navy submarine program 6 years ago. I ran across that quote and have never forgot it. I felt this was the place to put it so that every time I'm here planning a cruise it reminds me why I have that freedom and the people that lost their lives for us to have it.

Debbie

Hello Debbie,

thanks so much for sharing - my grandson, nephew and Godson are now serving in Afghanistan and I love the saying

I also wanted to mention that if anyone is driving anywhere in this area, to watch out for those traffic lights cameras - I know someone that got the summon in the mail with picture and price ticket of $158.00.

Have a great time on your cruise

Edited by snelsonbrown

Does anyone have a good suggestion on where to watch the shuttle lift off? Will be in port canaveral for 3 days prior to our cruise.Thanks for all the excellant info that you have provided on this thread.

There is no bad place but I like Jetty Park.

Shirley/Preston,

We are staying at the CI&S in August. Would we have access to the Radison local shuttle since they are sister properties?

Jon

Hello Jon,

Drop Bud a note since he is the gm for CI&S and he will let you know for sure, but I agreed with psbcap but Bud can confirm it one way or the other

good luck

bud.burch@countryinns.com