Suggestions for car service Harwick to London

Any suggestions for car service:

Heathrow & London (2 stops) to Harwich 24 June (mid morning)

Will a car service pick up at a hotel near airport then go to a London hotel (Royal Garden Hotel). We are two different families trying to ride together.

Is this a doable plan? Trying to save money on car service.

Harwich to London (Victoria Station area hotels) 6 July (am)

Anyone using a particular company? Please give us email addresses.

At this time we do not want to use the train (traveling with kids & bum knee):o

Thanks,

At this time we do not want to use the train (traveling with kids & bum knee)
I would have thought that, if anything, having children and a bum knee would be arguments for the train, rather than against. It would almost certainly be more comfortable, and you and the children would have much more space than when cooped up in a car, with the chance to get up, move around and stretch when needed. Cars are very cramped in comparison.

I suffered from painful knees and ankles for quite a lot of last year, and I would certainly have preferred the train on that account alone.

:D I guess people in our group rather not "think" about getting to Harwich & rather relax & sleep in the van while traveling.:p

verses lugging your gear around, and figuring the trains & schedule. We did A car service in Italy (Rome to Almafi coast & back). Yes, while extremely expensive we save money on flight ( frequent m), hotel (using Disney & Hilton pts). Plus, it's like having personal tour guide for a few hours. So when you're not paying for airfare & hotel having a car service fits the budget. ;)

Try Woodford Chauffeur Cars. We have used them for years to and from the airports, to and from the ports, and to and from London hotels. They are very reliable and flexible and are family owned. Drop Cheryl Finch an email for a price quote: cherylfinch4@aol.co.uk and just let her know your itinerary. They have everything from cars to minivans, buses, etc. for your comfort.

I think it's hard for most North Americans, used to the car being king, to fathom just how easy and extensive public transportation is in the UK. There are times where you will want to splurge for a cab or car service - your LHR-Victoria Station transfer, for instance, while possible by Tube, I would probably just get a couple of cabs, unless you can find a service which will provide a van.

However, for the trip to Harwich, the simplest way would be to take a taxi to Liverpool Street Station, then the train to Harwich International: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Harwich+International&sll=51.947714,1.255558&sspn=0.001425,0.003428&ie=UTF8&radius=0.07&rq=1&ev=zi&t=k&hq=Harwich+International&hnear=&ll=51.947757,1.255558&spn=0.001342,0.003428&z=18 l , neither of which requiring advanced booking or much forethought.

Just checked the schedule for a random weekday in February (schedule not published yet for July), and there seems to be trains from Liverpool Street to Harwich International at 18 minutes past every hour. Never been to Liverpool Street, but most major railway stations in London have luggage carts. The most complicated part of the process will be finding your platform, but as signage in the UK is excellent, this should be very straightforward.

I guess people in our group rather not "think" about getting to Harwich & rather relax & sleep in the van while traveling.
There are certainly some reasons in favour of using a road transfer. But relaxing in comfort won't be one of them. The point is that on that score you will be better off on the train.

There are certainly some reasons in favour of using a road transfer. But relaxing in comfort won't be one of them. The point is that on that score you will be better off on the train.

I always enjoy and agree with your posts. However, our car service transfers have always been in total comfort. They even help you with the luggage and provide upscale cars or minivans in our case. We have taken the trains to various places outside of London and I really would not consider that very comfortable. More like functional.

I can't agree,

A Mercedes Viano will swallow both families with lots of luggage and transport them door to door in air conditioned comfort with reclining seats.

They also have the option to stop off if there is something of interest along the way.

I use bookings@jb-chauffeurs.com in and around London.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Might try a combination of both train & car service.

Tally, I will email Cheryl.

I have used Woodford to go from London (both airports to pick up fellow travelers) to Southampton and back. they also gave us a one day tour. Very reasonable and wonderful people. Cheryl is the best of people and we are using them again this July from airport to hotel and day of touring and possibly a second day of touring and then hotel to Harwich. I would go no other route. They are terrific! Tell her Joyce from Florida says hello. Just emailed back and forth today.

Joyce

I can't agree,

A Mercedes Viano will swallow both families with lots of luggage and transport them door to door in air conditioned comfort with reclining seats.

They also have the option to stop off if there is something of interest along the way.

I use bookings@jb-chauffeurs.com in and around London.

I disagree, the British Rail system is very good, very comfortable, air conditioned etc etc

train.JPG

That's a southern line train from Gatwick to Southampton in 2nd class, but you get the idea.

Yes I get the idea,but no thanks.

The OP did say that they did not want to use the train.

The picture is a great help in showing the OP why the train might be better than a car for someone with "kids and a bum knee": more room to get up, move around and stretch.

The picture is a great help in showing the OP why the train might be better than a car for someone with "kids and a bum knee": more room to get up, move around and stretch.

I suspect this discussions different takes are more a reflection on the different cultures of US and Europe more than anything. I'm sure if you just made the decision on facts in a scientific fashion the train wins the argument.

However, similarly I suspect that on something like is an automatic car better than a manual car the facts would show our American friends would have the edge, but nothing would persuade me personally to voluntarily choose a car with an automatic gearbox unless perhaps it was half the price.

A well worn phrase is that travel is a great education - I think the underlying sentiment here is that you begin to understand different cultures through travel and begin to understand that there are valid alternative viewpoints to your own culture.

Personally I find a lot of US culture strange and inferior to a European culture (guns, tipping, vested interest politics/democracy come to mind) but having visited there a lot I understand where they're coming from and respect that.

On that basis I would encourage people to at least try others cultures preferences, but perhaps with kids and dodgy knees this is a time to play safe and stick to what you know and are familiar with.

Hello! Thanks for all the help and info from everyone. The "dodgy" knee was funny too.:p Made me laugh.

I have lived in Germany for almost 4 years and have taken the rail/train numerous times. I guess when you travel for leisure and with family you want the easiest solution. It may cost more but we budget for it and it makes for a more lax travel itinerary for us!

But when I travel with girlfriends we do take the trains.;)

Archived