Couple of ideas to save $$$

Just got back yesterday from a cruise on Carnivals Triumph out of New Orleans and managed not to have a heart attack when we got our sign and sail bill! Here's how: Yes, we did the rum-runners and they worked flawlessly. I even packed a six-pack of beer in another checked bag to see if would get detected (even if it did, it's just a six-pack, so I wouldn't be out much) and it got through fine. I also brought on two bottles of wine (allowed) and a six of Coke and a six of Sprite. You don't need to pack enough soft drinks for the whole trip as in Cozumel there are stores in walking distance of the ship you can replace them with half-way through the trip. We figured out that you also don't need to pack as much as you would think as there is a self-service laundry area on every floor, so you can leave more space for rum-runners or other liquids in your checked bag. We just ironed our formal attire rather than sending it out to be dry-cleaned. There is a "fun-farewell" the day before you leave the ship and that is a good party with free drinks! We did buy one formal picture and enjoyed the daily drink special with dinner. Other than that we would mix vodka with the really good lemonade they had everywhere onboard and enjoy that. Oh, BTW, if you want to bring on beer, it's best to buy Bud or Bud light in those skinny aluminum bottles they have as that is what Carnival has onboard. As it's already been mentioned, stay away from the pre-packaged cruiseline backed shore excursions. We took a cab to Paradise beach and for $12 a person got to snorkel and sea kayak and enjoy a great beach with good chairs and an umbrella and wonderful drinks and food for VERY moderate prices. Yes, you could just stay on the ship and save even more money but that gets a bit rediculous. We found the inside cabin to be just fine, and when it comes to debarking, the lower levels get off first, so we we're on our way in no time in the morning. In fact, by the time we were on the plane taking off, there were still people trying to get off the ship. I know you think you'd want to stay on as long as possible on the last day, but they don't let you stay in the room too long, and they just have one buffet line open. Believe me, you'll want to get off the ship and not have to wait in long lines to do it. However, by all means try to get on as early as possible on the date of sailing. We got there at eleven and it was no problem, no lines. Anyway, got 2 go, hope this helps someone. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back yesterday from a cruise on Carnivals Triumph out of New Orleans and managed not to have a heart attack when we got our sign and sail bill! Here's how: Yes, we did the rum-runners and they worked flawlessly. I even packed a six-pack of beer in another checked bag to see if would get detected (even if it did, it's just a six-pack, so I wouldn't be out much) and it got through fine. I also brought on two bottles of wine (allowed) and a six of Coke and a six of Sprite. You don't need to pack enough soft drinks for the whole trip as in Cozumel there are stores in walking distance of the ship you can replace them with half-way through the trip. We figured out that you also don't need to pack as much as you would think as there is a self-service laundry area on every floor, so you can leave more space for rum-runners or other liquids in your checked bag. We just ironed our formal attire rather than sending it out to be dry-cleaned. There is a "fun-farewell" the day before you leave the ship and that is a good party with free drinks! We did buy one formal picture and enjoyed the daily drink special with dinner. Other than that we would mix vodka with the really good lemonade they had everywhere onboard and enjoy that. Oh, BTW, if you want to bring on beer, it's best to buy Bud or Bud light in those skinny aluminum bottles they have as that is what Carnival has onboard. As it's already been mentioned, stay away from the pre-packaged cruiseline backed shore excursions. We took a cab to Paradise beach and for $12 a person got to snorkel and sea kayak and enjoy a great beach with good chairs and an umbrella and wonderful drinks and food for VERY moderate prices. Yes, you could just stay on the ship and save even more money but that gets a bit rediculous. We found the inside cabin to be just fine, and when it comes to debarking, the lower levels get off first, so we we're on our way in no time in the morning. In fact, by the time we were on the plane taking off, there were still people trying to get off the ship. I know you think you'd want to stay on as long as possible on the last day, but they don't let you stay in the room too long, and they just have one buffet line open. Believe me, you'll want to get off the ship and not have to wait in long lines to do it. However, by all means try to get on as early as possible on the date of sailing. We got there at eleven and it was no problem, no lines. Anyway, got 2 go, hope this helps someone. Cheers!

Wow how much did your suitcase weigh??? How did you pack the booze?

You don't have to worry about the weight of your luggage UNLESS you're flying to port! IT's the airlines that tweek your packing...not the ship! You can bring on as much and as heavy of luggage as you like to the ship. (Actually, I think it's 200 lbs per person...)

You don't have to worry about the weight of your luggage UNLESS you're flying to port! IT's the airlines that tweek your packing...not the ship! You can bring on as much and as heavy of luggage as you like to the ship. (Actually, I think it's 200 lbs per person...)

Hi,

We are just off the Carnival Pride's sailing of Jan 24th. Carnival has new rules about luggage. It's posted on their website. They don't want your luggage to weigh more than 50lbs, there is a size limit & ask that you only check in with no more than 2 bags pp. doesn't include carryons. Also, they are requiring the luggage to be unlocked. So their new rules are now similiar to the airlines.

Have a Wonderful cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Archived