Dress code help on alaska cruise

trrrip

Hi - booked on the Celebrity Mercury for an Alaskan cruise mid July. After reading some reviews there were a few people complaining about passengers who do not stick to the dress code. We will be going on a 3 week Canadian road trip prior to the cruise and don't have room to pack dinner suits and elegant evening wear. Obviously if we wer going on a med cruise packing more elegent cruise would be a given. Some of the reviewers were pretty offended about some passengers' dress.

Do you think it would be OK to take a smart casual outfit for the two formal nights, or a light lounge suit for my husband (it's always easier to pack one 'smartish' dress for a woman). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i would not go into the MDR or any bar etc unless I was dressed up. The limited buffet or my cabin if i did not want to dress.

With flying i am going for dressy pants and a top instead of a dress. my dresses are too summery for Alaska.

For a man he will want the suit just to be able to walk out on the deck at ngiht-wind!!

i would not go into the MDR or any bar etc unless I was dressed up. The limited buffet or my cabin if i did not want to dress.

With flying i am going for dressy pants and a top instead of a dress. my dresses are too summery for Alaska.

For a man he will want the suit just to be able to walk out on the deck at ngiht-wind!!

I wore a nice pair of slacks and a dressy sweater. Actually a plain black sweater with fancier jewelry work well. A pretty blouse with black slacks works well also.

Actually one thing I realized once I was on the cruise was that I wish I had brought sweat pants for lounging on the balcony. At home I wear sweat pants very rarely and then only inside my house but it would have been comfy to have them in Alaska on my balcony.

People just don't dress up as much as you are lead to believe on this board. Friends may be sitting together and all of the men may have on tuxes but that is definitely the exception. People wear nice clothes on formal night and most men wear a tie. A jacket is required. Ladies wear everything from nice church dresses to Mother of the bride dresses.

You'll see a lot more understated elegance than you will fancy ball gowns.

Weather is unpredictable. We have done two cruises at the end of August different years. One year it never got below 85. The next cruise it never got to 70.

We're touring on our own first and then cruising south in early June. I own a tux, and could also bring a suit. In either case, the tux or suit would not be used except on formal nights. So, I'm thinking of renting a tux through the cruise line (Celebrity). I'm also thinking that the % of cruisers in Alaska wearing tuxes would be lower than say the Caribbean. Am I right?

We're touring on our own first and then cruising south in early June. I own a tux, and could also bring a suit. In either case, the tux or suit would not be used except on formal nights. So, I'm thinking of renting a tux through the cruise line (Celebrity). I'm also thinking that the % of cruisers in Alaska wearing tuxes would be lower than say the Caribbean. Am I right?

YES!! just bring a suit and tie.. who knows you might wear the jacket to most dinners jsut to to ready to walk on deck with your camera in the middle of dinner.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi - booked on the Celebrity Mercury for an Alaskan cruise mid July. After reading some reviews there were a few people complaining about passengers who do not stick to the dress code. We will be going on a 3 week Canadian road trip prior to the cruise and don't have room to pack dinner suits and elegant evening wear. Obviously if we wer going on a med cruise packing more elegent cruise would be a given. Some of the reviewers were pretty offended about some passengers' dress.

Do you think it would be OK to take a smart casual outfit for the two formal nights, or a light lounge suit for my husband (it's always easier to pack one 'smartish' dress for a woman). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We are in the same boat (no pun intended) as far as our upcoming Alaska cruise in July. We will be visiting some friends on the Queen Charlotte Islands for about ten days prior to the cruise. We will be traveling back and forth from Vancouver before our cruise on Millennium. Since we are flying north from California, we will be carrying our baggage for the entire trip with us.

While we are on the QC Islands, we will be hiking, fishing, and boating into remote areas, and will mostly be wearing outdoor activity clothing. Jeans, hiking boots, jackets, etc.

Of course we plan to bring some nice clothing along for the cruise, but luggage space is definitely an issue (we will be taking a small plane back and forth to the QCs from Vancouver). I can hardly imagine my husband toting along formal wear (tuxedo?), but he will figure out a way to bring along a suit. Lots of extra shoes could also pose a problem, space-wise, as hiking boots and other outdoor gear are often bulky.

My question is: what about non-dining areas of the ship? Will we be expected to maintain the "smart casual" dress code there, too? Do people ever wear jeans out and about on the ship? Any suggestions are welcome.

Packing for an Alaska cruise is certainly more difficult because of the potential variances in weather. Also if you are going to be doing a lot of outdoor activities that requires coats/jackets/rain gear hiking boots etc that is a lot of luggage.

IMO opinion especially with 4 people going we are going to forego formal night in the MDR. I would rather pack another sweatshirt or pair of boots than a suit and dress shoes. I know you can rent a tux, but that is not an option for me.

B

Archived