Athens, Crete, Sicily private tour & transportation

namarib

We are a family of 9 (grandpaprents, parents and kids 8,9,10 years old) traveling from Rome on the Navigator of the Seas in June. We want a van to pick us up at each of the ports (Sicily, Athens and Crete) and a guide to take us to see some highlights. We want to avoid the expensive group excursions and want the flexibility of our own guide and timetable. Have arranged a tour in Ephesus but am having trouble finding one for Athens and Crete and just transortation from Messina to Touramina in Sicily. Thanks for suggestions and resources.

Last year in Athens we (family of six) used Nikos Loukas of privategeecetours. Excellent service, flexible itinerary, very knowledgeable. We had a spacious Mercedes minivan. I have booked him again for my next visit to Athens in July.

In Rome we used Danielle of driverinrome and enjoyed an excellent tour too. Not sure if they do tours in Messina though.

In any case I highly recommend both companies.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. did you find any info on the Crete tour? My husband and I are trying to find the same thing as we're on the same trip celebrating our 30th anniversary. I've been searching the boards. We plan to do Athens on our Own, and also, Messina /Taormina on our Own by using the ship to get us to town, and we explore on our own. Anything I found on the boards for transportation to Taorimina was equivelent to the ship price. But I haven't found much on Crete and would like to know what you might have found on your searches?

thanks

• 1 year later...
Hi. did you find any info on the Crete tour? My husband and I are trying to find the same thing as we're on the same trip celebrating our 30th anniversary. I've been searching the boards. We plan to do Athens on our Own, and also, Messina /Taormina on our Own by using the ship to get us to town, and we explore on our own. Anything I found on the boards for transportation to Taorimina was equivelent to the ship price. But I haven't found much on Crete and would like to know what you might have found on your searches?

thanks

Did you ever find any good tour information for Crete? Will be on Celebrity Equinox Med. November 18, 2011.

Unsinkable49@gmail.com

Last year in Athens we (family of six) used Nikos Loukas of privategeecetours. Excellent service, flexible itinerary, very knowledgeable. We had a spacious Mercedes minivan. I have booked him again for my next visit to Athens in July.

In Rome we used Danielle of driverinrome and enjoyed an excellent tour too. Not sure if they do tours in Messinathough.

In any case I highly recommend both companies.

Our family of 9 is also booked with Nikos of Private Greece Tours. He does come highly recommended. We also hired an additional guide to make navigating the sites more efficient. I understand the challenges of finding good transport/guide for a large group.

For our Rome pre-cruise we're using Rome in Limo. I think Rome in Limo also does Sicily but I am not sure of the details. There are several other companies in Sicily such as Sicily Life, etc., just check in the Italy section and search for Messina. There has been some controversy this week regarding Mario Astone, who we're booked with for Messina. But he has a limit of 8. Our group is dividing in Messina with half taking an Etna excursion through Etna Experience.

For Crete we plan to do it on our own. I checked into a couple of taxi type drivers but none could handle 9. It seems that for the Port of Souda they are providing a city bus to transport into the old section of Chania. I understand the old Venetian section of Chania is small and easy to navigate on your own. Plus in the central square you can catch a bus to the beach which is what the teens in our group want to do.

Seems you will be on the Navigator before us. Please be sure to post a review afterwards. :)

Our family of 9 is also booked with Nikos of Private Greece Tours. He does come highly recommended. We also hired an additional guide to make navigating the sites more efficient. I understand the challenges of finding good transport/guide for a large group.

For our Rome pre-cruise we're using Rome in Limo. I think Rome in Limo also does Sicily but I am not sure of the details. There are several other companies in Sicily such as Sicily Life, etc., just check in the Italy section and search for Messina. There has been some controversy this week regarding Mario Astone, who we're booked with for Messina. But he has a limit of 8. Our group is dividing in Messina with half taking an Etna excursion through Etna Experience.

For Crete we plan to do it on our own. I checked into a couple of taxi type drivers but none could handle 9. It seems that for the Port of Souda they are providing a city bus to transport into the old section of Chania. I understand the old Venetian section of Chania is small and easy to navigate on your own. Plus in the central square you can catch a bus to the beach which is what the teens in our group want to do.

Seems you will be on the Navigator before us. Please be sure to post a review afterwards. :)

Thank you for the information.Nikos also came highly recommended. I emailed him and got more info. He said that their guides are not allowed inside the sites. I presume that is why you hired a "seperate " guide . Was tghis arranged through Nokos and what is the cost.

Are you taking a full day or half day tour and why.

Thanks

Michael

Hi,drivers are not allowed to get inside to Arch.sites and if you want you hire a guide.We had a tour with greeceathenstours and our driver explained us a lot about Arch.sites and history of Athens that we understand and learned a lot.

Thank you for the information.Nikos also came highly recommended. I emailed him and got more info. He said that their guides are not allowed inside the sites. I presume that is why you hired a "seperate " guide . Was tghis arranged through Nokos and what is the cost.

Are you taking a full day or half day tour and why.

Thanks

Michael

Nikos has arranged for the seperate guide at the total cost of 200 euros. We're very pleased with this because I want to see the Acropolis, plus Acropolis museum and highlights of the Arch. museum. With an ambitious intinerary and 9 of us, both Nikos and I thought the private guide at the sites would be better.

I know if you do a search on this forum you will find some other positive comments on Nikos and specifically on the extra guides he has provided.

Regarding Messina to Taromina, we rented a vehicle from Hertz (walking distance from the port) and drove it ourselves. The drive is very easy and beautiful and on our own timeframe. Of course, we are just two so size of vehicle was not an issue. I am suggesting it is worth a little investigation to see the cost and if a vehicle is availabe that can fit your group. Regarding Athens, we used Dennis at http://www.toursofathens.com. He is very knowledgeable and has a vehicle that could fit your party, I believe. As you have discovered, drivers cannot go in the sites with you, however, Dennis filled us in on what we were going to be looking at before we went into the sites, so we felt informed enough for our taste. With one day only in Athens, there isn't a lot of time for indepth transfer of knowledge. Have a great trip!!

Archived