Isla Margarita

crisp1

Hi- We were on this fabulous island 2 years ago. We are cruising to southern

caribbean in 2 weeks on r/c adventure of the seas and I'm very disappointed

we are not stopping there. It is probably my most favorite island so far.

We wanted to go to the other side of the island to the most gorgeous

beach anywhere.! Four of us found a guy at the pier who was with

OKAPI SAFARI's. Hans Van Pampus was his name. I kept his card...for when

we go back again. We were quite rushed,BUT it was about a 45 min drive

to the other side if I recall but it was so interesting to see the little towns

and the atmosphere of the island. It kinda reminded me of what Cuba

is like (from what pictures I've seen) and what Hawaii mustve been like

pre- tourism , construction etc. Also, all the cars were old American cars

from the 50's and 60's !!! It was just awesome- like a time warp. The beach was just unbeliveable. They (the tour guide and driver) waited there

while we swam and ate lunch. (we bought guide lunch too). They knew the

good restaurant where we just layed on the beach and the waiters brought

out menu's and beer !!! So we ate the best shrimp cocktail and just kept ordering it !!! It was sooooo inexpensive under $100 for the 4 of us eating

about 6-7 shrimp cocktails, about 8-10 drinks and lunch for the tour guy. his email is okapisafaris@hotmail.com. Also, the shops near the ship were the most awesome and best prices we came across. We too were on the Princess

many day many stop cruise. The only island we didnt really care for was St. Kitts. We loved Grenada and Isla Margarita. Probably our favorite two.

Have fun. We will be leaving in 2 weeks for Aruba/Curacao/St maarten and St Thomas. Less stops but longer port times 8-5:30 and 2 sea days. Hope someone enjoys this island as much as we did !!!! Jean

Kristina,

When are you away on your trip? We are on Sun Princess and visit there on 3/14.

The photos are helpful, but if someone who has been to Kristina's booth would give us exact directions, it would be helpful. After reading so much here, I want to be sure to visit.

We have been here before and went to the beach on the other side of the island. It was nice, but we didn't have much time on our return and didn't have much cash for shopping. There was a long line to board the ship at the time, too.

Hello Alice,

I'm sorry to say that I'll be gone after the 22nd of Feb. We have a busy week at the port next week, so my suitcases are already packed. You can stop by and say hello to my assistant, though. She likes to talk as much as I do. hee hee. Don't worry about finding the booth. It's pretty easy to find now. Just about every port day someone from cc stops by to say hello. You all are great!

It sounds like you went to Playa El Agua. It is a very nice beach, and it's one of my favorites, even though it's on the other side of the island. You do get to go through the pretty part of the island to get there. I do enjoy the ride, and you get a good sense of the island that way. Staying at the port will give you a different look at the island. Tourism hasn't been going strong long enough to change the people to be pushy, so shopping is pretty relaxing.

The island has passed a law to all people working in tourism that they have to take English classes and a tourism class. So, the country is taking tourism in their country very seriously. The classes will be starting up soon, so there should be more people speaking the basic english at the port next year.

So, I will miss you?? I will try to find the booth and say Hello to your Mom and the Assistant. Her name is?

We loved the beach and ride, but the vendors at the beach were aggressive. As long as you said NO!!!, they went away, but give an inch and you were in trouble We waited until we were ready to leave and then we looked at their wares. They had great knock offs, like sun glasses, etc. We stopped at a pearl store. The jewelry was beautiful, but like I said, I didn't have any money along. Husband loves to shop with me like that. I will bring cash this time.

Maybe you'll be there next time. Where do you visit for a holiday?

Kristina,

Your descriptions of Isla Margarita are intriguing. We will be making our first visit on the Golden Princess April 5th and are looking forward to the shopping especially at your site.

Hopefully you will be there then and we can thank you for all the great information you have posted.

We look forward to the visit to a new port.

Peggy and Jerry

Kristina,

Your descriptions of Isla Margarita are intriguing. We will be making our first visit on the Golden Princess April 5th and are looking forward to the shopping especially at your site.

Hopefully you will be there then and we can thank you for all the great information you have posted.

We look forward to the visit to a new port.

Peggy and Jerry

Hello Peggy and Jerry. Welcome! I hope you enjoy your visit very much. I'm not sure when I'll be back, but it probably won't be that soon. I'm sure you'll enjoy your day of shopping.

My mother's name is Louise and my assistant's name is Janelle.

We had a bit of confusion. I won't be there until

March 20th not Feb 20th. So I am sorry I will miss you but I won't forget your booth. I didn't mention this before but our daughters name is Jennele. Same name just a different spelling as your asst. She is 25 yrs old and lately I have noticed quite a few young girls named Janel, Janelle, Janell, Jenelle, and my pick Jennele. Anyway that little coincidence will make it easy to find your booth, sorry we will miss you. Hopefully your trip is for pleasure. Enjoy

I wasn't expecting very much from this island, but after being there (less than a week ago :D), I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the island was amazing. The smell was a bit much in places, but we soldiered through and had a wonderful and relaxing time touring the island and shopping the straw market. I had a question that I'm hoping someone can answer though - does anyone know the name of the beautiful little beach that was just off the pier in El Guache??:confused:

Hi Everyone!

I posted my question on the wrong board.

Is there anyone out there who has recently done the Dolphin Excursion??? I am trying to decide if it is worth $436 for me to take my kids. I understand the you are only in the water for about 20 - 30 minutes and that the groups are of about 30. Do you actually get to touch them?

I'd appreciate any help I can get.:confused:

Kristina, I will definitely come by your shop. You have been a wonderful advisor and even though you will not promote your shop (which is very admirable) I'd like to stop by and thank you personnally. I'll see you in March!

:D

It WAS short, but I just did this excursion last week and it was absolutely AMAZING! I would do it again in a minute. I've seen lots of negative posts about it, but the water was so deep, you couldn't touch - so I wouldn't worry about whatever droppings there may be. And the dolphins didn't seem too abused to me, they almost seemed playful and happy. The pictures the people there took of our groups turned out fantastic. It was a great experience - even the bus ride was nice as we got to see more of the island - and I felt it was money well spent. Good luck and enjoy your trip! :)

After reading this entire thread, I am definitely glad that DH and I have decided to not do any organized excursions and just stay near the ship. Someone earlier on called the shopping a female dream and male torture (or something to that effect). Is it safe for a female to walk through the shopping area on her own, or is it not recommended. I was thinking of paying for DH to have a massage so he'll be feeling wonderful when I tell him how much money I spent on pearls while he had the massage.

One other question. Is it possible to get some of the change from a sale in the local currency? I usually make a scrapbook for each of our longer cruises and like to put local currency in it.

Thanks so much,

Laura

Is it safe for a female to walk through the shopping area on her own, or is it not recommended. One other question. Is it possible to get some of the change from a sale in the local currency? I usually make a scrapbook for each of our longer cruises and like to put local currency in it.

Thanks so much,

Laura

The port is perfectly safe for you to walk around. The port is protected from outside visitors. That is why there are port guards checking visitors in and out. There are also national guards standing around. They are not there to intimidate you, but are there to impress you with the protection that you have.

You can ask someone for change in local currency, but most just give you the change out of their pocket.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate knowing that I'll be safe (of course practicing normal safety precautions of not wearing expensive jewelry and not flashing wads of money). DH is also prone to migraines, so just in case one comes on, I can let him know in advance that I've already checked it out and it's safe. Can't wait!! I'm especially excited about the pearls. God my first real strand at 16 and even have DH trained to buy me graduated pearls at the proper length. Life is good!

Laura

Ok, I'll admit to ignorance on this one. Is it safe to eat and drink the local foods without worrying about getting sick? Or are there any precautions I need to be aware of? DH does mission trips to Honduras and has to watch things very closely there, so it makes me ask this question every time we go somewhere new.

Laura

All water sold is bottled. The locals don't even drink tap water. I think it's too salty, since we are on an island. The food is fine. I personally wouldn't eat seafood that is being sold on the street corner, that has been sitting out there all day, but to each their own. ;) I think that you might not be getting the idea of how this port is. It is different than other ports that I have been to. It's not open for anyone and everyone to walk in, so it's protected. What is sold is regulated. What I mean is, we cannot sell anything that doesn't represent the island in some way. If it's handmade then the artist needs to be there to represent the work. Stuff like that. The entertainment is hired by the port, so everyone goes through a hiring process, and are checked in at the gates every morning. The restraunt is run by the port itself, so they make sure that it's safe to eat. They do have a fish that is left out, that you may think is to eat, but that is to show you the type of fish that you are getting if you order that. So, what I mean by all this is that you are as safe as you can be in walking around by yourself. I'm sure a crab can still pinch your toe or something, :D but you are not on your own in town. Of course, if you step out the gates you are then on your own. People do, every day, decide to walk up and down the long road outside the port, and I havn't heard of them having any problems yet. A lot of Germans like to take bike tours out there, and the dirtbikes like to run around on the salt flats. I hope this gives you a better idea of it all.

Kristina,

Since it is now the 24th I assume you are no longer on the island. This is OT but how will the flight restrictions affect you, if at all. Do you fly in and out of Venezuela?

Hi, Dawn. Actually, I fly out on Monday, but the 22nd was my last port day. :D Just to keep details simple I didn't mention that.

The only thing I know about concerning flight restrictions is Bush not allowing Venezuelans into the U.S., because of "terriosts", so Chavez is retaliating by doing the same. I'm an American citizen, so I don't have any problems entering and exiting the U.S. I also have my Venezuelan visa, so I don't have problems entering here. I went back to the U.S. a couple years ago, when there was another big fuss happening between the 2 presidents. All I got was a body search, and that was when I entered the U.S. If you want to know the story between them 2, try looking up an independent news site on the internet. You'll get a clearer picture of what's happening that way.

Kristina, thanks for the info. I wil check out more. I was refering to a DJ news wire (I work for a brokerage house) that said Venezuela was restricting flight from Delta and some other airlines and limiting AA access (not to take effect until March 1). So I was concerned that you might have a problem getting a flight back to Venezuela. I am not worried and look forward to visiting the island. If the regular people could just run the governments I think it would be a much more peaceful world. Have a safe trip.

I was supposed to fly from San Diego (my childhood home) to Chicago (my home now) on 9/11 so I know about searches. I am sorry I will miss you but will definately stop by the booth. I won't forget the name Janelle (or Jennele as my daughter's name is spelled) so I can definately find it.

Hi all.....and a big hello to Kristina....who we had the good fortune to meet while on Isla Margarita on Feb 10th, sailing the SUN princess. The area was just lovely and we enjoyed the day on the beaches, and shopping the straw market. To my surprize my DH loved the shopping as well:) The vendors were very friendly, and not at all pushy. We loved our experience here. We have travelled to many spanish speaking islands so it was great to say a few words to the vendors in spanish....they loved it when you welcomed them with a big HOLA!! If you know a few spanish words don't be afraid to us them....the smile you get in return is so worth it...they appreciate your efforts:)

To anyone going...don't fear...it is a very neat, safe area!

SF

Archived