Accessible options in Mexico

MsWitty1

I am traveling with a good friend who is in a scooter. She has CP so she can get in and out into seats, but can't do stairs. I want to have options for her to make her trip more enjoyable.

Does anyone have advice or experience in terms of tours in Mazatlan, Cabo, or PV? I have heard booking through the cruise line (HAL) is not always the best at they aren't always fully aware. Looking for either tour operators who can help, tours you have taken, or suggestions.

We are going in March on the Oosterdam. So excited!

Thanks

Angie

I can give you a few web sites to look at. I haven't personally tried an accessible tour but I have talked to people that have. It has been my experience that the cruise ships that stop in ports in Mexico don't offer wheelchair accessible tours.

First remember that Cabo is a tender port. You may or may not be able to take the tender.

In Mazatlan try Mazatlan Frank. He has a van that has a lift. His web site is http://www.mazatlan-frank.com

In Peurto Vallarta there is a company called Accessible Mexico. Web site is http://www.accesiblemexico.com/destinations.html

This should be a start for you. Good luck!

The last time we were on HAL they would not allow either scooters or power wheelchairs on their tender lift, although they would take a manual wheelchair of no more than 18" size (seat width), and you had to wait until the tender that accommodates the lift (last tender in the morning) was available. If it is rough (which it can be in Cabo) they will not allow you on the tender at all with a mobility disability.

We have used Accessible Mexico in PV a number of times with good success. They will take you where ever you want to go. I can recommend a tequila factor tour, shopping along the Malecon, and Mismoyola Beach Hotel. Be sure to make reservations with them right away as they can book up.

Scooters are not very practical ashore in Mexico. Cobblestones can be dangerous, and you will find few curb cuts or ramps to stores. Better to take a manual wheelchair ashore, and use the scooter on the ship. Don't take a "transport" chair.

Archived