Copan Full day Shorex

glanders

Has anyone done this 12 hour tour in Puerto Cortes, Honduras? I am curious about the amount of time on the bus each way and the actual amount of time on site. I have seen on other travel sites where they thought Copan could not be done in a day due to the distance without helicopter or plane transportation. I have done long tours before - all-day Normandy beaches, Kohunlich Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya - so I am not averse to long tours, just curious about bus time vs. site time. Thanks.

A few years ago we did a similar tour to Copan -- from Guatemala -- we had to fly in -- that was really somthing!! And it was from 7 AM until nearly 5 PM.

I can't imagine doing it from Honduras -- you will be spending a lot longer on the bus than we did!!

And for the little time we actually were there -- and the price wa really steep -- plane -- I would never sign up for another one again.

Plus -- after we had lunch -- there was only a few shops to tour -- in the hot sun with very little shade.

Glanders.......... We did this HAL excursion on one of their Christmas & NY sailings quite a few years ago from the same Port and from what I can remember, it was at least a three hour drive to the site with roughly a three hour stay at the ruins and then again back. The trip was very worthwhile, when compared to Tikal, Copan is much smaller and easy to navigate because the grounds are quite flat. They served a very nice lunch with entertanment by monkeys and there also is a good museum.

• 7 months later...

Jasl and Glanders,

This thread is rather old, but I am writing in hopes that at least one of you will see it. Would you say the trip is shorter than the published 12 hours? If the drive from Puerto Cortes to Copán is 3 hours, did you spend 6 full hours at the ruins site?

I am mostly likely going to do this excursion, but just hope that there is a good chunk of time in Copán - to justify the long ride to and from the port.

Thanks!

Archived