Lamanai Tour options

melehundele

I am sailing to Belize on the NCL Spirit on February 25th. I think I would like to take the Lamanai tour and am trying to decide with whom to go. NCL offers an excursion, but I want to investigate the offerings of independent operators as well.

I contacted Island Marketing and, for some reason, they are not offering the tour that day. I am aware of Experience Belize as an option from reviews on CC. On the internet I found Fantasea Belize and Belize Explorer Travel but have not found any reviews.

Are there any other operators that you all might recommend? TIA

We did the tour through NCL last April. Remember that you have to tender from the ship in Belize, and those with NCL excursions get on the first tenders. This is almost a full day tour, so when you go with NCL, you do not have to worry about getting back late. We actually had enough time to shop briefly before getting back on the ship. The ruins were very cool, as well as the boat ride down the river to the ruins.

I would recommend doing the Lamanai tour thru the ship. We did it through RCCL and ended up being the first one's off the boat. In turn, our excursion lasted longer than anticipated, and we ended up being the last tender back to the boat (they were waiting on us).

On excursions that are not part of a cruise ship sanction trip, I don't imagine a tender waiting until you returned. You would be stuck trying to find a trip back if what happened to us, happened to someone on an excursion of their own making, I'm not sure how accommodating the ship would be. Just a suggestion.

May you enjoy whatever option you choose. :)

Decided to go with NCL's Lamanai trip and it was very good. Almost "unbelizeable" (nod to the tour guide, Edgar). We were on on of the first tenders and got to look around just a little after the tour before catching the last tender back.

another vote for the ship's tour..our guide was the best (jewell). nice to not worry about getting back in time. we made it back in time to just walk on the last tender.

the tour was great and jewell was very informative about life in belieze city and the ruins.

We didn't do Lamani but we did Xunantunich a few weeks ago with belizecruiseexcursions.com and they were wonderful. They said they did the Lamani excursion too because I asked them because when I go back I want to do that one. They are a wonderful company and very reliable. They knew when we had to be back. This is their business and they don't want you to be late. That would be bad business and they can't use that. Check them out! See if JP could be your guide. He is awesome!

If you can go with a ship excursion that is best. Not only are you protected if you come back late, but my experience was we saw more and were at the ruins longer than the private tours.

We went to Lamanai with a ship tour. An acquaintance of ours went with a private tour the same day. We had lunch, saw the museum and toured three temples, the ball court and the residential area.

They saw two temples and I guess had lunch. They were happy, they didn't know what they missed, but I was glad we had that extra time to really enjoy the area.

Maybe not all private tours are like that, but they do know they want to get you back in time plus they have to wait for everyone off the tender, so they don't have as much time to devote to the ruins.

• 8 months later...

OK, I need to repeat the first question of the thread: does somebody had experience with Fantasea Belize tour to Lamanai. Unfortunately our ship (Maasdam) does not have this tour in the program, and Island Marketing (aka belizetcruisexcursions.com) doesn't have it at this day too. So the only option I've found is Fantasea. They are unfortunately also more expensive, than Island Marketing ($100 pp, instead of $75). For 3 people it is quite a difference. But at least to know if they worth it and how they are reliable? Anybody?

Thank you,

Ilya

• 1 month later...

Did you ever find out anything about this company? (Fantasea) I am looking at booking something with them but when I search for posts on here yours is the only one I found. Just curious if you were pleased with them.

Archived