Just off the Valor on 1/24

chukeee

We just returned from a WONDERFUL cruise on the Valor from Jan. 17-24. Now that I am getting all caught up, I will be posting a very LONG review.

In short, the trip was great from the time we left PA until the return. I am hoping to post photos (if I can figure out how) and info about the private tours we booked along with hotel info. and my perspective of everything about the ship. In all, I would book the same itenerary and ship again in a heartbeat!

I really wish we were going on the 7-11 cruise. I know some really wonderful people going on that same cruise. We're going on the 6-06 Valor sailing and really looking forward to that one too.

Im going on the 7/11 cruise! But hey I AM pretty wonderful :p

I really wish we were going on the 7-11 cruise. I know some really wonderful people going on that same cruise. We're going on the 6-06 Valor sailing and really looking forward to that one too.

Too funny... For those who dont know, Sue2002 is my Mom! Of course we booked the same cruise just couldnt coordinate the dates... I think you are wonderful too Mom!! :D You, Dick and Cristian will have a great time in June on the cruise! I cant wait for you to come home with all of the details to share with us before we leave in July.

Siennagirl, You will LOVE the ship. Not as gaudy as some in the past. Our service was great. If you are doing the same itenerary (Coz. Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan), I can give you great tour info. (I booked everything privately.)

dkb363: Unfortunately my answer to your question is one of the very few negatives about the cruise. We did go to the piano bar and Larry is AWFUL. No one was there and those that did come, walked out in the middle of the first song. I even wrote about him on the comment card.

More coming soon, I promise.

dkb363: Unfortunately my answer to your question is one of the very few negatives about the cruise. We did go to the piano bar and Larry is AWFUL. No one was there and those that did come, walked out in the middle of the first song. I even wrote about him on the comment card.

More coming soon, I promise.

Thanks for your answer. He was on our last cruise and I didn't really like him. Was hoping things might have changed. But maybe your comment card will be read and problem addressed before we leave end of March.

Ok folks, let's get this party started! I am ready to begin the review. However, I haven't figured out the picture thing so bear with me when we get to those parts.

A little history, I am a 55 yr. old (celebrated birthday while on the cruise) traveling with dh (56) dd (34) dd's boyfriend (22.....don't ask) and gd (17) along with 46 other friends ranging in age from 20-70+. We are from north-central Pa. (Williamsport area) This is our 4th cruise, but most of the group has cruised much longer.

So far, we have been on the Pride, Miracle, Triumph and now the Valor. I will compare the ships later.

Traveling from NE PA in January is a roll of the dice so we always fly the day before the cruise. We had a flight from Baltimore to Miami on Sat., Jan. 16 at 8 am. With a flight so early, 7 of us decided to drive to Baltimore on Fri. and stay in a park, sleep, fly hotel for the night. The hotel we chose for this was the Ramada Inn BWI Airport/Arundel Mills Mall.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good night's sleep, safe place to park your car for the week, EARLY continental breakfast and efficient shuttle to and from the airport. Two of our friends went earlier in the day and enjoyed walking around the mall which wasn't far from the hotel and was enormous compared to our mall at home.

I booked this hotel from the website that advertises park, sleep, fly (can I post websites here?). I booked 2 rooms and the total was 201.61. Please keep in mind this included parking for the week and shuttle to and from the airport. I was very pleased with the overall experience and the room was clean and quiet, which was the most important for me for 1 night. They did have a small continental breakfast that was out early (I'd say by 4-430 am).

Told you this would be long:o

Now a word about the Baltimore airport...............I have flown from here twice in addition to Phila., Harrisburg, and Williamsport. Obviously, I perfer Williamsport since it is 8 miles from my home, but it is too costly when taking more than 2 people. Harrisburg is the next closest for us, but again, was more expensive this time when booking for 5. I HATE Phila! Both times we have flown from Baltimore, I liked the experience. Employees are not rude, it is easy to navigate, clean, and lines move quickly and efficiently. With a little over 3 hrs. ride from home, it will probably be high on my list for future flights.

Sat., Jan 16.

We departed the hotel in Baltimore for the Baltimore airport at 5:45 for our flight to Atlanta,Georgia and then to Miami. Check in was very speedy. Our flight was scheduled for 8:05 and we actually left 10 min. early. :) This was a good start to a great vacation! We flew on Delta with one stop and on our return flight it was non-stop on American airlines. We booked our airfare in May and were fully prepared to pay the $20 first checked bag fee. When we were checking in, the man said "Well, you don't have to pay the fee because of your status so that saved you some money." We all exchanged glances like "What status?" since we had never even flown Delta before. I'm still not sure what that was all about?!? Anyhow, the flight was uneventful and the switch in Atlanta went smoothly. We arrived in warm, beautiful Miami by 2:30.

Now, I am not a big fan of the Miami airport. It is way to big and crowded for a country bumpkin like me. Also, no offense to anyone, but shouldn't the first announcements in an AMERICAN airport be in english? Anyhow, it did not really concern us so we headed to pick up the luggage. Now, I am not sure why this takes so long in Miami, but it does. It is as if they send the luggage on a different plane and then can't find anyone who wants to unload it once it gets to Miami. Finally, out comes the luggage and we are on our way......well sort of. Two pieces of our friends luggage was ripped during the flight. Another thing that bugs me..... how can they damage luggage at the alarming rate that they do? Several other pieces had "bumps and bruises" but not serious. I went to the Delta desk with my friend to show them the damage. I have had luggage destroyed by USAir and they bent over backward to replace my suitcase and even apologized because they couldn't replace it with the exact same color. Delta, on the other hand said they couldn't replace it or repair it and told him the best they could do was to offer him 2 $50 credits on a future flight with Delta. Now my friend and I (after years of working in a State prison) can argue and debate with the best of them, but both were in vacation mode so he took the flight credits and put that behind us. More about Delta later.

We will be on the Valor 6-27. Can't wait to see your review.

DisneyCrazy123 we'll be on the cruise with you in June. Join our Roll Call.

Bumbles is it cold enough for you?

Thank you OP. Looking foward to your review. Haven't sailed Carnival in a very long time. I hope you figure out the photos!

Oh, I hope Larry is either replaced or improves!

Ok, so we get to Miami right on time (2:30) and with most everything going as smoothly as possible so far. I know you all are probably sick of all my details, but when I read a review, I like info. on flights, airports, hotels, shuttles, etc. No worries..... I will get you to the ship soon:D

When I was looking for a hotel in Miami for the night before the cruise< i read alot of info. on these boards. i was booking seven rooms and we had numerous requests so I booked in the group section of hotel planners dot com. Over the past 6 months they would send me bids submitted from various hotels in the Miami area with the ammeneties we were asking for. (This is for the newbies that may not know, so you veterans please disregard). I submitted what we were looking for and the price range we were willing to pay and the hotels would respond if they were available and with the rates. I must add that we were booking one night over a long weekend so many of them were not available.

We had one couple who were driving from PA and were interested in parking for the week. We were all interested in a nice, clean, quiet place, with restaurants within safe walking distance, a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and one to the port in the morning, a contenental breakfast, and possibly shopping center and liquor store nearby. I decided on the Hyatt Place/Miami Airport West/Doral and I am SO glad we did! I read mixed reviews on these boards and many suggestions not to book the airport hotels. After talking with the director of sales and asking a million questions, plus reading many reviews, I booked and it is probably one of the nicest hotel experiences I have ever had. I am not a hotel snob, but tend to book fairly nice hotels. Cleanliness is a MUST. Safe area is a MUST. Shuttles, breakfasts, etc. are secondary. Well this hotel went above and beyond in most every area. The rooms are suites with a seperate living area including a sofa that opens into a bed, with a small kitchen area with microwave, sink, fridge and desk area. The bedroom area is seperated with a half/wall partition and, in our case (granddaughter stayed with us) had two doulbe beds. This mattress topper and bedding was awesome! (Our friends even inquired at the desk as to where they could purchase it and said it was the best they had ever had) Off of the bedroom was a bathroom with toilet, tub, shower (GREAT water pressure) with the sinks and mirrors outside of the bathroom area. There was a flat screen tv that was probably 40-45 in. that was fabulous.

I just wanted to add that I stayed in this same hotel in Oct 2008 and could not say enough great things about it. The Hyatt Place was amazing. Super clean, super nice people, great breakfast set up.

Our room was a 2 bedroom suite since we had another couple with us and the rate had even dropped when we got there and they automatically gave me the better rate for our stay.

Also, they had great parking area security. our friends never had to worry about their car being taken while on the cruise.

Archived