Isla Margarita

crisp1

Is there a lunch place to grab a bite by the beach or in shopping area?? Does any one sell beaded necklaces,neutral colors, twine? made for men or boys in any of the booths?
Hello, Stephanie. I'm glad to hear that you like the heat. I know that it's hard on alot of people. Yes, there is a place you can grab some food. Actually, there are 2 places. The first is a place on the first level of the large building that you see up front. Well, its really the only large building. You go through the turn stiles, go past the bathrooms and turn left into the resteraunt. It's not the best place to sit and eat, so I would suggest that, but the second place is a pretty place to sit at. It's an outiside grill. Walk alllllll the way to the end, where the saxophone guy is. There is a fork in the path, take to the right, and walk down past the aloa vera/massage lady, through the arches, to the bar. Right before the bar, on the left is a small stand that sells some local type foods. Now, granted, some of it is weird, like fried squid or octopus or something, but they have some normal type food, too. lol. I cannot get them to understand that most Americans don't like food like that, but they don't get it. This is a fishing island, and we eat lots of seafood. You can take your food over to the bar and watch the LIVE entertainment, and look over the ocean at beautiful scenery.

There are ALLLL kinds of beaded jewelry, in a variety of natural colors, and twine, too. You can even get a necklace with beads from a coconut shell. There are necklaces for men, not as many as for women, but still plenty.

Kristina

LOL Jackie. You are a kick! I sure wish I didn't miss you the day you were here. The chicken with it's head cut off is exactly like how I picture you that day. :D

Kristina,

Do the vendors take any credit cards (for larger purchases, say $25 and up)? or is it strictly cash? Small bills?

Please advise.

Renee

Hi Renee. Sorry to say, no the vendors do NOT accept credit cards. We get asked that all the time. They are trying to get that started, the port even gave us an opportunity to get them. The problem is that it costs too much to get a machine and keep it. The stores inside the building MIGHT accept credit cards, but, at this time, none of the vendors accept them. Some do accept traverlor's checks, but that is not as common as dollars. It doesn't matter if they are large bills. Someone might not be able to cash a $100 bill, but they have friends who will cash it for them. It's easier for us to get a $100 bill exchanged to our curriency than a $5 bill. Of course, you might want to start your shopping with $20, then during the day use your larger bills.

Kristina

Kristina,

I know that you have somewhat addressed this on an earlier post, but I was wondering if the boat to Cubagua is an actual sailboat/catamaran? Do you know anything about the island itself? Is the beach uncrowded, etc? Thanks so much!:)

Kristina,

I know that you have somewhat addressed this on an earlier post, but I was wondering if the boat to Cubagua is an actual sailboat/catamaran? Do you know anything about the island itself? Is the beach uncrowded, etc? Thanks so much!:)

I'm sorry, but this is all I know. I copied this from a previous response.

Let me see if I can help you. I have never been to either Coche or Cubagua Islands, but I have friends who have been there several times. Coche Island has hotels, nice beaches, quadrunners, water sports, entertainments, bars and such there. Lots of people from here and the mainland go there for the weekend. I know less about Cubagua Island, but from what I understand it is flat and deserted. You mainly walk up and down the beaches collecting shells. It's more of a nature trip. The beaches are just covered with shells. I see the Catamaran and the sailboat come in every morning. They both are very nice. The Catamaran goes to El Coche and is more of a party boat and is crowded but festive. The sailboat is smaller, but nice with a more relaxed atmosphere about it. I believe both boats offer drinks and snacks with the trip. I'm sorry I cannot give you more information about it than that, but I hope that helps.

Kristina

LoneStar72, I took the liberty of making a map out of one of your photos. I hope that is allright. Thanks for the photos. I could never get a great shot like that from the ship. This should help some people in better understanding where things are at the port when I talk about them. I'm never good at posting pics. They never show up, so I put a link below.

http://kristinaskrochet.50webs.com/portmap.JPG

Kristina

Ok. My website host is giving me fits, and won't let the picture show up, so I'll have to try something else.

Here's Kristina's map, based on my pic:

portmap22.jpg.4e493d22e39345d332d00d07227d53f5.jpg

BTW, she can't tell you, but I can -- her booth is about where the arrowhead is pointing to the vendor area under the thatched roof "along the white wall". I was going to say it was just to the right of the blue/white bus...

John

I'm sorry, but this is all I know. I copied this from a previous response.

Let me see if I can help you. I have never been to either Coche or Cubagua Islands, but I have friends who have been there several times. Coche Island has hotels, nice beaches, quadrunners, water sports, entertainments, bars and such there. Lots of people from here and the mainland go there for the weekend. I know less about Cubagua Island, but from what I understand it is flat and deserted. You mainly walk up and down the beaches collecting shells. It's more of a nature trip. The beaches are just covered with shells. I see the Catamaran and the sailboat come in every morning. They both are very nice. The Catamaran goes to El Coche and is more of a party boat and is crowded but festive. The sailboat is smaller, but nice with a more relaxed atmosphere about it. I believe both boats offer drinks and snacks with the trip. I'm sorry I cannot give you more information about it than that, but I hope that helps.

Kristina

Kristina,

Thanks for the help! My main concern was that the Cubagua trip wouldn't be on an actual sailboat... You'd think that someone would have reviewed this shore excursion by now. I'll definitely post my thoughts on it when we get back.

Thanks Again,

Toscana3

Hi,

We have just returned form Arcadia cruise.

On Isla de Margarita we had a fantastic full day tour with an American couple with an air conditioned Ford 4X4. They are a great couple and really love this island and will show you everything there is to see. They do not rush you, you are free to spend as long as you like wherever, take photos whenever, stop when you want. They will take you wherever you want to go. All at an extremely reasonable rate. Their contact is Marcella Tinsman at crusin_n_style98@yahoo.com

It really is a lovely island with lots to see, lots to do, lots to explore and discover. Fishing villages, mangrove swamps, beaches, low lying land covered in cactus, mountains, old traditional villages, big cities, old churches, forts, castles, pearls, monkeys, seahorses, lots of birds and much much more.

There is so much to see and discover on this island. It really is an island of contrasts - absolutely fascinating.

Here's Kristina's map, based on my pic:

[ATTACH]15853[/ATTACH]

BTW, she can't tell you, but I can -- her booth is about where the arrowhead is pointing to the vendor area under the thatched roof "along the white wall". I was going to say it was just to the right of the blue/white bus...

John

Ha ha. John, you're right. How funny!

Kristina

I just returned from 14 day Ryndam cruise including a day with Marcella and her husband Steve who gave us a wonderful tour of this beautiful island. I actually called from the ship after it arrived in port and luckily Marcella had the day open.

This is a BEAUTIFUL island--don't miss it. You can't tell from where you arrive in the port, so don't stay on the ship for the day thinking there isn't much to see. It is gorgeous--especially the beaches on the north coast.

Kristina--it was great to meet you and I appreciate your help in finding the walkway to reach Marcella and Steve. It is quite a hike but worth it. I am wearing the lovely amethyst necklace today that I purchased from you and have had lots of compliments. Thanks so much for your gracious welcome and assistance.

Kristina--it was great to meet you and I appreciate your help in finding the walkway to reach Marcella and Steve. It is quite a hike but worth it. I am wearing the lovely amethyst necklace today that I purchased from you and have had lots of compliments. Thanks so much for your gracious welcome and assistance.
I'm just glad that you found us, and I was able to help direct you. I can see how confusing it would be to find your way out of there without a map. The next day, I told Steve how you all enjoyed your day, and he got a big smile on his face. I'm glad you enjoy the necklace. It looks really nice on you. :D Thanks alot!!

Kristina

Kristina, I enjoy reading your posts and responses so much. We will be on The Golden and looking forward to meeting you. I think we are on IM March 29th. I hope you will be there as you have previously mentioned being away sometime during March, I think.

I have a questions regarding currency. I am assuming that we can use our American dollars as per RNAYs posts and your responses. Do you mark your wares in both your currency and US dollars or will we somehow need to convert from your crrency to ours?

Is there a beach right near by.(Within walking distance) I thought I might do some shopping and then meet DH at a beach for an hour or so. Thank you for all the help you have given to us about your Island.

I will be in Margariata Island on March 20th.

I tried to book a tour with Steve and Marcella but they are already booked for that day. We haven't seen any tours through our ship that sounded exciting, looking for any other suggestions or other tours like the one with Steve and Marcella.....

Northender, I'm sorry to say that I won't be here at that time, but my assistant and mother will be. I'm leaving in a couple of weeks, and won't be back for awhile. I'll try to stay on here answering questions, though. This is enjoyable for me.

Yes, dollars are used at the port. Not everyone wants to accept other currency or even travelors checks, because it is more difficult to exchange. There are some who accept Euros or Lbs, but I personally don't. Also, loose change is not accepted, so you can leave that back in your cabin. That will be less weight to carry around. We get people trying to pay with coins, and some don't understand that we cannot exchange them at our banks. It's a rule that we have each item clearly priced in dollars, so the price stays the same, instead of going up when a well dressed person walks up. (grin) I don't remember if I said this before, but I'll mention it now. It's no problem to ask for a better price, but don't be suprised if the vendor says no. Some tourists seem to take it as an insult if we don't go down at least a dollar. We don't mean to be insulting, but sometimes it's not possible to go down on the price. Many people price their items not much above cost. If you are there when it's busy, then you probably won't get to do much bartering. Bartering is more for the slow days. Vendors don't want to go down on a price if they will be selling out on their stock that day. You can try though. You might get lucky and get an even better deal on a busy day. People are usually willing to give a discount on quantity, but many times quantity is more than 2.

The beach is just past the second bar. You have to actually walk through the bar to get to it. There are 3 sections to the beach. If you don't like the first section then walk down the path in the trees to get around the corner to the other area. That's usually nicer, because the jet skiis and such kinda take over the first section.

The LIVE entertainment at the second bar is interesting and fun to watch, but the girl dancers have been taking things too far lately. They've been caught doing lap dances and such to the men watching, and many people get up to leave sometime during the show. The type of dance they do is very much a part of this country, but they do put a twist to it their version of folk dancing. lol. If you have children you probably wouldn't want to let them watch it.

I know I gave you more than what you asked for, but I talk about one thing and it brings to mind something else.

Kristina,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while. I'll also be on the Golden Priness on March 29 with a couple of the other people on this thread. I'm sad to see that I won't have a chance to meet you in person. I know my DW is excited to bring back some strands of pearls and chocolate bars.

Sounds like the beach is a happening place.:D Is there more to look forward to on the 3rd section of the beach? or is it the same as the second section?

Jumbo

I bought little pearl stud ear-rings for my daughter at La Ascunsion shopping complete (it's small) for £10. They had various colours of pearls, white, cream, pink and black.

I also bought a 'malformed' pearl at the Dock stalls. It was encased in silverwork and is a pendant (I bought the chain at home). It was $10 too, I think.

Considering this is what you pay for the shell/bead jewellery I think their prices are very reasonable

Is there more to look forward to on the 3rd section of the beach? or is it the same as the second section?
Hi Jumbo. The 3 sections of the beach are all the same, except the 1st section has more water traffic. There is no LIVE entertainment on the beaches, only at the bar, but you can get a massage.

Archived