Southern Caribbean Dive Spots?

MargaritaPlease

We're signed up to do the Southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan on the Carnival Victory next year. It includes the following ports:

• St. Thomas
  • Dominica
  • Barbados
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Kitts
  • St. Maarten

I've been to a couple of these before but the only place I dove was at St. Thomas - OK, but nothing outstanding.

Has anyone dived/dove/diven/gone diving during port days at any of the other islands listed here? How was it? Which would you recommend? Which would you avoid?

Make sure you dive in both St. Lucia and Dominica. And I second Superman's Leap, it was amazing this past November! In Dominica we did several beautiful dives also (2 of my 3 favorite all time dive spots, with the other being Bonaire!). St. Thomas is usually very good to good, St. Maarten not too good at all! But still a nice dive compared to sitting here at home!

If you felt the diving in St. Thomas was OK, you will be even more disappointed with the diving in St. Maarten

St. Thomas is usually very good to good, St. Maarten not too good at all!

Good stuff - thanks. I didn't think St. Thomas was bad - just not very unique or different. Maybe it was just the specific sites. Thanks for the input!

I'm taking this exact cruise in week and half. I want to get in a couple of dives, but the wife doesn't scuba so I'm going to have to work around her schedule too.

The only dive I have planned so far is St. Kitts with "Pro Divers".

I'll let you know what I think when I get back.

I'm taking this exact cruise in week and half. I want to get in a couple of dives, but the wife doesn't scuba so I'm going to have to work around her schedule too.
Might I suggest going to Coki Beach in St. Thomas? You can do a guided shore dive there and she can snorkel or just hang out on the beach during the 45 or so minutes you're underwater. While it might not be the very best dive available in St. Thomas, you will still get to stay together.

That, or try to convince her to do a discover scuba dive and go with her.

I have dove the last 2 yrs in the following ports in Apr all 2 tank dives. My favorite dive ports were St Lucia and Dominica. I always booked my dives with independants. Saves between $30 - $60 from what the ship would of cost me per 2 tank dive.

St Thomas - Taxi to Coki Beach and dove with Coki Beach Dive Club. Did shore dives since it had almost been 1 yr since my last dives. Okay dive the least favorite of all the sites. As mentioned above if one doesn't dive then they can snorkel or just lay around. 1st yr 2 with guide - 2 nd yr just me.

Dominica - Dove with Al Dive. Small outfit. Will pick you up at the ship and drive you to their shop. Last yr their dock wasn't functional so had to drive alittle bit down the rd after getting our gear to another dock. Small fast boat but old with no shade. They take you to shore between dives so have some water shoes or something so you can walk around. Both yrs 6 divers dive master and boat Captain. All divers - cruise ship.

St Lucia - Dove with Island Divers located at Ti Kaye Resort. They pick you up right outside the ship pier by boat. A nice 20 min or so boat ride to the resort to gear up. Last yr was a new boat with cabin and lots of shade. They have lunch packages for divers and non divers. Depart back to the ship at 3 pm. Diving was great and it was nice relaxing at the resort after the dives and having a beer or 2. 1 st yr 5 divers, DM and boat Captain, 2 nd yr 3 divers, DM and boat Captain.

1 st yr 3 divers - cruise ship. 2 nd yr I was the only cruise ship diver.

St Kitts - Dove with Pro Divers. Pick up at the ship pier and driven to their shop. Not far. After diving they droped me off at the pier. Great boat. Lots of room and shade. Diving sites are right there in the bay. 1 st yr 5 divers and DM. 2 nd yr 2 divers, DM and boat Captain. 1 st yr - 3 cruise ship divers. 2 nd yr only cruise ship diver.

Enjoy

Archived