customs regulations

stormcastle

After a recent experience with customs as the end of a cruise, I did a little research. I found this on the customs' website (http://www.cbp.gov):

Tip: Register Items Before You Leave The United

States

If your laptop computer was made in Japan—for

instance—you might have to pay duty on it each time

you bring it back into the United States, unless you

could prove that you owned it before you left on your

trip . Documents that fully describe the item—such as

sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's apprais-

als—are acceptable forms of proof .

To make things easier, you can register certain items

with CBP before you depart— including watches, cam-

eras, laptop computers, firearms, and CD players—as

long as they have serial numbers or other unique,

permanent markings . Take the items to the nearest

CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration for

Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457) . It

shows that you had the items with you before leav-

ing the United States and all items listed on it will be

allowed duty-free entry . CBP officers must see the item

you are registering in order to certify the certificate of

registration . You can also register items with CBP at

the international airport from which you’re departing .

Keep the certificate for future trips.

Yes, this regulation has been around for years. Back when very few people carried laptops and we went to Asia a few times, I did have a receipt with me. Never asked. Since then we have taken maybe 20 Intl trips and cruises. Always have the laptop and never even been ASKED, and therefore never had to show any proof.

Never, ever heard of anyone that had a problem either. I really do not consider it an issue.

Yes, this regulation has been around for years. Back when very few people carried laptops and we went to Asia a few times, I did have a receipt with me. Never asked. Since then we have taken maybe 20 Intl trips and cruises. Always have the laptop and never even been ASKED, and therefore never had to show any proof.

Never, ever heard of anyone that had a problem either. I really do not consider it an issue.

Since nothing:D is made in the US anymore, that means to be completely safe that you would need to carry proof of pre-trip ownership for everything.

It's a regulation people should be aware of, but it's highly unlikely to be a problem unless you are carrying enough stuff that you look like an importer.

After a recent experience with customs as the end of a cruise, I did a little research. I found this on the customs' website

And now I -- of course -- am completely curious about your "experience" with customs. I'm sure others are too. Care to share if it is something that can help out your fellow travelers or would you rather keep to yourself?

And now I -- of course -- am completely curious about your "experience" with customs. I'm sure others are too. Care to share if it is something that can help out your fellow travelers or would you rather keep to yourself?

I don't mind sharing--in fact, I have already written about it. see my forum thread: Dawn western caribbean Jan 10-15 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124838

I am amazed that firearms are on the list. Can you imagine walking into a customs office with a gun and asking to register so you can carry it while traveling?

Good luck with that one. Although I could share an amusing story of carrying a firearm while traveling by air, but that was many years ago.

I don't mind sharing--in fact, I have already written about it. see my forum thread: Dawn western caribbean Jan 10-15 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124838

I just Read your post...Sounds to me like they had nothing better to do that morning though I have noticed that everything is becoming a little more stringent since the Christmas incident.

I would love to know how Customs knew the cigars were Cuban...There isn't exactly a Cuban cigar sniffing dog that can differentiate between real Cuban's and the knockoffs they sell in most ports - LOL

It looks like you just got picked at random. Good security does that from time to time.

for those interested, here is an excerpt from that posting:

"However, as we passed into the customs area, we were told we had to go into a room to the side. There we were questioned about our purchases and our luggage was searched. Although the customs officers were polite, they searched through everything--even opening my wallet to look at my money. Not sure what triggered the search of our luggage but we didn’t get through customs until 45 minutes later. I realize they are looking for contraband and we did see one fellow lose his Cuban cigars (which are illegal to bring in) and one woman was taken away in handcuffs. We had nothing illegal and nothing to hide but we wondered if we were picked simply because we were some of the first passengers off the ship. At one point, the officer asked for our receipts; we hadn’t kept them since the information we received from NCL about customs was that we needed to list all the items we purchased with the purchase price. We had thrown away the bags and receipts but declared the items we purchased. The officer even looked at my jewelry that I have been wearing for years as if it was contraband! We do wish NCL would make it clear that it is a good idea to keep receipts for items purchased on the cruise. But it made me feel as if I need to carry something showing what I owned before the cruise. Sheez! And when I looked at the customs officers trying to intimidate ordinary citizens, I kept wondering why they aren’t doing more productive work like searching incoming freight for major contraband, weapons, or terrorists. I don’t know what the cuban cigars were worth or what that woman had done to be arrested but I do know that the number of officers I saw working that morning was a huge government expenditure for very little return"

And now my political statement:

Are you sure you were not traveling with some little ole lady?

Archived