Amalfi Coast [Positano] or Capri?

islandmandan

Our group has narrowed down our tour choices to two, while we are in Naples port for a day in September. Should we do Pompeii/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast[Positano] or Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri ? Both tours are offered by romeinlimo. Any input or advise would be much appreciated, thanks Danny

Our group has narrowed down our tour choices to two, while we are in Naples port for a day in September. Should we do Pompeii/Sorrento/Amalfi Coast[Positano] or Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri ? Both tours are offered by romeinlimo. Any input or advise would be much appreciated, thanks Danny

All depends on your interest, you did good choosing RIL.

We did Pompeii to Amalfi coast including Amalfi and around to Ravello. The path to Positano was closed / under contstruction. actually a good thing. With that route cut it allowed us time to go all the way to Ravellow but still amounted to a very long day. Unless you have a 7am to 7pm and perfect traffic I'm biased to a trip that does Pompeii ( get there right at opening ) then around thru Ravello the views are to die for there. I don't think its possible to stretch that all the way and also include Positano and Sorrento unless you are out of the summer peak season.

I would think the Sorrento / Capri they would give you a dscount of some sort as lot less driving and time with them in the car. A couple that did tour share with us in several other ports did Capr/Sorrenton DIY and enjoyed it as well, all depends on your interest.

Enjoy

We've been to Positano, Capri, and Sorrento. Regarding Positano and Capri, each one has its own beauty. Positano has those houses stacked up that offers beautiful sights. Climb up the area and you'll see picturesque sights. There is a lot of uphill and downhill walking. A lot of interesting stores, albeit expensive. Restaurants are great, but a tad pricey. But if you are only there for a day, it won't matter that much.

Capris is beautiful too. There's a park somewhere near the top -- view awesome. The funicular /tram ride to the top was fun. There's stores, but I thought Positano had more variety and more local products. If I were you, since you have limited time, I would choose Positano. As one person stated, you will have to wait to hop on a ferry, then go to Capris.

Either way, you will make the right decision. The Amalfi Coast is beautiful!! Place I'd go back again.

If you only hav one day than stay off Capri to much time in travel. Capri really needs a day by itself and this gives you something to travel back to. Sorrento is lovely and a whole day can be spent there and the Amalfi or Positano touristy and beautiful

We did Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano, and that was already a bit rushed. As others have said, doing Capri involves a significant amount of time ferrying and that is valuable touring time. If you must see Capri, I suggest skipping Pompeii and focusing just on Sorrento and Capri for a day.

We were having the same delimma in our group. My husband and I spent a week on a land vacation in Sorrento a few years ago and went down the Amalfi Coast as well as the ferry to Capri. Our group has decided to do Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. If you take the hydrofoil instead of the ferry you will cut your travel time in half. It will be a full day no matter what, so do what is most important to you and save the other for your next trip:D

In my opinion Pompeii is a must see! And the amalfi coast is incredible too. You are on a boat from the cruise but it's different riding on the top of a hydrofoil past little mediterranean islands. I love boating so I think thats worth it. Not sure if Pompeii and Capri is doable but that would be my pick!!

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have a question for Illinitrvlr . If you have done both the Amalfi Coast [Positano] and Capri, which one do you prefer ? thanks again

I have a question for you: Are you on the May 2 Voyager of the Seas? With the ski group????? Just curious - I am on that cruise - and am having similar dilemnas.... I need someone to share my South of France tours. (And have booked the RIL Pompeii, sorrento, Amalfi)

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have a question for Illinitrvlr . If you have done both the Amalfi Coast [Positano] and Capri, which one do you prefer ? thanks again
I know you didn't ask me specifically, but having done both, I would spend more time in Positano/Amalfi coast over Capri. And that doesn't even factor in the ferry/transit time wasted getting to/from Capri. As someone else pointed out, taking the hydrofoil would save you time getting from Napoli to/from Sorrento, but due to the tight port day timetables, the hydrofoil often doesn't work out for a full-day excursion and you have already decided to use RIL so you're already committing to a land-based tour.

To do Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano is already a very tight and ambitious schedule--too much and too tight for most visitors. Remember your day will be almost half over by the time you are done with Pompeii and arrive in Sorrento. You will typically have a late lunch in either Sorrento or Positano. Also, you must remember that traffic along the Bay of Napoli and Amalfi coast can be bad and delays are common.

To substitute Capri for Positano will give you even less time to do anything. So IMHO, I recommend (in priority): Pompeii/Sorrento/Positano, Pompeii/Positano, Sorrento/Capri, Sorrento/Capri/Positano or Sorrento/Positano/Ravello, but not Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri. :)

They are both so wonderful that it is a VERY difficult choice:eek:

It is true that there is a lot of time taken with the ferry/hydrofoil, but there is also a lot of time on the drive to the Amalfi and and the traffic can be awful! That said, you can't go wrong with either one, but we have chosen to add Capri simply because my Mom heard me rave about it when we got back from our trip and she has wanted to go ever since. I know I'm not much help:p

Whatever you choose to do, you will have a great time! My main advise is to make sure you prioritize (and tell RIL) so that you don't get to Positano, for example, late in the afternoon and realize you only have 30 minutes to spend there before you have to head back to the ship! It's hard to go wrong with all the great things to see and do, but just remember you cannot do it all! :)

Our first time there, ship docked in Naples and we took ship's tour to Sorrento and Amalfi coast. Sorrento is wonderful....beautiful seaside town with excellent, well-priced shopping,( I bought a suede jacket and my wife bought purses) and the Amalfi coast is breathtaking. Next visit our ship docked in Sorrento (which we love ) and we took the hydrofoil to Capri on our own. We arrived in Capri and took the funicualr and little bus to Anacapri at the top. Frankly, I was a little disappointed in Capri. Although the views were beautiful, it was full of fancy designer shops....Prada, Gucci, etc. The same ones that you see in Paris, Rome, New York, Aspen, etc.

So I would recommend seeing the Amalfi coast first. We did it on a large bus, but with a private guide it should be even better.

My vote would be for Sorrento/Positano/Pompeii over Capri. I have done all these sites. Capri with the tram ride to Anacapri was beautiful but after walking around the gardens there was nothing much left except shopping. If you like shopping this may be your choice. Not sure if they still do rides in the Blue Grotto but IMHO not worth the price. Very short ride, granted it was beautiful, but they all had their hands out for tips. Noticed a few tourists did not tip and they wear almost 'tipped' off the boat. They want their tip before they help you onto the boat to take you back to Capri

Positano was beautiful, black sand beaches, lovely streets, amazing. If you can, go to Ravello, one of the best scenic vistas in the area.

Archived