I'm overwhelmed...where do I start?

gigem_aggies

I just love all the research. This site is such a great help too.

Here are some of my quick trip prep tips and suggestions.

These Cruise Critic boards can be super great. Here are two key suggestions. First, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see items on a wide range of subjects within each area. Second, do a search on this board by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask.

One of my favorite travel books are those from Eyewitness. They have a nice summary of the various historic details and timelines there, plus so many great pictures, maps, building cutaway diagrams, etc. Are their details and depth the best out there? No! Most of us, however, are not needing that much info. We want the basic background and overview. As the saying goes . . . "We want to know what time it is, not how the watch works!" Their visuals really help me pull it all together in an understandable manner. The Michelin Green books can be very good with their details, etc. I will borrow many of the top books from the library and pull the "best of the best" from each one.

Some might say Wikipedia is not perfect, but I have found most of their articles to be good and helpful in getting that overview for where we are going to visit, that history, connections to other websites and visuals, etc. I would not rely exclusively on Wikipedia, but it has been helpful and has those nice links to probe deeper on any areas of added interest. I will also pull up past travel articles from the New York Times and some key British newspapers. I'll copy those articles and highlights onto my computer file as I plan and prepare for these upcoming trips. Then I can go back and re-read them, pull up these highlights, before and after our trip.

On how to approach your trip, here is a key question: What and how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in Europe, etc? Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice. Agree that you need some time to people-watch, savor the moment, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 4 weeks later...
Well I may be a little OCD......but I start with a three ring binder. I have sections for all phases of the trip. Air arrangements/confirmations, hotel confirmations, transporatation (if prearranged), cruise, then a section for each port. I print out stuff I find online and/or excursion arrangements. I also have a section for roll call info (Meet N Mingle) and even a section for a list of what we wear each day/night....... pretty bad huh ? BUT it keeps me organized and I havent forgotten to pack anything yet or to severly overpack (some items get worn twice)

and yes......read the boards !!!!!! You will find a TON of info here. Also - I start with the ships tours for info. They usually have a varied assortment of stuff. Then I go to the Ports section and read about those. I also go to Frommers online (some use Rick Steves or Fodors etc). Slowly narrow down what to do by what interests you the most. Some people are heavy into the history/museums and others like more adventure type stuff. We like to do both so try to mix the two.

We did a wonderful tour with Ekol in Kusadasi...... 4X4 jeep tour. It was an awesome day. Adventure with history and some shopping and eating thrown in :D Athens - we did DIY using the metro. Focused on the Acropolis and the Plaka...... way too much to see in one day...... we will go back hopefully ! Rome - well Rome is Rome......you can't see it all in a month let alone a couple of days. Hit the high spots and remember to take some time to just stroll, relax and enjoy the "feeling" of Rome. It is a truly magical place. (Can u tell - I love Rome?) And last - have fun planning - don't stress about it. It should be half the fun !

I have NEVER been to Rome and have 3 days there before cruising -- I would SO welcome your suggestions on what to do each day. I am supposed to plan Rome and I am overwhelmed. Thank you.

I have NEVER been to Rome and have 3 days there before cruising -- I would SO welcome your suggestions on what to do each day. I am supposed to plan Rome and I am overwhelmed. Thank you.

There's lots and lots to do and see in Rome. Tell us more on your past Europe travels and what you like to enjoy in such cities for history, culture, food, art, architecture, shopping, etc.??? I would suggest going to the Italy board. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many items on Rome, etc. SECOND, do a search on this board about Rome on various subjects connected with this port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with more specific questions and your background for Rome. Be sure to have a title that narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and needing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

PUP: Not sure how you guys are....but dh and I enjoy experiencing all the different things..... meaning we aren't just into museums, or shopping, or making sure we see every church etc.....

Our first trip there we did a private tour of the Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters one morning. All morning. Then we had a pizza lunch in a little hole-in-the-wall place and took a taxi to the Coliseum. We then did a private tour of the Forum/Coliseum and Palantine Hill. Lots of walking(even with taking a taxi) but oh, we had a wonderful time. We walked at night too. To the Spanish steps and Trevi fountain.

Our second trip we slowed down. Mostly just strolled. Stayed by the Pantheon and toured that. Piazza Navonna, Campo di Fiori, The wedding cake, again to the Coliseum and walked all around the area....including around back of the Palantine Hill to Circus Maximus. But we did it slowly.

My best advice is to make a list of what you want to see....in the order of importance to you. Then pick 2 or at most 3 things to do each day. Try to keep those items grouped by location and/or ease of doing them. For instance..... Vatican needs tickets whereas Trevi fountain does not. You just go and see it. Coliseum needs tickets whereas Spanish steps do not.

Get a good map too. You will see that the Vatican is closer to Spanish steps and Borghese gardens/museum is very near Steps. Trevi and Pantheon are close together as is Piazza Navonna and Camp di Fiori. Coliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill and Circus Maximus are all near each other.

and remember to make some time to not do anything at all ! Sit outside at a cafe and have dinner and people watch. Stroll around afterwards and find a gelato place. Soak it up !

Hope this helps.

PUP: Not sure how you guys are....but dh and I enjoy experiencing all the different things..... meaning we aren't just into museums, or shopping, or making sure we see every church etc.....

Our first trip there we did a private tour of the Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters one morning. All morning. Then we had a pizza lunch in a little hole-in-the-wall place and took a taxi to the Coliseum. We then did a private tour of the Forum/Coliseum and Palantine Hill. Lots of walking(even with taking a taxi) but oh, we had a wonderful time. We walked at night too. To the Spanish steps and Trevi fountain.

Our second trip we slowed down. Mostly just strolled. Stayed by the Pantheon and toured that. Piazza Navonna, Campo di Fiori, The wedding cake, again to the Coliseum and walked all around the area....including around back of the Palantine Hill to Circus Maximus. But we did it slowly.

My best advice is to make a list of what you want to see....in the order of importance to you. Then pick 2 or at most 3 things to do each day. Try to keep those items grouped by location and/or ease of doing them. For instance..... Vatican needs tickets whereas Trevi fountain does not. You just go and see it. Coliseum needs tickets whereas Spanish steps do not.

Get a good map too. You will see that the Vatican is closer to Spanish steps and Borghese gardens/museum is very near Steps. Trevi and Pantheon are close together as is Piazza Navonna and Camp di Fiori. Coliseum/Forum/Palantine Hill and Circus Maximus are all near each other.

and remember to make some time to not do anything at all ! Sit outside at a cafe and have dinner and people watch. Stroll around afterwards and find a gelato place. Soak it up !

Hope this helps.

I have never been to Rome. I am going with my sister-in-law who has, however she told me to research and we will do whatever I want to do. There is so much that i am overwhelmed. We arrive July 7 and cruise from Venice July 10. I am concerned about crowds and theft as last year with my DD and DH I was assaulted in the Dominican Republic. Since then I am a bit timid ...... I just want to go, relax and enjoy Rome. Not worry and stress too much, have had a great deal of that this past year, so I need a break :)

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Archived