Gift Expectations?

workingmom

We are going on a Carnival cruise (4 day) for the wedding of a friend. They are paying for the cruise for all of the guests. We are paying our airfare and hotel.

How much should we give as a gift? The usual rule is to "cover your plate" but this situation is so unique. (Obviously, we won't bring any large gifts, I had somethign small sent to their home already. Is it ok to round that out w/ cash?)

Thanks,

workingmom

workingmom,

Sorry no one has answered to help you out yet. I didn't know how to quite answer this question as our guest are paying to be on the cruise for our wedding and since the guest are paying we didn't expect anything. I do however know some people are giving money as it is easy to take on the cruise, as well as they know we are saving up for a new bedroom suit.

As to your question. A gift is a gift. If you think you haven't spent enough on the gift that was sent to the friends house, then I would give some money too. Money can always help for things they want on their registry or want in general.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I didn't know how to quite answer this question. Personally I guess it is what you feel in your heart, because this is a very different situation.

All the best,

Shari:p

I would look at the financial means of the bride and groom. If they are well off and can easily afford to pay for their guests - then a token gift that shows your love for them and your appreciation for this event would be fine. Since you already bought them a gift - I would stop at that. (But I would also write them a nice note when you got home.)

If on the other hand they have scrimped and saved to make this a memorable event for their loved ones - I would be as generous as you can be. I would look at this as more than a "plate" - but also as them taking you on vacation.

But I would never give more than you can comfortably afford. No one should ever expect a guest to do that. The fact that they are having this expensive wedding (rather than a traditional reception) should not turn into a financial burden for you. Hope this helps. Have a great time.

I am getting married on a Carnival cruise in March. My fiance and I have over 50 guests joining us, friends and family, some who have paid for themselves and others who we have helped. We've received shower gifts and definitely don't expect wedding gifts too. We are just grateful they will be with us!!

Everyone cruising with us is paying their own way, so we're not expecting any gifts at all. In fact, we're making this clear to everyone. Just the fact that our closet friends and family (some of whom are really having to scrimp and save for this) are joining us is big enough gift!

Archived