A few questions

rfholcom

We just booked our cruise for July 20th, Carnival Spirit,obstructed view balcony on the port side. Traveling with an 8 and 7 year old boy. From what the picture, Carnival and the travel agent have said, the cabin we have is not obstructed except for the far left bottom corner. We have the first balcony that is considered obstructed. Looks like a great location in the center of the ship. Does anyone have any confirmation of the view? Also, looking at shore excursions. I have sent an email to Captain Larry and I know I want to do this. How good is the Taku Glacier Lodge excursion? Is it worth $600.00 for 4? What about the White Pass RR and Trail Camp Adventures? Should I rent the car and only go as far as the Candian border? Or should I do the train ($400) and Trail Camp Adventure going to Liarsville? Is the train going to be boring for the kids? If I rent the car, how bad is the drive? I am a chicken going around bad mountain roads so will I have a nervous breakdown or are the roads not bad? What is there to do in Anchorage? Due to the when the frequent flyer miles were available, we will be in Anchorage for 4 full days prior to the cruise leaving. With the kids, what are some suggestions for these 4 days? Is it long enough to go to Denali? Will the kids be ok for the drive? There is an indoor water park in Anchorage that we could go to. Any other ideas? We will also have 2 days in Vancouver so suggestions for Vancouver are also appreciated. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for any advice.

Becky

Not sure 7 and 8 year old would fully appreciate Taku Glacier Lodge, but the trip is to die for and they could certainly enjoy hiking around the lodge and the plane trip to the Lodge! My husband and I would love to return if only for the absolutely delicious salmon. The view of the glacier is spectacular, and the plane trip to the glacier was wonderful. We enjoyed Liarsville for the frivolity. The boys should not be bored on the train trip. It is spectacular! I wouldn't rent a car because the train trip is such a treat.

Instead of the flight to Taku Lodge. perhaps consider a glacier helicopter landing instead? Only you can decide if you want the rail or drive? It is a well maintained 2 land road that has no hairpin turns etc. Going over the pass is wonderful scenery. But if your kids are train lovers- then that would be good too. :) Tough choices indeed. As for your interior question. You can get to Denali Park BUT strongly consider WHAT kind of kids you have (I know this sounds silly but hear me out) Will they be able to occupy themselves with game boys or take a portable DVD player??? (with plenty of extra batteries). Few kids this age are going to tolerate the bus ride into the park without some "distractions". :) Wildlife is usually distant- binoculars are necessary and few kids get excited over scenery. There is no way "OUT " on these buses except to get out on the side of the road, so think realistically. I have been on these buses MANY times and seldom see young children do well. Another option perhaps would be to overnight in Talkeetna and do some activies there. Concentrate on the Parks Highway options Anchorage- Talkeetna, Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirit Houses, Wasilla Sled Dog Museum, Musk Oxen farm- Palmer, Independence Mine. Potter's Marsh etc. Plenty to do in Anchorage request their visitor guide. http://www.anchorage.net

So there is no major drop offs on the road in Skagway? No points where I am going to be afraid of going over the edge? If not, I think we will rent the car instead of the train. We do have Captain Larry booked. We are not going to Denali. No hotel availability. Thanks for all the help. Any other advice would be great.

rfholcom - I've never had a problem getting a room at Denali even when I just show up with no reservations (though I don't recommend that). There are a lot of hotels - the big ones get block-booked by tour companies who then often cancel some or many rooms when their tours don't fill up. The smaller operations at least will certainly have rooms now. Although many don't have Web sites yet so shopping is tougher (unless you have a copy of The Milepost), here's 18 of them: http://www.explorenorth.com/hotels-ak-dp.html

Murray

Archived