Anyone been to Morne Rouge Beach in Grenada?

pcumberl

Morne Rouge beach is in fine shape which is more than can be said of the beach restaurant/bar which had its roof mashed- it is currently under repair and in the meantime Gems Beach Resort have set up a facility in another beach front building as a temporary measure.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

We will be in Grenada Nov. 2006 but only have from about 9:30am to 2:30pm. With this little time for what looks like such a beautiful and bountiful island what would each of you recommend as a perfect day of touring?

We have rented a car. How much of the island can we cover in 2/3 of a day?

Hi All,

We will be in Grenada Nov. 2006 but only have from about 9:30am to 2:30pm. With this little time for what looks like such a beautiful and bountiful island what would each of you recommend as a perfect day of touring?

We have rented a car. How much of the island can we cover in 2/3 of a day?

For such a short visit you will have to prioritise the type of place you wish to visit as it is no where near enough time to see all of Grenada's sights.

If you post an idea of your main interests I will see what I can suggest.

Just a word about driving, Grenada has very few road signs so you will need to arm yourself with a good map. Also the roads are very hilly so it often takes longer to get from one place to another than you would expect.

As a matter of interest which car rental company do you plan to use?

Denboy,

Thanks for your response.

We have a reservation with Avis for a 4WD Mitsubishi.

I would love to see the two top beaches with not long stays and maybe a waterfall that you can swim in. But if you have suggestions I would really like to hear about them. These stops with a cruise don't give you time to experience an island...... just to get a quick glimpse.

I think someone said they used all the Burger Kings as land marks to find their way around.

I reserved the car but haven't made up our minds to try for a tour or keep the car. On most islands there is a circle road that hits most of the majors beaches and maybe a restaurant along the way. That is what we have done in the past using a local map to stay on track. Can you circle the island in a day?

Denboy,

Thanks for your response.

We have a reservation with Avis for a 4WD Mitsubishi.

I would love to see the two top beaches with not long stays and maybe a waterfall that you can swim in. But if you have suggestions I would really like to hear about them. These stops with a cruise don't give you time to experience an island...... just to get a quick glimpse.

I think someone said they used all the Burger Kings as land marks to find their way around.

I reserved the car but haven't made up our minds to try for a tour or keep the car. On most islands there is a circle road that hits most of the majors beaches and maybe a restaurant along the way. That is what we have done in the past using a local map to stay on track. Can you circle the island in a day?

There are no Burger Kings or Macdonalds in Grenada so that must refer to another island. I think you would be pushed to circle the island in a day- you certainly would have no time left to make any stops. Bearing in mind the roads a 4WD is a good choice.

The best beach is Grand Anse which is only a 5 minute drive from St. George's, a 2 mile stretch of white sand.There are many other good beaches such as Morne Rouge in the next bay or Pink Gin out towards the airport.

In the time you have available you could drive up the west coast towards Gouyave and stop at either the Annandale or Concord Falls both of which allow the opportunity to have a swim though the water tends to be a bit cold (or at least I think so). Also driving up the coast you will pass the Dougaldston Estate which is one of the oldest surviving in the Caribbean and offers an opportunity to buy some spices at a fraction of the price you would pay elsewhere.

If you plan to try one of the local restaurants it is my view that you would have insufficient time to do much more than the above.

NB:To drive in Grenada you need to obtain a local driving permit which costs $12US

Denboy,

You're right I must have the islands mixed up. I read most of them on the same day.

Thank you for this info I will file it with my touring info for when we arrive.

Also the license info. I had not seen that before for Grenada. St. Kitts also has one but they have other requirements too the bring the rental up to a rediculous price of $125 a day. Are there any other charges I should be aware of for Grenada?

You are connected to a lot of posting for Mandoo..... are you Mandoo?

Denboy,

You're right I must have the islands mixed up. I read most of them on the same day.

Thank you for this info I will file it with my touring info for when we arrive.

Also the license info. I had not seen that before for Grenada. St. Kitts also has one but they have other requirements too the bring the rental up to a rediculous price of $125 a day. Are there any other charges I should be aware of for Grenada?

You are connected to a lot of posting for Mandoo..... are you Mandoo?

No I am not Mandoo, do you think I would tell you about car hire if I was? As far as I know Mandoo does not visit this board although he is aware of it.

Anyway with car hire the only other thing they make offer you is CDW but you may find this is covered by your credit card provider so I would check that before your visit otherwise there are no additional charges.

I would expect the rate for one days hire to be in the order of $65/70USplus the license at $12US so somewhat cheaper than in St.Kitts

Denboy,

I found out about this board from a tour operator in Costa Rica. We had a wonderful tour and I was only too happy to share our experience with others on the board. I find that people who love their country are happily operating tours or may also give advice which ever is asked for. Sorry, didn't mean any harm by the question. I was actually thinking that maybe with everything taken into consideration that maybe we should take a tour.

Thanks so much for your help. You have been great in sharing your knowledge and experience.

Denboy,

I found out about this board from a tour operator in Costa Rica. We had a wonderful tour and I was only too happy to share our experience with others on the board. I find that people who love their country are happily operating tours or may also give advice which ever is asked for. Sorry, didn't mean any harm by the question. I was actually thinking that maybe with everything taken into consideration that maybe we should take a tour.

Thanks so much for your help. You have been great in sharing your knowledge and experience.

No I wasn't offended, just amused but they don't have a big enough range of smilies on here to convey that.

There is a lot to be said for taking a tour rather than driving on such a short visit, as a passenger you are able to look round and take in the views which is impossible to do while you are driving plus a good tour operator can impart a lot of knowledge which would otherwise be difficult to find and to add colour to the scene if you know what I mean.

Archived