Just booked next cruise, first time taking toddler

isleschick3

I am so excited, we just booked a cruise for next January on the liberty going to HMC, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk. This will be our third cruise but the first with a child. I would love any suggestions or advice from other cruises who have taken a toddler. A big question I have is what others have done for excursions at these islands and what they have done about a carseat? Thanks!

I am so excited, we just booked a cruise for next January on the liberty going to HMC, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk. This will be our third cruise but the first with a child. I would love any suggestions or advice from other cruises who have taken a toddler. A big question I have is what others have done for excursions at these islands and what they have done about a carseat? Thanks!

HMC is nothing but a beach day on a beautiful island - enjoy.

In St. Thomas, there is much to do within walking distance of the pier (depending on where you are docking). Check out the ports of call board because there is just so much.

In Puerto Rico you dock in the old town area. If you have a stroller, you can walk around and up to the fort.

Grand Turk - no need for an excursion here either as the beach right at the pier is very nice.

Have a great cruise.

We've taken our kids with us since we've had them LOL How old will your little one be when you cruise? That might help with suggestions. In St Thomas I just held our 6 month old while the 3 and 5 yo sat on the seat next to us (took a tour up a mountain and through town, it was fun). All babies love the beach... except for when my daughter was 1 in Cozumel, she hated it LOL Her 2 year old brother loved it as did the bigger kids.

She will be 2 1/2 when we go.

If you are comfortable with it, then you can keep her in Camp Carnival at a port or two. We have four kids, when we only had one we would have been terrified, but now we look at it as a respite LOL So if there is something you would very much like to do that isn't kid appropriate, you do have that option. I think you just have to pick her up by 5 on most ships since CC closes to get ready for dinner. They can eat lunch with the camp counselors though.

We just got back from this very same cruise. We traveled with 4 adults and 4 kids from 2-14. We all had the times of our lives. This was the first cruise for my friends sons who where 5 and 2.

Here is what we did.

HMC got a cabana. Was very very nice to have a place to store all our stuff. It was up out of the sand and water. There is a table and 2 loungers in there as well. There is a fan and AC so when we needed to get of the water and sun we could go up there to chill. It also has a shower so you can rinse off. We have gotten one twice and love it.

Why we are willing to spend $$ on a cabana is... Each beach stop w/o a cabana is just not as nice. I dont know how many times a rogue wave would come up and get anything we had under the chair wet at all stops. So if we had all our belonging there they would of been wet or even ruined. The cabana kept our important stuff safe. you dont realize even as adults how much sand you drag around. Young kids are worse but it was nice to have our stuff put away and sand free.

Grand Turk we just sat at the beach. The pool is nice as well but the kids liked the beach and sand. Careful the beach is all man made so the coral does come through so just pick a nice spot to park yourself. If you want to avoid the sand. Go to the pool! If you go to the back side its not very busy nor is the music over powering.

San Juan We walked around the forts. My friends family walked up to one forts and walked around some but it was hot so they headed back to the ship. If you dont mind walking its fun to see. If you like history its AMAZING to see.

St Thomas we did Sunny Listons tour. We enjoyed the shopping and sight seeing then went to Coki beach. We enjoyed Coki beach its very rough looking outside the beach. Some of the staff and locals look a little shady. The water is nice, the view from the sand out to the sea AMAZING. You can feed the fish there they come close to the shore. The kids and hubbys enjoyed playing in the surf and snorkeling. The moms had a uneasy feeling so stayed close to our belongings. If you had nothing of value with you I would not of felt uneasy at all. Others in the group went to Saphirre beach and raved about it. So would mayeb try there instead.

We all very much liked this cruise. We chose it as it had a very kid friendly ports for small childern and first time cruisers. Camp was great for the kids. My 14 year old never went but the other 3 did and liked it alot. We had great waitstaff at dinner that treated the kids so well. They wanted for nothing. Charlie was amazing and kept them happy and entertained.

Enjoy your cruise please ask if you have more questions.

You are going to have a blast! We cruised with our 15 month old last year and she did really great! A tip we had was that on royal caribbean the pack n play fit in between the bed and the balcony window. It left the main area free to roam and it was really great to not have to undo it every day. I'm not sure if this will work on a carnival boat but worth a try. Also we did not bring a car seat with us. We just held her on the bus trips around islands. There probably wouldn't be a place to hook it to in an old, run down island bus anyway. Lastly, we were so glad we brought the umbrella stroller instead of the big one! Eventhough our daughter will be just over 2 on our next cruise and she can run around with the best of them, we will still bring it and let her fall asleep as the mood fits. Let your waiter know if there is anything specific you may need each night at dinner as well. Ours had milk waiting for us each night so that we had something to give her right away. Good luck!

If your toddler isn't potty trained they will NOT be allowed in the swimming pools or hot tubs...even with swim diapers on. :rolleyes:

When we took our kids on their first cruise our son wasn't potty trained so we bought a tiny kids blow up pool and took it to the top deck out of the way and filled it with water so he could play up there. It was a lot of trips for water but we were out there pretty much all day...he had a fantastic time. I would recommend one with a canopy if possible because it gets really hot. DH and I switched during the day and took turns taking our daughter to the pool while the other stayed with our son. HTH.

All the ports you are going to have beaches pretty much right off the ship or shopping and such...no need to get in a cab. They do not have carseats and DH and I are not very comfortable having them in the vehicle without a carseat. We have left them with Camp Carnival once but I didn't feel right because I was so nervous about not getting to the ship for some unforeseen reason and that got me too nervous to go far from the ship. LOL You can rent strollers from Camp Carnival if needed as well. Have a great time, our kids love cruising...they are now 3 and 5 but our son was under 2 for his first cruise.

Archived