Isla Margarita

crisp1

Good Afternoon Fellow Cruise Critics,

We are on the Feb.27/06 Empress of the Seas cruise out of San Juan and have just heard a rumour that the New Port In Margarita will be open very soon. Can someone shed some light on this and if this is true what will happen to those folks/market at the Port that would be closing down:confused:

The rumour that the new port in Porlamar will be opening soon has been around for longer than 3 years. The port has been finished for 2 years, but it just sits there. Oh, it's beautiful, but they keep on getting hung up on permits. The last I heard, from a guard that works there, is that they don't even have the permits, yet, to start on building the dock area. Everything else is built, but that. They have to still put the pillars in the water and go from there. That's just hearsay, though. They also have a problem with traffic in that area. This is their main problem. The government is basically putting the problem in the port's hands to take care of it. Where the port is is right downtown where all the major traffic is. The bus routes are there, so they already have a problem with traffic conjestion. If they open the port with the problem they already have then there will be total chaos. I guess the port has to figure something out, like enlarge the streets down there, and get a system going where traffic will run smoother. We haven't heard anything about the port opening up this year. We have a very famous saying here. "Hasta manana.", until tomorrow. The new port opening will really affect the "old" port in El Guamache to the point that it will probably stop tourism and just deal with cargo. Who wants to go to the old port when you can go to the new one? It's lots prettier and in a great location. I, personally, will probably stop working at this port when the new one opens up. It's a small sacrafice for us vendors, when it's such a great thing for the whole island.

By the way, you are going to be on a great ship. The Empress of the Seas comes into our port a lot. They were so empressed with the port last year, that they decided to sign on for this year, too. I have to say though, all the ships are just waiting for the new port to open. It's going to be a great port, and it's in a wonderful location. All you have to do is walk out of the port right into downtown Porlamar. That is the main city of the island. They have "walking streets" right there. They were 2 streets that you walk through that is nothing but shops after shops. They aren't the prettiest or fanciest, but I'm sure the city will have them spiffed up by the time the port opens. You can catch a public bus, or a cab and go anywhere on the island withing a few minutes.

But since you have been so honest with all of us I was wondering if you could assit me.

We visited your port this past January & I thought we would again this up coming January. Shame we are not. But Princess is taking the Sea Princess to Caracus instead.

Can you be of any assistance here?

Just thought I would ask.

John

Thank you Very Much for that information my Wife and I as well as my sister and Brother In Law are looking forward to Isla Margarita as well as the port have heard wonderful things about the Market, will probably spend our day around there. Also could you just indicate once again where you are situated so that when we arrive we would like to come visit your booth.

Thank you and Hope to See You in March 2006, watch for the Empress.

:o We will be visiting Isla Margarit in Dec, 2005. Any suggestions about tours? Which beach would be recommended: Near the port of El Guamacho or Playa El Agua? How far are each of these beaches from the port? Le Restinga National Park? Thanks!

But since you have been so honest with all of us I was wondering if you could assit me.

We visited your port this past January & I thought we would again this up coming January. Shame we are not. But Princess is taking the Sea Princess to Caracus instead.

Can you be of any assistance here?

Just thought I would ask.

John

No sorry. I've never been to the port in Caracas. I did hear that they had problems in the past with people going into town and getting robbed. From what I understand the problems were when the people went off on their own. Theft is a common problem there for everyone. Try hard to not look like a tourist, and tuck all jewelry and wallets into safe places. You should be fine. I also heard that they were working on the problem, so it should be better. The city is very big, so there will be lots of things to see. If you go with a tour group, then all should be safe. I would say that is the best bet. Don't let this keep you on the ship. There is so much to see there. Tax in Caracas is 14%, so keep that in mind when you are shopping.

Thank you Very Much for that information my Wife and I as well as my sister and Brother In Law are looking forward to Isla Margarita as well as the port have heard wonderful things about the Market, will probably spend our day around there. Also could you just indicate once again where you are situated so that when we arrive we would like to come visit your booth.

Thank you and Hope to See You in March 2006, watch for the Empress.

Thank you for the compliments. I try hard to not say where I am at, because I don't want to self promote. You know? But, since you asked, I will say that my mother and I are about third of the way down the main avenue. Listen for fluent enlgish with an american accent, and come say "Hello". I will be back in The States then, but my mother will still be there. She loves it when people stop to talk with her.

Shakespeare, No problem. I like helping out in any way I can. We have to be there an hour before the ship docks, so we'll all be ready when you get off the ship.

:o We will be visiting Isla Margarit in Dec, 2005. Any suggestions about tours? Which beach would be recommended: Near the port of El Guamacho or Playa El Agua? How far are each of these beaches from the port? Le Restinga National Park? Thanks!
There was another person who was asking about suggestions for bus and private tours. I tried to get information while I was at the port last time, but with no such luck. They all seem to just work through the ship. I, personally, think that the La Restings Tour would be great. It's so pretty there. If you want to go to another beach then I would suggest Playa El Agua. It's the prettiest. The beach at the port is nice, but there have been complaints about it, too. I've swam in it, and I think it's nice. It's shallow far out, and the water is calm. It's probably has the calmest water out of all the beaches. Playa El Agua has an undertow, sometimes, but it's not real rough. Some people like the Swim With the Dolphins Tour. If you are wanting to get out then I would suggest that you take a tour around the island to see it. If you are wanting to go to a beach, then I would suggest that you stay at the port. It takes 45 minutes to get to Playa El Agua, then another 45 minutes to get back. That's an awful lot of shopping time to waste. lol. Sorry. I don't mean to give a sales pitch. That's just my personal opinion. Maybe someone else has something else to suggest.

Kristina -

We will be on the Veendam early in November docking at El Guamache. When we were there in 2002, there were a couple of vendors right outside the security gates. Is this where you have your stall, or is it nearer the beach area?

We look forward to meeting you and your Mother.

Aloha Kristina - update - we will be there on Monday, 12/26/2005 - from 7am - 1:00 pm and look forward to dropping by to meet & chat! I will be the one shopping and snorkeling and running back to the ship to dump stuff off so that I can carry more! Mister Lucky and I look forward to seeing your beautiful island! :)

Kristina -

We will be on the Veendam early in November docking at El Guamache. When we were there in 2002, there were a couple of vendors right outside the security gates. Is this where you have your stall, or is it nearer the beach area?

We look forward to meeting you and your Mother.

Oh Wow! Things have changed since you were there. You are in for a treat. Those booths are no longer there. They moved the wall up some, and they put the booths down along that white wall that goes to the beach. That whole walkway/avenue is full of vendors, now. They took some away that were blocking the view of the ocean last year, so we now have close to 110-120 booths, plus 2 bars instead of 1. Jackie- Oh, you'll be THAT lady. I think I saw you last week, too. hee hee. That time is the same for us, too.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm confused; can someone please enlighten me re: Murano glass? How could it be sold here when it's made on the Island of Murano, near Venice????????:confused:
There are about 8 stores in the building out in front of the ship. All their items are not handmade. I said that I thought that one of the glass stores carried Murano, but I'm not sure on it. I don't know if he's even still there for this year. There is a lady who sells jewelry from Italy next door to the guy, and that's not from here. I take it that it might be imported. The truth is, that's common in alot of ports. That's why there are so many of the same things in each port. What we talk about being handmade locally is the items in the outside market. I hope that helps to clear things up. I can understand your confusion, though.

Hi

Just noticed that you are going to take the Coral repositioning cruise in 07.

If you haven't taken this before, you'll love it

We just got back from repostioning of the Coral--LA to FLL

We had a great Mini on the Dolphin Deck--turns out it's the best viewing for the canal--just luck--:)

Nancy

Aloha Seal - now I've got to get back and see whcih cabin we have....

I'd be interested to see what your opinion is of our stateroom location

Kristina - we are still looking forward to your Isla Margarita and ANY glass! We just came back from a Mexico trip today, at the airport I looked at lots of items before boarding to come home - decided to save my money for Isla Margarita = we are REALLY looking forward to it!:D

Klouised,

We are coming in November on the Golden Princess. My adult daughters and I were thinking of just taking a taxi to La Restinga on our own, so we can have time to brouse the shops there at the port. Is it far to the park? Is it safe for 4 women to go off on their own to do this? Are taxi's readily available? Please advise.

Pat

Klouised,

We are coming in November on the Golden Princess. My adult daughters and I were thinking of just taking a taxi to La Restinga on our own, so we can have time to brouse the shops there at the port. Is it far to the park? Is it safe for 4 women to go off on their own to do this? Are taxi's readily available? Please advise.

Pat

Ooh. An adventure on your own. What great fun! I don't think that it's a problem at all. It would help if one of you knew a little spanish, at least the basics, but it's not necessary. There are taxis right outside the gate. You have to walk down past the vendors to get there, and it's on the left. There is a man there who will direct you to a taxi. Talk to him. He speaks english. It wouldn't hurt to try to make a deal with him, since you all are just being dropped off. Also,there might be some way they can come back and pick you up, but that might raise your price too much. You will be paying more leaving the port than comming back to it. If they can't pick you up they may be able to tell you what to do to get a taxi back. La Restinga is about 30 minutes away. It's a pretty drive. You will be dropped off in the parking lot, and you'll need to pay at the cashier on the left of the entrance. Tell them you want to pay in dollars. I believe that there are taxis that stay there in the parking lot. It's far away from anything, so I think that they do have taxis. If there isn't one there,stop a worker and tell them "Necesito taxi al Guamache". They'll understand and help you out. Before you get in the taxi barter a price in dollars with the driver. It's expected. If you don't then the price might double by the time you get back to the port. lol. I can't tell you that it's safe, because if I did then something would happen. lol. But, I've lived here for 6 years, and all the taxi guys and gals were great. It's no more dangerous than taxis in The States. I actually feel safer with the ones here. The people are very helpful and gracious. Have lots of fun that day and good luck!

Archived