Ft Myers Restaurants - Drive to Miami

sesquius

We have a cruise booked from Miami for the 8th of February. Around December we realized that the super bowl was happening that weekend, which is why hotel prices were sky high. So we opted to drive down to the Fort Myers area and spend the weekend before driving over to Miami on Monday morning.

Is the drive between Fort Myers and Miami ok? I'm a bit paranoid about missing our cruise, esp when I see the road is straight across the everglades. My mind plays many scenarios, like a big pileup that traps up on the road with no side streets to send us safely on our way. Anyway.

Then as a bonus question....are there any good restaurants around the Fort Myers area? Ones that aren't terribly expensive, but neither are outrageous cheap (unless the quality and taste is there). Just good food for the money. :)

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

We made a similar decision last week! We disembarked from a eastern carribbean cruise in Miami on Sunday, Jan 24th and opted for the west coast as well for six extra nights. Just like you, we had been planning to stay in Miami last week, but even two weeks ahead of the Super Bowl, hotel prices were sky high!

On Sunday the 24th, we drove across I-75 to Fort Myers Beach. Drive across the Everglades is fine...four lanes all the way, straight and an easy drive (just make sure you have enough gas in the tank). I think the toll was $2.25. There really isn't anything between Sunrise and Naples, but the drive is easy. We spent six nights in a rented condo. Nice, small community, beautiful beach. Only down side was it was a little chilly for going in the ocean (to be expected in Jan), and Ft Myers Beach is quite a drive (30+mins) from good shopping and restaurant choices, which tend to be along US41 and near the airport.

There are some good places in Old Naples too, on Third Street and Fifth Avenue, which is right off US 41. My friends and I enjoyed good meals at Campielli's(not sure of the spelling) and Tommy Bahama's Caribbean Cafe a couple of weeks ago. If you like steak there is a place called Chops on 5th. It's fun to walk around that area too, lots of neat shops and restaurants.

Archived