Teenager being alone concern?

HI

We are due to cruise in less than 3 months for DD's 16th birthday. I am a bit concerned about her being on her own and struggling to make friends. The last time we cruised as a family we had DS with us and they pretty much hung out together and at teens club but this time she is on her own as DS is staying home.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice about this as I am worried about her being alone (and not just friendship side) if you get what i mean!!

Thanks

Rach

Hi Rach,

The best advice I can give you is to make sure she goes to the teen club on the very first day. If she leaves it for a few days into the cruise, the kids have already made their friendship groups and then it's harder to join in, especially if she's the quiet type.

Also, if you have a roll call for your cruise, make sure you get on there and talk to others that are going on the same cruise. There will most likely be teens the same age and she may even be able to form a friendship before you leave.

Hope this helps, lets know how you get on, good luck :)

Jodie

My teen girl (16) is quite shy but always has a good time at the teen club I take her on the first day...as for other concerns..well it depends on the young person.

Kids can be vulnerable in many situations at this age provided you have confidence in her (i.e. she is not likely to be influenced to do anything against your rules) and she knows where to find you I dont think a cruise is any more dangerous than them out anywhere else, quite the opposite..

We travelled last year with my 14 year old. I made the big mistake of not taking her to the teen club on the first night and then by the time she got the courage to go she didn't fit in and she hung around us the whole 2 weeks (which was fine and she still had a great time). We are going on another cruise in October this year and this time she's taking a friend (only because she's painfully shy). So I definitely recommend that you take your daughter to the teen club on the first night.

Archived