Southampton by Rail. Help needed please.

leagle

It seems to make very good sense to take the train from London to Southampton on Monday the 2nd August for my transatlantic depature, but there is so much I don't know.

I think I saw on another post that the line between London and Southampton was partly closed for reconstruction. There was nothing about that on the Rail Planner. Did I misunderstand, or is it closed just on weekends?

Is Southampton Central the best station for getting to the docks?

Which dock?

How far is it from the train station to the relevant dock? How long does it take to get there?

Are taxis easy to get at the station or are there huge queues of people at the station trying to get to the QM2 also?

How do most Londoners get to the ship for embarkation?

I think I have read about a coach from Heathrow, but I live in the City so Waterloo Station is very convenient for me. However I have no idea about what happens at the other end.

Could CCers help, please?

Although it might cost a bit more at times, I always take the bus which Cunard runs on departure days. It leaves from the Victoria Motor Coach Station between 11 and noon, and deposits you right at the ship terminal in Southampton-- plus, your luggae is taken directly to the ship.

I have heard that one can travel cheaper from London to Southampton not using the Cunrad transfer, but I like to know that once I have checked in with the Cunard rep at the Motor Coach Station (about two blocks from Victoria Train Station), I am home free and in Cunard's hands for the rest of my trip. Any extra which Cunard charges is worth the peace-of-mind to me.

Your travel agent should be able to arrange the transfer.

I can't help you with information about the rail line and construction but I do know that Southampton Central is the best station to use and the dock will only be about 15 minutes from the station. Taxis have always been plentiful. Your cruise documents will have the name of the dock from where you will be departing and all of the taxi drivers will definitely know from where the ship is leaving. The taxi drivers we have had keep a list of the ships that are in town and which dock they are using.

It seems to make very good sense to take the train from London to Southampton on Monday the 2nd August for my transatlantic depature, but there is so much I don't know.

I think I saw on another post that the line between London and Southampton was partly closed for reconstruction. There was nothing about that on the Rail Planner. Did I misunderstand, or is it closed just on weekends?

Is Southampton Central the best station for getting to the docks?

Which dock?

How far is it from the train station to the relevant dock? How long does it take to get there?

Are taxis easy to get at the station or are there huge queues of people at the station trying to get to the QM2 also?

How do most Londoners get to the ship for embarkation?

I think I have read about a coach from Heathrow, but I live in the City so Waterloo Station is very convenient for me. However I have no idea about what happens at the other end.

Could CCers help, please?

Leagle, I have found that the train to Southampton Central from Waterloo is the fastest, easiest way to get there. There is a taxi rank at the station. Cunard will tell you which of the four piers are being used for your cruise. They are five to fifteen minutes from the station. I am a not a real big guy but the train is much more comfortable for me than a bus seat, and its nice to be able to get up, use the facilities when necessary.

Southwest Trains has express service and the travel time is about 1 hour 20 minutes. I think there are a total of four trains most hours. We usually leave Waterloo about 10 am to arrive in Southampton at 11:30. Check in begins at 12 noon. for most cruises. So every thing works out well.

Best Cruising. Mike

The line was closed over the Christmas period, and was on reduced usage for a few weeks before that. As far as I know that is all over now - though there is always the chance of engineering works, especially at the weekend.

During the week they try to keep any disruption to the very early & very late trains

keep an eye on http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/engineeringworkland.aspx

for upcoming issues

Thank you all for your quick responses. I really appreciate the useful information.

I did check the rail planner before I posted, http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query,

for anyone who might be interested, and I could see that the trains ran with some frequency. I am used to weekend maintenance, but fortunately my ship leaves on a Monday afternoon.

Marc Thompson, I do appreciate the advantages of handing one's self over to Cunnard as early as possible and I am very pleased to know about the coach in case my luggage gets out of hand or Southwest trains decides to do some "urgent" work in August. However, from the City of London, on a week day, Waterloo is much handier than Victoria Coach Station. The Waterloo & City Line takes 6 minutes from Bank to Waterloo and, like Bigmike911, I find a train more comfortable than a coach. As I have some flights in the States and a flight home, I hope to have only carry-on luggage, which should be manageable.

Thank you so much for the help you all have given.

I realise I am worrying about this way ahead of time, but time has a way of rushing forward when my attention is elsewhere and I don't want to be searching for answers in late July.

Thank you for humouring me.

leagle

If you google megatrain you can usually find cheap tickets Waterloo-Southampton. I think they only become available within 2 or 3 months of travel date but you could put in a fictitious date to see what it comes up with. My daughter has purchased her ticket via megatrain and it was very cheap. Good luck.

Thanks, 2irisheyes,

I have a Freedom Pass which gives me free travel on the London underground and buses 24/7 and on overground trains after 9.30 am weekdays (& all weekend) in a fairly big circle around London. In addition, I buy an annual senior railcard which gives 1/3 off on overground travel anywhere in the country.

London treats its resident oldies well!

However, thank you for the reminder about buying a ticket in advance. I shall stop at a station in June to see about buying my ticket.

Anything to make the crossing feel closer and the time pass more quickly!

We used Cunard's bus on our first trip in '08 so as to turn ourselves and our luggage over to their custody at the earliest opportunity but as luck would have it there was stress involved anyway. We were there at the station early but the bus never got underway until about 2 hours past schedule. This made it a bit of a rush then we hit long lineups at the Southampton end. The ship will wait if you are on their bus. Our experience was probably unusual.

The second time we took the train and it was cheaper. Faster. We got there to the Central Station and there were lots of taxis. Just worked better for us that time. But there could have been a strike, or luggage lost, or the train breaks down, or there is construction.

Maybe next time will go down the night before and experience the city a bit.

leagle, megatrain tickets (for Southwest trains) are only available on the internet - not at stations. They can be as low as £1, £5 or £7. I know what you mean about the freedom pass. It is a great idea and I wish we had the same. I used to live within the freedom pass area but that was before it had been invented.

leagle, megatrain tickets (for Southwest trains) are only available on the internet - not at stations. They can be as low as £1, £5 or £7.

Non-advance purchase with the Senior travel card came to about £20, so even with the advance purchase discount, megatrain might be a good deal.

Thank you very much for the information! (And your persistance in the face of my intitial lack of interest)

Regards,

Delphine

Archived